Makeup experts - Manic Street Preachers 'mask' makeup

Dave Ward

Sr Member
Hope this isn't too o/t, but no-one on the Manics board was able to give me any advice on safely creating this look. I need to do this for a show and want something that won't run too badly and most importantly is perfectly safe around the eyes. Thank you for any advice!

001x9gke

35ar9t3.jpg

Looks like masking tape adhered to the skin to make the nice, clean line on top, and probably just a form held to the face (shaped cardboard or somesuch) to the bottom part to create the overspray. Or just tape off both sides and let the sweat create the smudge effect as you perform.

Most likely some kind of hair color spray or flat out spraypaint.

Don't know what to tell you as far as toxicity.. something tells me this guy wasn't too concerned about that, either. ;)

I prefer the look of white greasepaint stripes under the eyes, a la Adam and the Ants. :)

You'll want to heavily line your eyes in high quality liquid eye liner. As for the rest, you can buy an anti-sweating solution at most theatrical make-up supply places and then apply just about any kind of makeup over it. Personally though, I would recommend Ben Nye's MagiCake Aqua line of makeups. They breath, dry flat and smooth and un greasy, and should you perspire heavily, it still tends to more or less stay put.

If you're still worried about stuff getting into your eyes, you can lightly dab a little petroleum jelly (over the make up) around them to make liquids bead and roll away.

You can also get airbrush based makeup if you have an airbrush, and apply with that. It appears to be what was used in the photos you supplied.

Yeah, it looks airbrushed to me. I've only had one experience with airbrushed make-up around my eyes and will never do it again. I wear contacts and the make-up flaked off and got caught under them. The pain was horrible and I was blind with tears. It was like being stuck in a room full of tear gas (minus the runny nose and gagging) for an hour until I could get home and get them out.

So the moral of the story is, if you wear contacts, I wouldn't use an airbrush.

It does look airbrushed, but if you want you can use Stargazer spray hair colour. It doesen't have any laquer and is skin safe. You can get it in most costume stores.

It does look airbrushed, but if you want you can use Stargazer spray hair colour. It doesen't have any laquer and is skin safe. You can get it in most costume stores.

its cream eyeliner you apply it with a brush i had to call one of me old rocker friends from back in the day (which she is a makeup artist now) and she said thats all it is is creame eyeliner and to apply with a brush

its cream eyeliner you apply it with a brush i had to call one of me old rocker friends from back in the day (which she is a makeup artist now) and she said thats all it is is creame eyeliner and to apply with a brush

Sorry it's taken me a while to reply, but thank you so much for the advice - I knew the talented folks at the rpf would come up with a solution!(y)thumbsup:thumbsup

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back