Considering Continuing Education, Please Help!

anthonypelino

My brother and I, like everyone else on the rpf, really enjoy both the hobby and the industry. However, we both would like to take it a step further, and make prop, replica, and toy making a career. Now I know, over time we could develop some of the wonderful talents that we've seen here, on our own. What we wondering, though, is if anyone here has heard of, or has any experience with schools and degrees focused on model and prop making in the united states. We're able to relocate within the u.s. We've noticed that there are several schools over seas that focus almost exclusively on the subject, but haven't really been able to find that same sort of focus/degree here. Any ideas? We'd really appreciate the help.

Thanks in advance.

**just noticed I spelled education wrong in the title. looks like I need to continue for more than prop making, huh?**

Last edited:
Re: Considering Continuing Eduction, Please Help!

One word "apprenticeship".

Save the time, save the money, get under someones wing.
Best advice I can give you.

I would certainly love to do that. But I imagine that would be a hard thing find, and even harder to actually obtain. Have you, or do you know anyone who has actually managed an apprenticeship? That's why I was considering a college. I know it costs more, but you pretty much just have to waive your money and they let you in. Now if anyone out there knows of an apprenticeship or two we could slide into, we work hard, and we for only the occasional scooby-snack or two.

Thanks for the fast reply.

Hi Anthony my names Daniel and I have been a modelmaker in the UK since 1993.
I have seen many people come and go in the field and all of them had one thing- a good folio.
I did a modelmaking course in the UK- a 2 year one, but I think having a thought process to enable you to see a project from beginning to end and planning out your materials and methods carefully are a great skill to teach yourself.
Failing that enrol on short workshop based courses at your local Poly/Uni etc.:

(I have heard dental technicians are a good way to learn silicones, casting and acrylics)
A cabinet makers workshop could help you with basic wood working skills etc.
A metal shop can help with welding.......
A ceramics workshop can help with sculpting, clay types etc.
A fine art workshop could help with more generic projects, and I am a great fan of doing a life drawing class as it will greatly help with visual accuracy.

One of the best sculptors I know was entirely self taught and now works proffesionally in the industry.

Stick with it, do lots of self initiated projects, and keep up your standards.
Remember- a qualification wont get you a job- your folio will...............;-)

Good luck!

In the United States, Industrial Design/product design is what you are looking for. The good design schools are never cheap, and you need a competitive portfolio to get in.

Mold-making companies tend to give good seminars on their products. Smooth-on.com should have a list of their local distributors with seminar dates.

A lot of major conventions also tend to give seminars.

Save for plane tickets.

I would certainly love to do that. But I imagine that would be a hard thing find, and even harder to actually obtain. Have you, or do you know anyone who has actually managed an apprenticeship? That's why I was considering a college. I know it costs more, but you pretty much just have to waive your money and they let you in. Now if anyone out there knows of an apprenticeship or two we could slide into, we work hard, and we for only the occasional scooby-snack or two.

Thanks for the fast reply.

Apprenticeship/Internships : quick and possibly easy way to get to know people in the trade, which often leads to jobs and sooner or later to money making.
The theoretical side of a job can become a bit undernourished, i.e. if you are going to work in the art department you don´t get to hear lessons on movie history, script writing, drawing and painting, art design and architecture history, accounting. You can of course learn all those things while doing the job, but then it takes much longer and you often have to learn the hard way through your own faults.

I say go for the money, especially dependinng on how old you are and what your spouse thinks of your plans. And believe me, the business is not as shiny and fun as it sounds when you hear the pros talk about it, and there´s only a handful of real ones of those, I bet. It can take a looong time to get an interesting and fun job.

Be careful what you wish for, I say, but if you have the stamina to pursue your dream, then go for it.

Michael

Thanks for the tips everyone. Though, I'm kind of getting the picture, that until you learn the craft, to create a portfolio of work, you'll have a hard time getting into a good school (where you can learn the craft to create that portfolio!) I'm sensing a whole Bill and Ted moment here.

Daniel, thanks for the advice. I have experience working with a lot of the materials and tools involved in the process. It's the artistic techniques where i probably need the most education. I've been practicing on my own, but nothing compares to the instruction of an experienced mentor. Though, I like the idea of working in a semi-related field to get the experience (and paid to boot). Thanks!

GuntahKela, Industrial Design, looks like the way to go here in the states. You're right though, I haven't found any schools that don't charge a ton of money. Conventions and seminars, I'll absolutely look into those. Probably have to do a bit of traveling for sure, but it opens up other options and avenues of research, and I really appreciate that. Thank you.

Robstyle and Michael, We'd love the opportunity, no matter how hard the work. It's the knowledge and experience we crave. An apprenticeship would be wonderful, but I think you'd have to have a leg in already, or a fantastic portfolio. Guess we'd better get to work!

Thanks everyone,
Anthony

Last edited:

GuntahKela, Industrial Design, looks like the way to go here in the states. You're right though, I haven't found any schools that don't charge a ton of money.

I went to one of the expensive ones. There are low cost options though.

I suggest looking at: University of Cincinnati
Cal State Long Beach
San Jose State

Thanks for the tips everyone. Though, I'm kind of getting the picture, that until you learn the craft, to create a portfolio of work, you'll have a hard time getting into a good school (where you can learn the craft to create that portfolio!) I'm sensing a whole Bill and Ted moment here.

Daniel, thanks for the advice. I have experience working with a lot of the materials and tools involved in the process. It's the artistic techniques where i probably need the most education. I've been practicing on my own, but nothing compares to the instruction of an experienced mentor. Though, I like the idea of working in a semi-related field to get the experience (and paid to boot). Thanks!

GuntahKela, Industrial Design, looks like the way to go here in the states. You're right though, I haven't found any schools that don't charge a ton of money. Conventions and seminars, I'll absolutely look into those. Probably have to do a bit of traveling for sure, but it opens up other options and avenues of research, and I really appreciate that. Thank you.

Robstyle and Michael, We'd love the opportunity, no matter how hard the work. It's the knowledge and experience we crave. An apprenticeship would be wonderful, but I think you'd have to have a leg in already, or a fantastic portfolio. Guess we'd better get to work!

Thanks everyone,
Anthony

I recently got my MFA in Costume Design from Virginia Commonwealth University (www.vcu.edu) and I know they have an extensive crafts program that covers everything from metal smithing, to woodworking, to clay sculpture, to jewelry. Might be something to look in to. http://www.vcu.edu/arts/craft/dept/

We're in the top 5 (used to be #1, not sure what we are now) Art Schools in the country. Tuition isn't terrible either.

I went to one of the expensive ones. There are low cost options though.

I suggest looking at: University of Cincinnati
Cal State Long Beach
San Jose State

I'm transferring to SJSU in the Fall (Aerospace Engineering) and while on the grand tour of the Engr. dept, the Industrial and Systems Engineering dept. guys were really enthusiastic, and had a lot of cool stuff to show. :thumbsup

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back