1:18 Sunstar Back To The Future Delorean

Do you know if anyone else makes a better one?

thanks for the info!

FB

I don't think anyone else makes them in that scale, but they'd be a really nice base for some better aftermarket detailing parts. A better Mr. Fusion would be a big improvement by itself. :)

-Sarge

I didn't know a 1/18th scale kit was available.

Actually, the Sun Star 1:18 isn't a kit; it's a finished, die-cast metal model. And a pretty decent one, too! :love

I'm aware of at least four different versions by Sun Star in this scale. They include (1) the original BTTF DeLorean (with the metal rod that extended from the back of the car to catch the electricty from the lightning bolt); (2) the DeLorean as seen in BTTF II (with Mr. Fusion and wheels that flip into "flying mode"); (3) the DeLorean as seen in BTTF III (with white-wall tires and equipment strapped to the hood); and (4) the railroad-ready version of the DeLorean from BTTF III (with railcar wheels and a strip of scale RR track included).

I own the BTTF II version and am quite happy with it. The body has the burnished look and cold metal feel of a real DeLorean (not surprising, since both are made of stainless steel), working gullwing doors, hood that flips up to reveal the front-end trunk, and wheels that flip up into "flight mode" by operating a sliding switch on the underside of the car. This allows you to change the configuration of all four wheels simultaneously.

The interior is reasonably well-detailed for the money, and the Mr. Fusion unit includes a clear piece like its movie counterpart.

If there's anything to complain about, I'd say it's the tendency of the wheels to wobble in both wheels-up and wheels-down configurations. The "flying mode" feature leaves the wheels without any real "locked" position, so the car won't roll as smoothly as other die-cast cars in this scale. The front wheels also do not turn to the left and right, again because of the flying mode feature. But these really aren't much of a problem if you are just displaying the model and not playing with it. :p The wobbly wheel problem probably doesn't exist on the other three versions of the model.

For the money, I think this is a really nice model and guess it would be hard to do better. Of course, the details (interior, license plate, Mr. Fusion, etc.) could be improved with aftermarket parts (if they exist), but then you're looking at more money and/or labor.

I don't have any pictures handy, but I'd think a little surfing on the 'net should yield something. If not, I'll see about digging out my camera and getting some shots for you.

Hope this helps! :)

--

Ooh, I see there have been several responses while I was writing this message... :redface

Last edited:
I just saw the railroad version. I saw the pics on the internet but wanted to get an owners opinion since sometimes the pics don't match the final product.

Thanks for the info!! :thumbsup

FB

Actually there are five versions. They also make a stock Delorean as well. But then, it would'nt really be a BTTF would it.....

I have the stock version and love it. The stainless finish on it is very realistic.

I picked up both versions, and BTTF2 and a stock Delorean, so I could do a cutsom build that was accurate. Honestly, the components were easily removed and modded, and a really nice redo is very possible on any one of the cars, I'm sure.
Best of luck!

Funny story about the Sunstar DMC...

I can tell you EXACTLY why the Mr. Fusion looks like that!

I was working at Universal Studios Hollywood, and my big thing was getting the screen used Delorean restored, mostly because of the Frankencar they turned it into.

BEFORE I had the work done and they used my Krupps and screen-used base to have an accurate replica made and installed, the guys at the Tram Garage who were in charge of maintainance made this...

FusionCar1.jpg

...out of rolled sheet metal, a base from the BTTF The Ride vehicles and a wood plug at the top.

When the Mr. Lin from Sunstar came out to research the vehicle for their car, I grabbed my keys and gave him the grand tour, inside and out.

I ALSO gave him pics of the "real" Mr. Fusion and went into great detail about the screen accurate version...unfortunately a good portion of our conversation was lost to the language barrier between us...obviously :)

Their attention to detail is outstanding! The Mr. Fusion on their car looks JUST LIKE this one ;)

Steve

I have the 4 versions, and though I'm only somewhat educated on the details of the backs of #1+2, they're missing small details (cables and wires and the like) But overall I'm very happy with them, nice size and finish.

Unlike the Ghostbusters Ecto 1 that was put out in that scale, it was stupid how bad the details were in the roof rack.

BEFORE I had the work done and they used my Krupps and screen-used base to have an accurate replica made and installed, the guys at the Tram Garage who were in charge of maintainance made this...

FusionCar1.jpg

...out of rolled sheet metal, a base from the BTTF The Ride vehicles and a wood plug at the top.

Ouch... WAY "ouch".

I have the version from BTTF part 1. For the amount I paid for it, I think it is pretty good. There are things I would like better, like if the door fit a bit better, but I am happy I have it.

Actually, the Sun Star 1:18 isn't a kit; it's a finished, die-cast metal model. And a pretty decent one, too! :love

I'm aware of at least four different versions by Sun Star in this scale. They include (1) the original BTTF DeLorean (with the metal rod that extended from the back of the car to catch the electricty from the lightning bolt); (2) the DeLorean as seen in BTTF II (with Mr. Fusion and wheels that flip into "flying mode"); (3) the DeLorean as seen in BTTF III (with white-wall tires and equipment strapped to the hood); and (4) the railroad-ready version of the DeLorean from BTTF III (with railcar wheels and a strip of scale RR track included).

I own the BTTF II version and am quite happy with it. The body has the burnished look and cold metal feel of a real DeLorean (not surprising, since both are made of stainless steel), working gullwing doors, hood that flips up to reveal the front-end trunk, and wheels that flip up into "flight mode" by operating a sliding switch on the underside of the car. This allows you to change the configuration of all four wheels simultaneously.

The interior is reasonably well-detailed for the money, and the Mr. Fusion unit includes a clear piece like its movie counterpart.

If there's anything to complain about, I'd say it's the tendency of the wheels to wobble in both wheels-up and wheels-down configurations. The "flying mode" feature leaves the wheels without any real "locked" position, so the car won't roll as smoothly as other die-cast cars in this scale. The front wheels also do not turn to the left and right, again because of the flying mode feature. But these really aren't much of a problem if you are just displaying the model and not playing with it. :p The wobbly wheel problem probably doesn't exist on the other three versions of the model.

For the money, I think this is a really nice model and guess it would be hard to do better. Of course, the details (interior, license plate, Mr. Fusion, etc.) could be improved with aftermarket parts (if they exist), but then you're looking at more money and/or labor.

I don't have any pictures handy, but I'd think a little surfing on the 'net should yield something. If not, I'll see about digging out my camera and getting some shots for you.

Hope this helps! :)

--

Ooh, I see there have been several responses while I was writing this message... :redface

I got the BTTF II version too...but you know what pissed me off? WRONG LICENSE PLATE! I was thinking of putting together the orange barcode style plate but that scale is too infuriating.

All and all, though, a great replica. There was some leftover flashing around some of the wires along the back and sides of the car, but a little Xacto action fixed it up real nice.

-Jonaas

I have the 2015 version, and I got mine right when they came out. I really like it...except I should have waited.

My good friend has the whole collection that he just got within the last two years. On my DeLorean, the passenger door won't stay open at all and it does not fit snugly into its frame. Also, the side mirror came off. My other big issue with this model is the wheels. When they are "up," they lean outwards from the top, unless it is sitting flat on a surface.

My friend's collection is in near perfect condition. His doors fit smoothly and everything is nice and clean on it. Sadly, I think that (with the luck I normally have when it comes to collectibles) I just got a bad one.:cry

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back