X-Wing Research: Differences Between the Hero and Pyro Models

Well, theres a hole i that wing Jason, showing an inner plate, so therefore, would this be "hero" construct, and not cast as per a Pyro?

lee

Sadly, i can't recall... I only took a pic of the top side, as I was spending most of my time documenting the Alien Sidearm (PRIORITIES, JASON!!!)

Well, theres a hole i that wing Jason, showing an inner plate, so therefore, would this be "hero" construct, and not cast as per a Pyro?

lee

Yeah bro I can notice this hole in the rear edge ! Very strange because... take a look at the Elephant part, it's full of airbubbles...

Bro i agree, the cans look cast too, but the actual wing looks "dual layer" interesting, well we know they cast up runs of the F4J engines for use, so there must have been a load of parts runs for all birds, or did heros have OE parts only as they were posh birds? LOL.

lee

This is the only pic I have showing Red 4. There are also two X-Wings in this group of seven with Red 1 markings.

xwingsgx4.jpg

The wing looks like the one Jason first posted.

Rick, on the subject of the Red1, yes ive noticed two variants in the past day lol while studying ref, looking at a published pic (tech journal), and a non published, it appears Red 1 had the pyro/hero treatment, the wing markings differ, in the fact some of the weathering doesnt quite add up to the "hero" prop in the Journal.

lee

Yeah, RKX - that is the Red 4 that has me perplexed as to hero/pyro - it has a conehead Astromech... you can just barely tell in that photo you posted.

4droid.jpg

xwingsgx4.jpg

I'm sure we've all seen these a million times, but hey - if we're doing a research thread, maybe these will help:

23.jpg

24.jpg

25.jpg

26.jpg

27.jpg

31.jpg

32.jpg

Before and after (pow pow!):
33.jpg

29.jpg

34.jpg

35.jpg

My fave:
37.jpg

38.jpg

39.jpg

This last one has a mystery or two - that yellow cockpit X doesn't appear to be the Red 4 "hero/pyro" - different droid, a yellow stripe on the upper left laser cannon, etc etc
40.jpg

Last edited:
Beaz, agreed on the plexi, me and a couple of friends share the same sentiment, and have the same plans lol, the inners of the wings look to be around 2mm styrene, maybe thinner...and i love the undercuts in the wells, hence i want to have full hero wings too.

Yeah, the outer plate is acrylic while the inner is styrene. The plexi plate is thicker than the styrene one. The lower round shape of the intakes is also acrylic tubing cut in half with a U channel glued on the lip.

Thanks guys. Let me know if you're interested in sharing hero wing plans. I recently purchased a small, variable speed table saw so I can cut the acrylic components to shape. I'm also interested ideas on the original wing internals, armature, u-channel, etc. I can offer dimensions from the pyro wing patterns I have. Mike's V3 wings are a really close match, but there are a few differences. For all I know, his is the more accurate.

Where in the world do you get pictures like this? Also, are those orange parts holding the engines up from the Sealab III?

That one is a screencap I took from the Sculpting a Galaxy DVD. A number of really cool pictures in there, including a bunch that Jason just posted. The limited edition is pricey, but worth it. There goes my retirement... :)

And yes, those orange parts under the rear engines are from the Sealab kit.

That one is a screencap I took from the Sculpting a Galaxy DVD. A number of really cool pictures in there, including a bunch that Jason just posted. The limited edition is pricey, but worth it. There goes my retirement... :)

And yes, those orange parts under the rear engines are from the Sealab kit.

Thanks! I need to dig back into my boxes and find those. I don't think there are any other Sealab pieces I missed...

Beaz, we're designing (and eventually machining) an armature to fit the V3... right now we're actually crazy enough to consider motorizing the wings if it's not CRAZY expensive. My laser cutter will be making me some wings, so at some point in the near future, we'll have an .ai file to share - would love to collaborate to make it perrrfect.

All these amazing pictures! Never get tired of looking at them, especially the new ones - please do keep them coming! :)

As for this one:

red6.jpg

I have the exact same problem counting its stripes. Reminds me of that old optical illusion:

trident.gif

I think it's the same principle at work here!

Beaz, we're designing (and eventually machining) an armature to fit the V3... right now we're actually crazy enough to consider motorizing the wings if it's not CRAZY expensive. My laser cutter will be making me some wings, so at some point in the near future, we'll have an .ai file to share - would love to collaborate to make it perrrfect.

Heck yeah, Jason, please do count me in. What could possibly be cooler than a true-to-the-originals armature and motorized wings! It would be an honor to help out in any way.

Yeah, today I'm seeing six.

There... are.... six.... stripes!

red6maybe.jpg

And those green arrows point to stuff that's just plain funky, when you look at 1,2,3 and 5.

That last pic Jason looks reversed, the yellow markings on Red 1 are on the wrong side, unless every other pic ive seen is reversed LOL.

Yes Beaz, were on it buddy, im looking at controller boards and servo options right now as we feel maybe steppers could be a pain in the butt to pull off the way ILM did, were just not sure on the drive system TBH, i can only see one main gear!

I reckon with the right cantilevers on the armature pivots could work out great for servo operation, and slow smooth linear movement!

lee

Jason, is the pick below that DS posted the counter part to the wing you posted of a Red4 wing from Bob Burns collection?

red4wingrm3.jpg

I like the funky stuff, I also like the yellow canopy one. Anything different in my opinion, I don't know about anyone else, but I can't stand to see another Red5. :lol

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back