can you use silicone caulk as a mold?

awesome tutorial...

i wish i'd had it at the start of this project.

right now, dear sweet zombie *****, the house smells horrible.

i put the silicone in the oven (outside), but unfortunatly near the window units vents (was NOT thinking).

the "mold block" i used to space off the silicone was some cheap ass putty play doh kinda stuff.

it apparently has a baking temp that is very very low. once i demolded it was all i could do not to puke :eek:

one set of molds came out ok, if not kinda well (not really detail oriented with this stuff, but the rough stuff is there). the other (with the burnt playdoh) just ended up in the garbage.

i will pick up some more silicone this weekend and try a new set of molds with the glycerin and acrylic paint. also, some rubber or vinyl gloves as well :)

man, i gotta get an air freshener or something, god this stench is horrible :eek: :eek: :eek:
chris

This is awesome, Thank you for the information. I just started making molds for resin art. and my first mold of a skull sucked big fat harambee balls. but now i feel a little more confident that my next will be perfect, or close to it. Thank you.

Cauking silicone is air curing. In other words, it needs the moister in the air to cure, not heat. If you want to fast cure cauking silicone, you mix a rapidly evaporating liquid like acetone. You only need to mix at about 10 parts silicone to 1 of the acetone. It tends to break down the adhesive properties of the caulking silicone making less sticky. You will still need a release agent, but it will peel up off an item easier than it were applied with no additive.

As the acetone evaporates, it gets cold and creates condensation which rapidly cures the silicone.

Out of the tube, a 1" tube might take about 4 weeks to cure. The 10:1 mix will fully cure in the same 1" tube in about 2 hours.

In truth, this route is OK when you need a quick fix, but based on cost of product, Vs results, and I would rather spend the extra on a proper molding silicone and know that I can re-use that mold over and over.

You will also need to be in a well ventilated area to prevent the build up of that vinegar smell during cure. You don't get that with real molding silicones.

In truth, this route is OK when you need a quick fix, but based on cost of product, Vs results, and I would rather spend the extra on a proper molding silicone and know that I can re-use that mold over and over.

:thumbsup This, so many times over.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back