Need help with my Arthur Dent costume... especially the pants!

Dante8

I'm going as Arthur Dent for my first costumed GenCon! I've got this robe, two old shirts (one white, one blue), and this towel (not accurate, but as close as I could get on relatively short notice).

The part I"m having trouble with is the striped pajama pants. I've tried googling all different combinations of red striped pajama pants, fabrics, and even went so far as to look for pirate costumes that might work out and I'm not having any luck.

They appear to be red/burgundy or red/black, and I have no idea whether they were purchased or made for the film.

Here is an image of the Arthur Dent action figure for reference:
dent.jpg

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Man, those look like easy pants. Ill do some searching online for you and post any photos.

Honestly, you might be able to go to hobby lobby or wherever - and just buy a similar fabric and make them yourself. Probably would cost less than 10 bucks!

This will be such a fun costume! You have GOT to share photos! Don't forget to get the toy gun too!

Or find some red pajama pants and mask off some stripes and paint them black with spray paint. I've done this before for something similar and if you do a light enough mist, it won't make the fabric stiff.

That's the real annoying thing about it... they look easy, but I'm having trouble finding the appropriate fabric. I haven't checked our Hobby Lobby yet, but a few other fabric shops in my area are striking out.

I'll check there, I have no problem making the pants instead of buying them. Good idea regarding the spray paint, that would probably work out in a pinch!

Thanks guys!

From what I've seen, you're correct, the wide stripes are a light red/dark red combination, and even 6 years later, are hard to find.
The slippers I believe to be red as well, and just to complete his ensemble, in certain scenes, for a split second, you can see he is wearing a red shirt under the white one that is under the blue one.

I made one of my red t-shirts into a dickey so as not to be too layered and hot as a costume.
I also made my own PJ bottoms out of a Damask Stripe bedsheet set. The stripes are too narrow, but I've only had the week to look for all the costume parts.
Look for pics coming soon to https://www.facebook.com/dyme.dfw in album All-Con 2014.

Regards,
--Electro--

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back