Nine Gates of the Kingdom of Shadows book

pauljones33

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I've been wanting one of these books in my collection for some time now and really didnt feel competent enough to undertake making one myself from the tutorial thats on the net. But I have found a site that has done that for you, check this out :love:
http://www.lulu.com/content/1290718
Looks good enough to me and as I missed out on the great looking run done by Mike Haspil a while back I thought I'd have a punt and purchase one, lets face it £25 isnt bad, if anybodies interested I'll post more when I get it.

Keep in mind, this is a "poor man's copy" of the book. All of the pages are numbered "666" and the cover is not leather, for example. Plus, the size is a little off. If you're okay with that, then it looks like a nice, easy prop to own. Relatively inexpensive, too.

OK here we go, received the book and was pleasantly surprised by the quality, for £20+ it is very well printed, all the pages are well alligned and bound in the cover exactly like a decent hardback book. The downside is the way the cover is made, it appears to be a (poor) scan of the original printed out and covered with plastic. This makes it look a little cheap and very reflective. Hope this helps any of you who may be thinking of buying one.

Last edited:
I had thought of that Taz, am in 2 minds about it. I wonder if its worth throwing more money at this one to get it bound in leather, coz then I'm gonna want the gold foil pentagram printed on it, and then weathering on the pages etc.... whereas I could just wait and hope one of the good ones becomes available for sale......I may get a quote though mate

Thanks for the review. That's too bad about the cover. For the price I don't think anyone expects perfection, but even if it wasn't so shiny it would be better. Might be a good project to (attempt to) learn to bind books.

Yikes, bookbinding! I could use both thumbs and going on my past painting experience you'd see plenty of my prints all over the place....
Just as an aside, I did find a bookbinder who looks like he's making a very nice stylised copy of the book:
http://nonus-porta.blogspot.com/
I have emailed him but haven't heard back on prices or anything yet.

I received a response to my price inquiry. Read into it what you will:

Hi Eric.

The Nonus Porta like The Angel Grimoires are not commercially available, they are designed and empowered around the chosen individual, The Nonus Porta can also be made into a blank magickal journal. If you wish to make this years list I will need to know on what esoteric level do you practice.

Amor et Lux

Paul

I guess you have to practice magic to get one.

I was thinking, could the cover be lightly sanded to remove the sheen? Or even sprayed with a dullcoat?

I dont think sanding would work as it is scanned iamge on paper over card and covered in a sort of thin laminate, almost like sticky back plastic or fingerprint lift film....Its a good idea about the dullcoat, I'll look into that one thanx....

I was thinking, could the cover be lightly sanded to remove the sheen? Or even sprayed with a dullcoat?

I received a response to my price inquiry. Read into it what you will:

Hi Eric.

The Nonus Porta like The Angel Grimoires are not commercially available, they are designed and empowered around the chosen individual, The Nonus Porta can also be made into a blank magickal journal. If you wish to make this years list I will need to know on what esoteric level do you practice.

Amor et Lux

Paul

I guess you have to practice magic to get one.

Tell him you are a 12th level chaotic neutral mage with 18 intelligence and unlimited charisma and see if that gets you anywhere with him! :lol

Bruce

Hi Guy's....I've only just found this site that questions my version of the Ninth Gate so I guess this is 3 years into the future ;)
The reason why I asked about esoteric levels is because back then I was asked if I could use nine esoteric texts and as there are so many it was necessary to make an enquiry to match the right texts to the right level of esoteric knowledge. You can see how the book is made at this link, there is also a video.
http://periodfinebindings.typepad.com/the_ninth_gate/

Best wishes

Paul

Thats some interesting reading on the website Paul and a truly beautiful version of the book. How much does a commissioned version of the book cost?

Hi Guy's....I've only just found this site that questions my version of the Ninth Gate so I guess this is 3 years into the future ;)
The reason why I asked about esoteric levels is because back then I was asked if I could use nine esoteric texts and as there are so many it was necessary to make an enquiry to match the right texts to the right level of esoteric knowledge. You can see how the book is made at this link, there is also a video.
The Ninth Gate

Best wishes

Paul

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back