Making rubber spikes

BlindSquirrel

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I need to make 16 black rubber spikes. Each spike is 1-1/2" long x 3/8" dia.

I made one master that I can mold but I'm balking at buying a $50 RTV kit for these few items.

I have yet to try the Gasket rubber that comes in a tube or carving rubber by hand.

Anyone have a solution for me?

a picture of it would help.
If its a basic spike that you could cut out of rubber mat or similar material then go for it. Rubber is very expensive and prices just went up pretty much all over due to fuel and oil price gouging.

The spike is a simple cone...no fancy details.

I just didn't want to carve 16 individual piece of rubber if I can help it.

if youve got more time than money, make each one by hand. No real way around it if your not going for anything off the shelf or a plastic Halloween costume peice.

Just wondering... How about that sealing rubber you put into engine parts that comes into a "thootpaste-like" container (sorry, I don't know how is called in English, in Itlay it could be translated with: automotive sealing paste...)
When it cures is a pretty solid and flexible rubber...

If you've got a mold, why not use something like expanding foam, tinted caulking, liquid nails, lathed plastic, lathed wood, or something else that you have around.

Thanks for all the suggestions, everybody!

I picked up some of the gasket silicon to try in the mold (thanks, Ramiel!)...hopefully it'll work. If not, I'll get the collar that Patsmear suggested and cannibalize it.

I'd sure like to do this the right way with some nice Smoothon but since this is a one-off, there just isn't any way to justify the expense.

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back