World of Warcraft Hearthstone

M Bison

Ok, so I have been playing World of Warcraft since day one with the same guild that we all created 3 days after the game launched.

I'm wanting to make a replica of the Hearthstone from the game for myself and a few of the members of the guild.

Here is what a Hearthstone looks like:

hearthstonefk9.jpg

Basically I want to get some roughly 4" white, oval smooth river stones and carve the swirl into them using a dremel. I would then like to find some sort of pourable blue gel that will harden to approximately that color.

A few things I need guidance on:

Where to get said stones? I have been searching around the net and haven't had much luck as of yet.

What type of bit should I get for the dremel to carve into stone?

Where can I get some blue paint or such that will work for inside the swirl?

Thanks,
Steve

Neat idea. I don't have firm answers but a few suggestions.

For the white stones I would look at some local home and garden centers for landscaping stones or walkway stone.

I don't know about cutting stone with a dremel, if they make any diamond bits that might be a good bet. That is going to take some time, my best suggestion is to be patient and go slow while you work on the goove.

For paint, and to give it a little bit of a different, sparkley kind of look you might consider adding a very small amount of metallic or a glitter to the blue that you use then sealing or covering the paint with a transparent epoxy kind of like the way model railroad'ers create water for scenery, it won't just look like flat paint.

Good luck, sounds like a fun project.

Something else I was just considering was maybe getting some white clay that can be oven-cured might be a better way to go. I will be able to be far more precise with my carving tools.

I see all kinds of stones like that in the creek in the woods behind my place. I could send you some if you wanted. :lol

I'd say that sculpting it out of clay and firing it would probably be your best bet. You know to go a step further you could always coat a stone in clay and then fire it after you've done all the fine tuning, just so it would feel like a rock. Just an idea.:)

I like the idea of the symbol being GITD. You could find an object that glows and create the rock around that using polymer clay.

You could even make a stencil, cut that into a flat section of clay, then lay that flat piece onto the GITD object and cover the rest of it in the same clay, and join it all up.

I once made a statue from the 13th Warrior (do you remember seeing it at Matt's prop party?) and to texture it to look like stone, I took a hunk of real stone and rolled it over the surface. When I sent it to be molded/cast, the guy asked me what type of rock I scullpted it to look like, he said it looked like volcanic rock.:cool

I do remember the statue. It certainly stood out.

The only problem I can see with going the clay route is that oven-bake clay can get very expensive and I don't have access to a kiln.

What about... I think it's called Hydrostone? Basically a resin that looks like stone? You could sculpt a master exactly like what you want and then cast them.

This, of course, coming from the guy who can't sculpt a ball. :p

What about... I think it's called Hydrostone? Basically a resin that looks like stone? You could sculpt a master exactly like what you want and then cast them.

This, of course, coming from the guy who can't sculpt a ball. :p

Well, I have 0 experience with casting anything as well. I think the clay around a rock idea may work best as I wouldn't have to use much clay then and I don't think a rock in the center of the clay I am baking would hurt anything.

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back