Licensed Indy Fedora

LordFett

Sr Member
Didn't see this on the search. Not sure how screen accurate it is, but it is licensed.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/apparel/hats-ties/a67f/

The Hat

You know the hat. It's become an iconic symbol which is, thankfully, finally returning to the big screen. Indiana Jones' hat is the hat we've always wanted to wear. But the hat really wasn't just one hat. There were at least three different types of hats (of various costs and specialties) used in the films. Out of all of the three, the fur felt hat was the "hero" hat. What that means is, the other hats get used and abused during the action sequences - but when it's time for a close up, on goes the fur felt fedora. There are other licensed hats out there, but they are only wool felt. This one is 100% fur felt - just like the real "hero" hat - because you deserve to be the hero.

This officially licensed, fur felt fedora has got to be worn to fully appreciate its majesty. It is so comfortable and soft, and one feel lets you know this isn't a cheap knock off. It's a hand made work of art that you'll be passing down to your children and your children's children (because apart from looking beautiful - it's that tough). Even the inside is beautiful - with a leather sweatband and satin lining both emblazoned with "Indiana Jones." There's also a little Indiana Jones charm on the hatband (which is easily removed for a more movie-accurate look). Seriously, this hat is built to be worn into any situation and come out intact (even if you have to reach back under a closing rock door to grab it - dramatically at the last second, of course). But why are you still reading this? Order one now and get started on your own Raidersly Templetastic, Crusadingly Skully adventures.

I am almost hesitant to post here, as there is virtually nothing good to say about this licensed hat, with the possible exception that it is fur felt, not wool felt.

But nothing else about this hat is even remotely close to any Indiana Jones hat in any movie. The crown is wrong (very tapered), the bash (the creases in the crown) are wrong, the brim is wrong, etc etc.

I do not recommend spending $100 on it. A bad investment.

You can get a much closer hat for almost the same money by purchasing the standard Akubra Federation from Hatsdirect in Australia:

http://www.hatsdirect.com/cgi/products.cgi?group=Fedora+Hats

I think even the non-licensed Jaxon Iconoclast is a better match:

http://www.villagehatshop.com/jaxon_iconoclast.html

Cheers.

Rick

Didn't see this on the search. Not sure how screen accurate it is, but it is licensed.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/apparel/hats-ties/a67f/

Lordy-loo that hat is 40 shades of wrong.

The bash is painfully wrong. Even if you manage to straighten it out, it's going to have oddball creases from that godawful teardrop bash.

It has too much side-taper. The original Indy lid looks kinda funny because the sides are so dang straight up and down. Makes it look like a 10 gallon hat.

The brim needs to be dimensionally cut so that it's longer than it is wide.

And more importantly, I don't think Dr. Jones would wear a hat that has a pin with his own nickname on it. It'd be like superman wearing one of those superman halloween costumes - the plastic smock with a picture of superman on it.

Do yourself a favor and get the akubra federation (get the deluxe if you can afford it). I got the fed deluxe 5 years ago and it has been through some of the worst weather the east coast of the US can throw at it - hundred degree sun, torrential rain and snow storms - and it still looks as good today as the day I got it. The only thing you have to do to it, is shape it. You can go with any look from any of the 4 films. Best hat you'll ever get for the money.

-Fred

Does anyone have an opinion on the licensed one on Indianajones.com for around $39?

Is it similarly not that great?

Huzz

I'd go with the Akubra. It's cost-effective, looks accurate enough, and is inexpensive enough that it works for daily wear. If it blows off in a stiff wind (if you forget to staple it to your head), you won't be QUITE as bothered as, say, a $500 hat blowing off.

I'd go with the Akubra. It's cost-effective, looks accurate enough, and is inexpensive enough that it works for daily wear. If it blows off in a stiff wind (if you forget to staple it to your head), you won't be QUITE as bothered as, say, a $500 hat blowing off.

Thanks Solo!

It gets Pretty windy here so those staples may be in order LOL! What do you think of the cheaper Jaxon? I'm looking to put together a low budget Indy costume and if the Jaxon will do the trick I may consider that.

Huzz

Of course, but its worth it, obviously if hes just intending to spend around 100 i agree with gigatron, get the federation.

Regards,

LJ

Its not worth the run around you will get when you are waiting over a year for a hat.

Marc who runs the European side of AB is MUCH nicer to deal with.

JP05 - are you saying it will take a year to get the Akubra Federation from Hats Direct at the link posted earlier in this thread?

Huzz

Yeah, I just received my Akubra federation last week. Received it in about 10 days.

It's fantastic and very easy to bash! (They come opened crowned)

Recommended!

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back