Any photos of the Hoth Shield Gen or Besbin buildings?

Sumatra

Sr Member
Adywan (the guy doing the Revisited SW DVD edits) is looking for actual photos of the Hoth Shield Generator and Bespin buldings. I looked through my books and all I could find was the small shot of the generator in Chronicles. Are there any other good pictures out there?

Thanks.

I thought all the bespin buildings where matte paintings in the original
and then CG in the Special Editions

The Art of Empire shows most of the matte paintings

T

Just leafed through Art of ESB, and I think other then the shot of
Lando, Lobot and the guards greating Han, I don't think there was an exterior that was real

they show the landing platform with the falcon on it, the outside shot from their apartment on Bespin, the entirety of Cloud city, Slave 1 on the Platform, and the Sunset, all as matte paintings

if nothing else, it would serve as great reference

Those were all matte painting in the original fiolm w/partial sets.The re-release was doctored up some with digital mattes,but not miniatures (aside from some prototypes or maquets made early in pre-production)to my recollection.I guess your best bet would be view the DVD (or maybe a CD ROM) and get pictures that way?

What about the shield gen.? Was it a model? The shot in Chronicles sure doesn't look like the one seen on screen. Was the screen gen. just matte paintings?

What about the shield gen.? Was it a model? The shot in Chronicles sure doesn't look like the one seen on screen. Was the screen gen. just matte paintings?

in art of ESB there are only concept drawings,
no photos of the final model or matte painting

it was seen so briefly, and really only as a super far away object when it exploded, and through the targeting reticle, I doubt much time was spent on construction

as for Bespin (and one of the cool things about Art of ESB) is that they show full views of the matte paintings with the knocked out area where the live action was composited

so I think it's a worthy reference for what your looking for

This probably doesn't help you much, but the best I could find was a screencap from Wookiepedia:

Imageless1.jpg

I've no idea if the generator was a miniature or not?I've not seen any pictures of a model,but maybe the model makers might have banged one out super fast for its 3-5 seconds of screen time?

I'll have to see if there are any pics in my 'From Star Wars to Indiana Jones' prop archives book tonight!

I took a look..just matte paintings of bespin and didnt see a pic of a model for the shield generator.

Looking forward to another Adywan revisitted!! I loved the 3d scene of Jabba from ANH! Some cool 3d scenes from ANH would be the Falcon being pursued by the Star destroyers, or Luke and Vader's saber battle. Ah..do the whole thing in 3d!!!! ;)

The Hoth generators were models. There is one pic of them in 'Sculpting a Galaxy'.

Are you referring to the picture towards the end of the book? The small thumbnail? If so, that's the same picture as in Chronicles and I don't think that's the model we see on screen. Each disc looks way to fat. I find it funny that they put that picture in the thumbnail index, when it doesn't even show up in the book anywhere.

On a side note, they do mention that some buildings from Bespin were made as models. There's one tiny shot, but that's it.

Thats all I recall were ever produced...just maquetts/prototypes.I guess they did it for "reference" and/or lighting?I still don't recall any physical "filmin models" ever produced for Bespin City or the Hoth Generators?

The generators were built, for sure, so im led to believe, they were vac'd over a multitude of found items.....TBH it was on my radar to build too, as my plan is to cover as much of the Hoth "seldom seen" props as possible, seems nobody has ref, or, just doesnt want to play:lol....but, maybe the fellas that have ref, will build them someday.....yeah....right :lol!

lee

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back