Weathering plastic

nice-biscuit

I am in the process of weathering my pauldron for my Sandtrooper armour. What is the best way to weather / wear a coated plastic. For example to fade the colour, break down the structure. I will be using sandpaper and other things like that but I wondered if there was a specific technique. Paint stripper has worked well too. Once I have the desired look I will muddy it up using Fuller Earth Etc. Here how it looks at the moment with no weathering.
DSC_0015-2.jpg

Take a very fine sandpaper and rubb it a bit. Then add red alcohold ( we call it Redsprite) It will matt it a bit. wipe it of.

Now take some acrylic spray paint found in a model shop. buy the prefferd colours. I advice use a bit darker paint than you plan to have i tell you why.

Apply the paint in aras and wife or padd of right after with a spunge.

Now once the paint is on then take a new spunge and soke it it red alcohol. one it gets on the paint it will take away some of the colour of the paint and it will give it a vvery nice and natural weathering.

For abs plastic soke a spunge in red alcohol and wipe it on the suit. Then sand down the suit with the finest sand paper you find while the red alcohol is on the paper. it will remove the gloss. Now the sand paper have made som small groves or a surface that is not so smoth as before. Now add the colour of choice and soke it in the suit. Start with darkst colour.
For areas you want the colour to stick use higher sandpaper grade so its rouger it will leave more paint in this area. Then wipe of with red sprite it will remove the most but leave the paint in a vey fin underlaying tone. Then take areas for the rest of the weathering.

Great Stuff!! Thank you for all the good advice , I fancy doing all of the above. Ill see TMP if I can get hold of some Redsprite here in the UK. I'll post some pics when I'm done trashing, rubbing and colouring.

DSC_0206.jpg

Just a quick post to show what I have done so far.
I couldn't get hold of any Redsprite so I thought I would try paint stripper. Worked quite well at removing the gloss and taking colour away from the orange to give a slight sun faded look. Kicked around the garden and drive. Took a rasp then a file to the edges. Sanded and then painted using oil paint and fullers earth. A bit of a work in progress

Yes that is correct and that is why the colours fade in strengt. making the effcts very cool. Dark brown gets pale brown.

That looks like an SB pauldron. Anyway here are shots of some i have done. If you want i can explain how it was done.

DSC09111.jpg

DSC09115.jpg

I tried a diffrent weathering approach for the orange pauldron
DSC09120.jpg

DSC09121.jpg

DSC09123.jpg

DSC09129.jpg

DSC09130.jpg

DSC09128.jpg

As you know Gundam I love your work. Any weathering tips would be as welcome as a SB pauldron.
By the way off topic, put me down for some cast resin red and green buttons for a Vader box. Being Junkyard I can't reply on that thread at the moment.

As you know Gundam I love your work. Any weathering tips would be as welcome as a SB pauldron.
By the way off topic, put me down for some cast resin red and green buttons for a Vader box. Being Junkyard I can't reply on that thread at the moment.

Alrighty I'll explain in the e-mail i owe you.

Hope to see some pics of you're TE2 when you you weather it.

Could you send me the tutorial too please?

Last edited:
This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back