SDCC08 - Dr WHO Replicas!

Yes, and what I didn't mention was that he also stated he had been working on one for a couple of years now and could not get a few things right.

Let's a least wait until Neill sells all five hundred before the secrets be revealed.

Also, got a message from Martina. My sonic is back with them. No specific target yet for re-shipping, but hopeful...:love

The nice thing is, when the package comes back to me, I get to :eek all over again!

Everything is re-casting here. Didn't you know that?

Kidding.

I just made an assumption based on the implied tone of NMR's post is all.

I am only saying that because before the MFX replica was available people came to me for measurements from the 1:1 CO prototype, which I gladly provided. I guess I could have taken the tact that it was mine and everyone else could pound sand but I didn't, I shared.

No personal attack against you Ron, you're my bud. or to anyone..just a general statement of surprise.

You were awesome, and your pics were the only way we got ACCURATE measurements. We were trying to do a at cost group run when we thought the MFX wasn't going to happen, or would be the pop-up, button version. When Neill announced they were going to hit, and our price was not that much less than his, we dropped it.
The guy I was talking to was only trying to benefit himself with the measurements.
I hope that makes sense.

I am only saying that because before the MFX replica was available people came to me for measurements from the 1:1 CO prototype, which I gladly provided. I guess I could have taken the tact that it was mine and everyone else could pound sand but I didn't, I shared.

No personal attack against you Ron, you're my bud. or to anyone..just a general statement of surprise.

Whatever happened to the 'other' prototype? The one on this page http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=47358&page=2 post #20. The one with the... pop up button-slider?
I was wondering the same thing... what DID happen to this beauty?

DSC00371a.jpg

LaserScrewdriverProto.jpg

house-do-want.jpg

Last edited:
"I feel like an old friend has just died!"
:lol

Actually, I imagine Neill might know what happened to that prototype. I have absolutely NO CLUE what MFX would do with such a thing. But if there's one thing I've learned in my years as a collector of SF memorabilia, it's that such things have a way of surviving and turning up years later. ;)

I got mine today- and guess what, worked four or five times, then nothing- I've used what little skill I have with electronics, and I've narrowed it down to the LED blowing...

Neil, you did use LEDs with a built in resistor, didn't you?

Suddenly, and without warning, just as I was about to start the long walk to my workshop, the LED started working again...

I'm confused...

And it's stopped again...

???

AND it's ok again! I'm even more certain that it's the lack of a limiting resistor that's doing it- the LED is 'recovering' form the too high current, which allows it to light again before it gets 'overheated' again...

(By the by, I'm not at all unhappy with it, it's beautifully machined and finished, the instructions are very clear, and it feels very 'real', well done, MFX! :) )

Last edited:
They are using a 3mm white LED that has a 3 to 6 volt rating. So three batteries at 4.5 volts won't blow it out. What you have is a bad connection (Like the rest of us). It may look like a blown LED, but it's an intermittent power supply issue. Unless you have an OHM meter to measure the LED with and know for certain it's popped, I would venture dollars to donuts it's a switch issue, not LED.

Well, as the moulded lens came loose, I've been able to get at the actual LED- and by applying a spare LED to the contacts of the Sonic's LED, I can see if it's the switch or not...

...and it's not the switch.

PS: the LED is working again, and mine's blue, not white!?

EDIT: Hmm, I've cleaned the brass contact on the switch, and it's working just fine, I'm even more confused than usual...

EDIT 2: The LED's stopped again, and keeping my thumb on the switch, I've tried my spare LED on the Sonic's LED contacts, and it's lighting ok, so more confusion...

Last edited:
This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back