Pirates Land of the Dead Map Image Request

ARES GW

Does anyone have some screen shots of this map. Looking to make some custom wallpapers with it.:)

%5CAUTOIMAGES%5CAMCGC06lg.jpg

Thanks for posting those pics, Epona Rhi. :)

I'd love to try printing some of these out for displaying behind some of my Pirates props. Does anyone else have the second picture (or any others like it) in high-res? I'll try printing out the shot posted above, but I'm not sure how big I'll be able to take it without losing a lot of the detail.

I know there are a couple of large canvas prints coming out but $$$$$..and I did see one of EvilBay that was on cavas with the bambo backing on it..$$$$$$$. Yes Hi-res would be nice...

I would also love to get an 1:1 replica, which doesn't cost a leg to purchase. Can someone help?
The thread with the same content seems to be dead unfortunately... Someone wanted to do a replica map...

I found this gallery has some decent-quality screencaps of the map at various angles. It also has screencaps from the DVD extras, which includes some of the making of the map.

http://screenmusings.org/AtWorldsEnd/index.htm

Looking them over, I come to the conclusion that the image above is not of the final prop. It lacks the words. Or, perhaps, it's an image of the actual non-rotating "map" prop, and the closeups with the words and rings used the non-flexible wooden version that rotated.

I've been thinking that you might be able to make something functional that rolled up like a map if you used washers as "rails" for the rings, and made them slide in grooves you made in the "reeds." Not sure what you'd use for the "paper" though -- it would need to be flexible enough not to hold the rolled-up shape, while being hard enough to hold form while rotated. Canvas? Mylar sheeting of an appropriate thickness?

fyi,
there are different versions of the map and no two are identical as they were aged by hand. There should be the version that spins, rolled bamboo, solid paper.

The roller map isnt bamboo or wood at all.

the one that spun didnt roll up so your talking about meshing all versions of the map seen in the film? Suppose it could be done. Make the spin base first and then apply the map. For some reason a childs game mat comes to mind.
I'm going to have to look for those. Are you talking about Aquadoodle-style stuff?

just googled "aquadoodle" and that looks like the stuff. Maybe get a base mat and then another for the map. You should be able to attach the two with a track system while still keeping the entire thing somewhat thin and simple. However, the track system would need to be spot on to function.

I've been working on this one for awhile myself. I haven't gotten very far into it, really...just getting the paper aged, and the mat painted. It's just been a matter of finding the time, the engergy and the patients to work on it. However, I have managed to keep my 5-year old daughter from getting at it with her crayons, so that's a bonus.

Anyway, I can't quiet figure out how the spinning map could possibly be a rolling map, too...I mean, even with the circles all being connected in the center with a pin or something, how can they spin clockwise and counterclockwise and still be rolled up, all the while remaining nice and flat? My guess is that they used a bit of prop trickery to pull that off, sort of like that locket in "The Illusionist".

I'm still working on my map, though...it's coming along slowly but surely. I've decided to draw the whole thing by hand and staying off the computer for it, except to download any reference pics.

again,
there were different maps for different scenes.
No roll up map spun, no spinning map rolled up.

For the track on a map applied to a mat, the track would also need to be a soft material. It could be done, but, why? Thats my question.

again,
there were different maps for different scenes.
No roll up map spun, no spinning map rolled up.

For the track on a map applied to a mat, the track would also need to be a soft material. It could be done, but, why? Thats my question.

But wait...didn't Jack unroll the map, lay it down and spin it to learn that "up is down" before flipping the ship? And at the very end of the movie..didn't we see Barbosa unroll the map, finding the middle had been torn out...then see Jack unrolling the piece he stole, laying it flat and spinning it until the Fountain of Youth image came into view? THAT was a rolling AND spinning map.

Last edited:
I just watched those two parts again... In the "Up is Down" scene, the map is already flat when the scene begins. But in the "Fountain" scene, he does unroll it, but then there's a quick cut to Jack's face, so it's possible that they switched the maps in between the shots.

Oh, I don't doubt that for a second...I was just making a point that there must have been some, as I put it earlier, "prop trickery" going on for there to be a map that could both roll AND spin. The suggestion is that the map could do both, but obviously a seperate prop had to be used to pull off the effect.
It would be cool to come up with a way to make one single map that could roll up and still spin, but I have no idea how it could be done and still look as as good.

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back