Some Studio Scale TIE Fighter/Interceptor Questions

Flintlock

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I asked Steve Neisen a question in another thread, but maybe someone else can help me. I need to make a Plastruct order today and I want to order the 5" hemispheres and the cross-tube. But, I don't know the diameter I need for the cross-tube. Also, I don't know what the size of the other shapes are: the T-Rod and H-Column. Can anyone help me out here?

I asked Steve Neisen a question in another thread, but maybe someone else can help me. I need to make a Plastruct order today and I want to order the 5" hemispheres and the cross-tube. But, I don't know the diameter I need for the cross-tube. Also, I don't know what the size of the other shapes are: the T-Rod and H-Column. Can anyone help me out here?

No love guys, no love...

I can tell you the T- strip you need is 1/8" T-4 from Plastruct.

Thanks Flint. I have some of that - in white fineline styrene. I originally got it for my 1:48 Y Wing, but decided to use the ABS Tee instead, because it's a little more rigid.

I also picked up some of that Prismatic stuff for the Interceptor panels.

I am going to take model building more seriously and devote a couple days per week to work on several projects I want to do.

Flint, does the 1/8" Tee fit right into the H-Column? I was at the store today and tried this out - the 1/8" tee fits snugly into the 1/4" H column. I'll take a peek at the reference shots I have...

Sorry. Didn't clarify. The T-track I was talking about is for the Interceptor.
What is needed for the regular TIE I don't know.

No love guys, no love...

Yes, I know what this feels like, I was trying to find someone who had some 1/15 Hummel castings, but no such luck for me either.... I wish I could give you some help, I would be interested in scratch building one of these myself, but those wing stars would be a nightmare!

I can tell you this, the Tamiya older Shinano parts are on the back, the same ones that are on the tie bomber.

Dave

Last edited:
Thanks Dave. I thought those parts were actually from the Hanomag. I've got to search around a bit to find an older Shinano. If you still need Hummel castings, I might be able to get you what you need.

I am pretty sure it has been mentioned, but for the life of me I can't find it. What are the things up front that hold the LEDs for the lasers? I know the LEDs themselves are orange - although I am going to use green. But what are the things that hold them?

They are LED holders!!!! They are just backwards. You drill a hole in a panel, and this is pushed in from the front, then a ring is snaps over it from behind and then you push the LED through.

Hope this helps, I'll pm you about the parts, also, I may have a possible source for the LED holders if you want it.

Dave

They are LED holders!!!! They are just backwards. You drill a hole in a panel, and this is pushed in from the front, then a ring is snaps over it from behind and then you push the LED through.

Hope this helps, I'll pm you about the parts, also, I may have a possible source for the LED holders if you want it.

Dave

Absolutely, Dave. Thanks a lot!

I got my Plastruct Hemispheres in the mail, and I was looking at my reference pics while holding them. I figured that I could vacuform sheet plastic over one of them to make structures like the front window, the top "hatch," and the bottom piece. Then, I realized that Plastruct sells flat dishes, and it looks like they could have been used also. Using the Fine Molds TIE as a guide, I calculated I would need a 3" Flat Dish for the top and bottom pieces, and a 3 1/4" Flat Dish for the front window. Can anyone corroborate this?

Then, I would vacuform sheet ABS to the inside of the dishes to make the front window frame, and the top view port frame. For the front, the dish will be cut out to make the outermost ring.

I am just brainstorming at this stage. I also dipped into my parts bins last night and found several tiny parts that go on the wing stars. This made me happy because usually I search for hours and end up getting a headache.

Also, in the TIE Fighter auction thread, I think it was mentioned that the wings are 17 3/4" tall. However, using my Fine Molds TIE Wing, I get a measurement of 16 7/8." Don't tell me that the FM TIE is not only wrongly scaled but out of proportion as well!

The FM proportion method that I am using also yields a diameter of 1 1/8" for the cross-tube. That is being shipped as I type from Plastruct, along with the rest of the shapes I need for my TIE Bomber. I also have sheets of 0.080" Acrylic for the TIE Fighter and Interceptor wings. I got it from Lowes, where I got the Prismatic sheets for the Interceptor.

The LED panel holders should be available from a variety of places. I mean, they are still in use. I don't have the size off hand.

At one point, I thought the actual emitter part was from a kit (an amber lens from a truck kit or a motor bike). But after seeing some closeup photos and then playing with this one, all it is is a piece of beveled acrylic rod.

Gene

My quick math on the TIE I saw at Profiles -

Wing height = 17 3/16" (using the one good wing). Overall thickness of the solar panel area is 1/4" (the wing hub area is thicker however).

Arm tube diameter = 1 1/4" (15" should be enough)

I wouldn't use any commercially available toy or kit as a reference for measurements. Too many places along the line for it to go all wrong.

Gene

Thanks Gene. This is helpful. The only reason I was using the FM kit is because that's all I have to go on until Steve gets back to posting. I already ordered the 1 1/8" tube, but that's no big deal. I have to make another order anyway for the flat dishes, some sheets, and other structures. I can probably figure out the Tee sizes, but I am not sure about the H Column.

Could someone do me a favor please? Could anyone who has one of the Neisen kits measure the diameter of the front window, the top canopy, the bottom piece, and the rear piece?

I would greatly appreciate it.

I think I figured some things out. Gene, you said that the wing thickness is 1/4", and since the edges of the wings (H-columns) are the widest part (not counting the center hub) the H-column size is 1/4". 1/8" Tee would fit nicely inside this, and stick up a small amount, as seen on the TIEs. If the center sheet that makes up the surface that the Koolshade lays on is 0.080", then this would leave just a small amount inside the H column for the thickness of the Koolshade. I don't know how thick the Koolshade is...

Also, as far as the dish diameters, back at the beginning of Neisen's TIE Kit thread, he used the same diameter plug cutter to bore out the center of the TIE. So, all of the dishes should be the same diameter. I am not sure if 3" or 3 1/4" is the right diameter, however, just that they should all be the same.

1 1/4" for the cross-tube looks to thick to me, but I guess my eyes are just fooling me.

If the center sheet that makes up the surface that the Koolshade lays on is 0.080", then this would leave just a small amount inside the H column for the thickness of the Koolshade.

.125 not .080 makes for a perfect fit with the .250 H beam. The "T" strut is only used on the ESB version. The middle ridge within the H beam is just 1/16 strip styrene glued in place.

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back