E-11 question.. Mag well Cylinders FOUND?

Wait...the source for these has been identified -judging by your pic- ?! :eek

So who has access to a junkyard or an old electronis warehouse or something ;) ?

Markus

Ah yes. Definetly tubes.

Well, it's obviously electronic if it used tubes. Not industrial "machinery".

Military Radar? Radios?

Last edited:
Military Radar? Radios?
Anyone that has taken apart old radios or TVs knows that the circuit boards are really hodge-podged, compared to these, and contained several sizes and types of tubes on the same board. These seem to be the exact same size, and presumably the same type, due to the physical layout.

My thoughts are like this - they didn't venture too far from what they used - WW2 military gear/weapons, helicopter engine parts, camera parts, etc. I doubt this would be something out in left field - radio parts, for example, because we haven't seen any radio parts greeblies on anything else yet.

Like someone else suggested by the picture, I think it'll be something large and mounted, or rack mounted, as the circuit boards are all about the same, and in the same physical layout.

They could be from audio equipment. Amplifier maybe?
There are fender knobs on the bowcaster and several instances of turntable parts (imperial disc pulleys, 3po eyes machined from turntable weights, a whole bunch of Fett turntables discoveries recently).

They probably tore apart something big to get all those racks though. Maybe a piece of industrial machinery that also had a lot of mechanical counters on it too?

They could be from audio equipment. Amplifier maybe?
Highly doubt it. Since the tube sockets are all the same, they would have to be all preamps. Power amp tubes would be much larger sockets, plus would likely not be far from the large transformers. And just as an example, take a look at Fender and Marshall 100 watt tube amps. They only have 3 preamp tubes (plus two or four power tubes, plus the giant transformers, plus maybe one or two other tubes for reverb tanks and effects loops). It wasn't until the 80s when hotrhodded preamps started coming out, and even then, there are very few that have six preamp tubes (they're way more recent than ANH).

Curious if the original machinery that these racks came from has ever been identified? This last post is almost 5 years old. Any updates?

Just to show the diversity of vacuum tubes/plugs...this came off a 1960s classroom clock. I think it's the buzzer/bell section, as there was a large complicated set of gears beneath this. The plug is no larder than 5/8 if an inch wide

the way they are spaced, and in a group of 6, my guess is time display from some piece of equipment HH:MM:SS

I've was thinking about the time idea too. I looked at a bunch of Nixie tube clocks, but haven't found anything promising yet. The Nixie tubes I've seen so far have more than 7 pins.

Highly doubt it. Since the tube sockets are all the same, they would have to be all preamps. Power amp tubes would be much larger sockets, plus would likely not be far from the large transformers. And just as an example, take a look at Fender and Marshall 100 watt tube amps. They only have 3 preamp tubes (plus two or four power tubes, plus the giant transformers, plus maybe one or two other tubes for reverb tanks and effects loops). It wasn't until the 80s when hotrhodded preamps started coming out, and even then, there are very few that have six preamp tubes (they're way more recent than ANH).

Braggin mode on: My amp has 8 preamp tubes, plus one for phase inverter, plus 4 6L6 power tubes :D
Braggin mode off

I love tubes (but I suck at electronics)

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

Curious if the original machinery that these racks came from has ever been identified? This last post is almost 5 years old. Any updates?

I've done some heavy searching & researching in the last 2 years but still haven't found an original rack or parts.

I compiled a pdf of my findings: https://www.dropbox.com/s/s53lnuh9rq5xe7a/E11%20Power%20Cylinders%20Analysis.pdf

& here's the ongoing research thread: 3 central "fuses" on E11 Blaster Cylinders? - ANH BlasTech E11 - First Imperial Stormtrooper Detachment

Eventually someone will come along who knows what it is! :)

Cheers, Andy

I've often wondered if it could be from some circuitry on the same jet that the rr derwent engines were in...

I wish we could get one of the original hippy prop guys to stumble apon this site...

Not a high profiler like Brian Muir... More a guy that was 17 and sent to scavenge for cool looking parts...

Someone out there knows what these are.

Soo intriguing even after all the years and finds!

I guess it would lose it's magic if such a guy came along and answered these last few prop secrets?

Thanks guys, glad you enjoyed it :)

Someone out there knows what these are.

Soo intriguing even after all the years and finds!

I guess it would lose it's magic if such a guy came along and answered these last few prop secrets?

Totally! I'd love to know what they were but, at the same time, I love the mystery :)

A lot of research has been done by various people on what the originals were. I didn't include it in the pdf because there is no conclusion yet and they may turn out to be something no-one's even considered yet. (For example, I hadn't considered OldKen's idea about something from the derwent engine jet). If anyone ever wants to have another "serious" go at further research it may be possible to collate what's already been done so they don't go over old ground that led to dead ends.

Cheers, Andy

Thanks for the PDF it is a really good read.

It is not luck that your cylinders are the best I have seen.

Like others I have tried to find what they may have been from.

I have asked people from the vintage audio amp world (real technicians from back in the day) and vintage radio, no one has seen these racks.
As others have suggested I think that it will be military in origin.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back