Finsished SG1/Atlantis P90 Sling (good pics & measurements)

cheech9898

Sr Member
Ok, I finally sat down tonight and finessed the actual shoulder harness portion and built up the P90 straps.

Here's the finished product with the original style strap on the P90
sDSC00853originalstraphanging.jpg

Bill of materials for the main shoulder harness is:

4 triglides
1 5-way buckle
2 ladder locks

**note all Heavy Duty Polypropylene webbing was ordered from Strapworks.com You want the HD (course weave) not the slicker weave lightweight stuff.
#needed x Inch width of webbing x length

2 x 3 inches wide x 25 inches long (sides that are 45'ed)
4 x 1 inch wide x 30 inches long (straps to 5-way buckle)

then either:
1 x 4 inch wide x 7 inches long
or
2 x 3 inches wide x 7 inches long (primrodo's method)

Sewings is basically:
1) With the 3 inch wide straps, sew a 3 inch double over for the bottom side that goes under the arm.
2) measure up from the new end (that you just doubled over) 6.5 inches and 45 the webbing then sew it. One side will be 45'ed to the left and the other to the right. Remember, you want the cut edge of the doubled over flap to be to the outside of the harness away from you. I just followed the perimeter about 1/8th of an inch in to sew the double overs down.
3) To double over the top. From what will be the 'longer side edge' of the top shoulder strap you want about 11.25 inches on that length and double it over so the cut edge is on the outside. This will give you roughly 3.75 inches to the top straps doubled over section.
4) Just sew on the lower 1 inch straps to the lower/under arm strap, just make sure the cut edge of the 1 inch strap is even with the cut edge of the 3 inch strap & that they're sewn down good.
5) For the upper 1 inch straps, match up the cut edge of the 3 inch webbing at the start of the double over & sew it down, slide on the ladder lock on the 1 inch webbing through back most bar only, then measure up 2 inches from the end of the top strap and sew down the 1 inch webbing again. Move the ladder lock down against the stich line you just placed and sew the 1 inch webbing down on that side of the ladder lock. This locks in place in its own little loop area. Stitch the heck out of it in the remaining areas since these 2 upper straps will be basically carrying all the weight.

sDSC00846mainharness.jpg

6) The back panel: You want about 5.5 inches between the 2 sides you just made. If you use the 4 inch webbing like I did I just lined the top edge to the top long edge created by the 45 turn of the 3 inch webbing. You'll have about 3/4 on each end of the back panel to use to sew each side 2 really well. If you do the 2 pieces of 3 inch webbing, just measure the width of the long 45 edge, sew the 2 pieces of 3 inch side-by-side to their overlapping width matches the long 45 edge and then use that built back panel & sew it in with the 5.5 inch spacing.
7) Done, put on triglides & 5-way buckle on straps and adjust accordingly

Building the P90 straps is a little more complicated. For either type you build you'll need basically:
2 x 1 inch side release buckles (try and find the flat straight ones, not the ones that kick down on the end, I get mine at Joann's & Hancock Fabrics. Been burned ordering online with outdated pictures on these)
1 x 1 inch wide metal loop rectangular ring ** note I got the flat black powder coated ones, show accurate would be silver but I didn't want anything reflective for my all black-ops outfit.
1 x 1 inch wide x 30 inches long strap

See pic's for assembly:
sDSC00849originalstrap.jpg

The looped side release webbing length is about 7.5 inches and is just long enough that you can open the side release (about 1 inch loop over on 1 end and 1.5 inch loop over on the other. ** note you have to slide this through the metal loop on the main strap before you final sew the last end on)

sDSC00848originalstrapcloseup.jpg

Completed & on gun
sDSC00847finished.jpg

The Alternate/Newer style P90 strap is slightly different & moves the basic arrangement around. The advantage is you can use the side release buckle between the gun and 5-way buckle more easily to quickly release the gun or you could build a belt loop w/ the opposite end of the buckle on it and hang the P90 from your Military web belt a-la Teal'c in the last few seasons & in The Arc of Truth. This setup makes the P90 hang lower, but due to the loop point being at the end of the P90 it ends up the same amount of slack if not slightly shorter to bring the P90 up to the shoulder.

This alternate buckled needs around a 40 inch piece of 1 inch wide webbing, 2 x 1 inch side release buckles, a triglide, and about a 7.5 inch piece of 1 inch webbing (to go from the upper side release to the 5-way, I did it so I ended up with 1 layer on 1 side and then 2 equal length ends on the back folded over so it was 3 layers thick & sewn. Here's pics

sDSC00857alternatestrap.jpg

sDSC00860alternatestrap.jpg

sDSC00858alternatestrap.jpg

sDSC00861alternatestrap.jpg

Hope that helps anyone wanting to build their own. All the 1 inch webbing lengths leave a lot of room for adjustment of the harness & most people will be able to cut off extra once they have it adjusted how they want. I have the stuff to build a few more so now that the measurements are finalized, as I have free time I may put some up on the Junkyard every now and then.

Last edited:
Re: Prototype SG1/Atlantis P90 Sling

Nice. I know fo one guy that makes SG1 and SGA slings and vests and they are not bad.

www.thevestguy.com

I may get once of those slings since I am a gun nut and nerd, but the best tac sling for your money is a 2 point sling from ERT. I have one for my PS90 and it is really nice.

Nice...I'll be in the market for a good Atlantis/Sg1 rig when I have finished my P-90 soon:)

High regards
TAZ

Primrodo, whats the back panel? is that 2 pieces of 3 inch webbing? Looks like your back panel is the full width of the edge created by the 45 degree fold over, mine is about 3/16ths short of being full width. That would have saved me tracking down the 4 inch webbing.

I haven't researched much the actual portion that goes on the P90 & lets it hang. I'm not sure what I'll be doing there yet. Looks like yours & the vest guy's has a side release buckle to disconnect it from the 5-way buckle, but I'm not sure convinced that is the way the shows were. You always see them undo the sides of the 5 way and the center buckle portion comes off with the P90.... Seems redundant & a waste of a side release buckle. I'll have to see what I can come up with going through stargatecaps, watching a few episodes, & that prop dept documentary from season 9 or 10 ( I remember the prop guy handling one, not sure if the 1 inch webbing sling was on it)

I've seen the VestGuy's sling before, no where near canon being made out of 1 piece of nylon cloth & having the edging on it, but definately not a bad option if you can't sew the webbing yourself. I was never able to get one of the SG6 website slings. Not sure what happened to the site owner but he disappeared & both the websites he owned SG6 and sgcommand.net went poof. There were alot of threads over there about paypal claims being filed & eventually someone even disabled the store portion but never told anyone on the forum what was going on.

Forgot to say, I even asked Angie Brown @ Legends a long while back if they could score me pics of the slings and they couldn't.

Yeah, from my reference from the show thats how they did it, two 3" wides together.

As for the portion that goes on the gun, it actually has two side release buckles, one that wraps around the P90 and one that goes around from a Dring and then around the D in the 5-Way. Mines a cheat that I have seen once or twice on Atlantis where the one side of that is attached to the D and can easy off.

And I agree vest Guys is way off IMO.

I've been going through trying to figure out how they did the actual p90 straps so I can work on making one. Your right Primrodo, there's 2 versions.

The original has the 1 buckle on the left side of the gun & what appears to be another piece of tape or possibly a triglide in some pics on the right... & the upper buckle is looped between the 5-way D & a D on the gun strap. Seen here.

p90straplooped.jpg

The new style has the buckle on the right side, which I would assume is due to rubbing/wear issues on the vests & a piece of tape or triglide on the left. And the upper side release buckle isn't looped.... this also is what leads the newer slings to let the p90 hang a bit lower & what allowed Teal'c to hang his p90 off of his utility belt. The option to hang off the belt would be really nice.

p90strapnonlooped.jpg

The only thing I know that mine won't be close on is the D on the gunstrap looks to be silver in most pics. I bought flat black powdercoated D's... not really a big issue... nothing shiney to give your position away I guess :) And on some of the newer ones the webbing may not have the D and is just looped through the bottom of the buckle & stitched (seen in the pic of the p90 on T's belt)

I am the ONLY person to my knowledge making screen accurate P-90's slings for SG-1 and SGA, but you did nice job on it! It should hold up nice!

It took me 5 years before I could get mine screen accurate and ready before I was willing to sell them...

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back