Iron Man props (helmet - reactor - armor)

Pannaus Props

Sr Member
Hi guys, i've been a member of this board since last summer, but I really wrote few posts, mostly, because I had very few things to show. I've been working a lot together with my fellow italian SnowFlake, and put together a really nice Spartan Costume. I'm also still working on a Forex Clone Trooper armor that maybe, one day, will see the light.

But today, i'm writing to show you my latest work. I just happened to fall desperately in love with the Iron Man movie Mark III armor since last september, and even though I promised myself to first close off the Clone armor project, I just couldn't help myself. I had to do the IRON MAN HELMET!!! eh eh eh eh.

So there it is (it's a really short youtube movie, about 35 secs...sorry for my mutism, but I'm kinda shy...not :p)

Iron Man Helmet on YouTube

still needs a lot of work, but the base is 95% done.
It's all made of forex (european word for sintra), and it's been a real pain in the a**.

The faceplate was made 5 times, the part the covers the cheek, was too short, so I had to redo it, then cut the old one and glue back in the new one...

THe really good thing is that it fits a 7 3/8 - 7 1/2 head really good and it's really a small helmet. IF you put it on with no armor on and only a shirt, just looks like a regular human head ;)

and here you have some pics of the early stages:

cartone1.jpg

cartone2.jpg

frontale2.jpg

frontale3.jpg

laterale1.jpg

laterale2.jpg

suforex.jpg

front-lateral1.jpg

sorry for the huge pictures...

Last edited:
Re: The Magic of Forex (sintra): Iron Man Helmet

looks great. thats how im makig my latest version.

are you moving on to body filler next?

looks great. thats how im makig my latest version.

are you moving on to body filler next?

Yep. I'll probably fiberglass the entire thing from the inside in order to give it a tougher structure. I'm still thinking on how proceed to make a perfect match between the face plate and the rest of the helmet. I don't want to do the whole piece as a unique object.

Usually what I do, is create the structure with the forex, then sand it in order to smooth as much as possible the different angles and bumps. Then I get to the fiber glassing process. But I try to use it as much as possible from the inside, in order not to have the fiber altering the height of the forex. Once I covered all the holes and I linked together all the pieces that were held together only through a piece of cardboard, I get to the bondo or body filling process.

It worked like this for this helmet:

http://www.jkfc.eu/mm/300/leo1.jpg

and for the clone armor parts:

chest_back.jpg

wip_polpaccio4.jpg

gamba_intera.jpg

Last edited:

Great work, but can you PLEASE resize your pictures, like 800 x 600 @ 72ppi?

Great work, but can you PLEASE resize your pictures, like 800 x 600 @ 72ppi?

Sorry to be mr resolution nerd, but do whatever dpi you'd like, even 10000000dpi, as long as you keep the image resolution at 800x600 :)

do you have any templates for the helmet? I have a huge sheet of sintra and this looks quite fun!

Well, actually not.
I have some parts drawn on the cardboard, but nothing stored on the computer. Most of the parts are modified in the process and after I warm the sintra up to shape it, I then modify it. That makes the template on the cardboard almost useless.

That's the bad thing about using sintra or forex. The paper templates don't resemble perfectly the final piece, most of the times. :(

Please start using the chesthair filter too. lol

Re: Iron Man Helmet made of Sintra (forex) (800x600 pics inside)

Ahh so many ways to get to the same ressult :) Bravo :)

Not any relevant as far as now.
I started to put fiberglass on the inside and on other spots.
I also put some filler on the sides, right next to the face plate and I beveled the round parts that cover the ears.

This is going to be way harder than I thought. :(

Ok, here we go: few other pics:

22072008107.jpg

22072008108.jpg

22072008109.jpg

22072008110.jpg

22072008111.jpg

22072008112.jpg

22072008113.jpg

As you can see from the first pics, I added the bump of the nose (still needs sanding).
Also, not pictures, I filled the back top part with bondo and tomorrow I'll sand faceplate and that one too.
I also put some fiberglass inside the faceplate so that tomorrow I'll be able to body-fill the outside of the plate.
All along, it's coming out pretty good. I'm pretty satisfied :D

Last edited:

I am VERY impressed by your work! I like using sintra it's very handy top have around, Ive made simple chest and back armor from it but I've never seen anything so detailed! Great job so far! keep up the good work! :)

im really pleased to see more progress on this. its looking great

I hope I will be able to see it in person sooner or later...;)

very very nice, pretty amazing to see it from the beginning to the latest pic u posted, impressive.

Griff

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back