Star Trek TOS--The best replica boots available

I read quite a lot about this on TREK boards when I was preparing to do a TOS Spock uniform. I'm sure people will correct me if I'm wrong.

It seems folks are pretty much in agreement that only Kirk had the higher Cuban heels pictured on the Motorcowboy example. Everyone else had lower "standard" heels. Note that his photo example is of Kirk on the transporter.

Also, many people seem to agree that different seasons had slightly differently taped toes. I seem to recall season one was more pointy.

In my opinion, the leather on the Motorcowboy pair isn't shiny enough compared with the original boots. I think the matte nature of the leather also makes them look more charcoal grey than black, but it may simply be the photo.

Just my 2 cents. I'm sure more profoundly educated people will chime in.

$350 is a reasonable price for completely custom made shoes.

Rick

Last edited:
It's my understanding that MC's TOS boot offerings are inaccurate and overpriced, but good TOS boots are something of a Holy Grail of Trek costuming, so you'll be hard pressed to find better. Dewback Wing would probably be your best bet for a straight answer.

The originals were made from "glove leather" - very thin. I used to have some real good pics from auctions of the boots - I'll see if I can hunt them down.

The two different versions, or Protos, that Moto-boots has pictured were done for Phase -pistol and I.

I never went through and bought them though because they were still inaccurate and I got in on a run of boots that were made by the original maker.

I'm sure Karl will chime in and post some Pics!

I actually never got any Motorcowboy boots... I have some regular costume boots, very thin.

The boots used in the show were all kinds, some were Western boots (especially in the pilots and early episodes), but they eventually had pointed toes and high Cuban heels.

The boot ran all the way up to the knee at times.

Here are the Western type boots from "The Cage" (note the buckle!)

bootscdo9.jpg

Later boots with low heel.

bootsezk5.jpg

- k

- k

Last edited:
Hah, phase, I was watching Trek and I specifically screen capped that shot of Kirk carrying Chekov for reference. :lol

Oh, small question slightly related, in 'What Are Little Girls Made Of?', when Kirk is slipping off of the edge of the chasm, are the close-ups of the regular boots or stunt boots?

...or how about when Kirk is fighting drill thralls on Triskelion and his heels (and soles?) disappear? ;)

I am most interested in getting the lower heel versions in thse pictures- I guess from season two of the series. I think they look the most "classic" as i remember the show.

I actually never got any Motorcowboy boots... I have some regular costume boots, very thin.

The boots used in the show were all kinds, some were Western boots (especially in the pilots and early episodes), but they eventually had pointed toes and high Cuban heels.

The boot ran all the way up to the knee at times.

Here are the Western type boots from "The Cage" (note the buckle!)

bootscdo9.jpg

Later boots with low heel.

bootsezk5.jpg

- k

- k

I did Spock for DragonCon and thought these worked pretty well, they were costume boots though I got the one's that had the piratey? is that a word flaps since they looked overall a bit closer and cut off the top flap, also tightened them to my legs. For less expensive costume boots they did the trick. :)

STBoot.jpg

willies or durans thats it.

Willies want to much for them imo and the shop is now run by somebody else and has moved so the lineage to the show is gone imo.

Durans can do them and cheap too

I see you are in L.A. check both of them out

Duran's made my 66 Batman boots. They do awesome work. I need to order classic trek from them as well.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back