Question about Indy hat from this website

Well, it's Todd!
You can trust Todd (insert zombie voice here:D)

Seriously, he's one of the "good guys" as far as I know;)
I think you have better options for a nice Indy hat at the moment, but if you are looking for a HJ you could ask Todd:)

Todd is VERY reliable. Even the stuff he makes is good quality, especially the deluxe items!

Brad

I've done a lot of business with Todd, and like everyone else has said, he's a great vendor, makes and sells only top quality stuff, and is super easy to deal with. I don't think you could go wrong buying anything from him.

:)

Buy a HJ from Indy Magnoli.
Reblocked by the maker of the Indy IV hats Steve Delk.
I have a lot of todds stuff and it is top notch...but you can do much better for the lid.
Ron

I bought a deluxe strap for my Mark VII bag and was very pleased with the quality and service. I would definetly buy from him again.

I'm led to believe that this is very accurate..
https://www.hatsdirect.com/hat-info/federation.html

and being an Akubra, is BOUND to be great quality

Here is a pic of my Federation ver. III The version 4 is even more accurate.
More so than a modern HJ.

IMG_0451.jpg

Thank for all your replies, and I have to say they make me even harder to make a choice.:lol
So which one is closer and more accurate to a screen used fedora in Indy film? Herbert Johnson or Akubra?
I thought Herbert Johnson was the actual manufacturer for the original Indy trilogy. Is it right?
Is there any other choice for a screen accurate Indy hat?
I know Adventurebilt is the one who make the hat for KOCS, but due to the long waiting time, I may just pass it right now.
Thanks for all your help.

All the Raiders hats were HJ poets.

But today's poet is a very different hat. Different felt, different block.

Magnoli and AB have taken today's HJ and rebuilt / reblocked it using Steve's Raiders block - producing an great looking hat, with the correct block, from the original maker.

However - Akubra have also revamped the (already great) Federation and come up with the Fed IV - different block, very nice looking, hardwearing Indy hat and at the price, hard to beat.

There's also a few others to consider - The great looking new Camptown model from jerseyjones (Camptown is now using AB's Raiders block), the Christy's Adventurer sold by hornetshats.com, Jimmy Pierce, Lee Keppler....there are loads of options for great looking Indy lids these days!

AB are also planning a factory-made hat - final details and pricing still pending, IIRC.

The only reason (and not a good one) to buy a HJ is for the name association to the original trilogy. IT aint what it used to be.
Christy's of london is presumed to be the same hat at a lower price.
If you must have HJ, Indy mag is the only option imho.
The best hat without an extended wait is the Akubra fed 4.
Good luck in your quest. Before you know it you will have a collection like the rest of us gearheads.
Ron

All the Raiders hats were HJ poets.

But today's poet is a very different hat. Different felt, different block.

Magnoli and AB have taken today's HJ and rebuilt / reblocked it using Steve's Raiders block - producing an great looking hat, with the correct block, from the original maker.

However - Akubra have also revamped the (already great) Federation and come up with the Fed IV - different block, very nice looking, hardwearing Indy hat and at the price, hard to beat.

There's also a few others to consider - The great looking new Camptown model from jerseyjones (Camptown is now using AB's Raiders block), the Christy's Adventurer sold by hornetshats.com, Jimmy Pierce, Lee Keppler....there are loads of options for great looking Indy lids these days!

AB are also planning a factory-made hat - final details and pricing still pending, IIRC.

I think a lot depends on if you're really sold on having a hat made by "the same hat maker as the original trilogy" or not. Because that IS very important to some people and I totally understand it.

However, if you're open to buy the "best" hat depending on looks, price, options, availability, or whatever it really opens up your options considerably.

However, because there are SO many options it's really hard to tell anyone what THE BEST hat will be, all they can tell you is what was best to them, and why.

I just wanted to thank everyone for the information they are posting in these threads. I want to pick up an Indy hat quite badly, but price is a prohibiting factor for me at this time. So the information people are sharing about other sources is very much appreciated!

Thanks,

Tom

Same here. I was this close to buying one of the HJs from Todd.

I wasn't going to ask because, well, it's HJ.

But now I know and knowing is half the battle.

I'll be re-evaluating just which fedora to buy.

Thanks again!

I own a Federation 4 and I couldn't be happier. It fits great, looks screen accurate and holds the bash VERY well! And for $100-$150 you can't go wrong!!

Brad

Wow, thanks for all the opinions your guys share, they are really valuable.
Just like what amish and bobamatt have said, now I have to re-evaluat everything and find the very hat that suits me.
Thanks again!

Here is a pic of my Fed 4 with some Ben Nye "Ash Powder" applied. I tried to get it as close ot this pic as possible without going over board...

indymarioncairo.jpg

IMG_4352.jpg

Brad

Their are just so many excellent options available but for pricing and quality Fed 4 is just a solid buy. :thumbsup

After seeing the awesome job Brad did to his I'm starting to settle on which fedora to pick up first.

Thanks ob1al,
It's a standard, which is great so I can only imagine what the deluxe is like!!!!

Brad

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back