Gladiator Helmet

Heres my bronze sculpted Maximus helmet that I did about 2 years ago

gear005.jpg

Hey Tim how to you get your work cast in metal. What did you sculpt in, clay or wax, and what type of clay, or wax, or what ever the material was.
Ball park cost also.
Thanks
Dale

I sculpted it in oil-based clay 1st, made a silicone mold off it with a plaster backing on the rubber. Then did the "lost-wax" casting technique, we have a small foundry at my school so I did all the venting and gating myself and poured the bronze. I think the total cost for the entire project was probable around $100 just for the bronze. Im sure if I had sent the sculpt off to a foundry to be molded, vented gated, casted and cleaned up the cost would have much much higher

excellent work Tim. And again. Great Maximus costume.
Love the 300!!!

GM. I thought you had one of the max helmets. let me know and I will send you the mesurments.

Best
Steve

Here's me in my costume at DC 07..

dragoncon2007037Medium.jpg

and a pic from a recent prop party in Indy..

IMG_0014Medium.jpg

Hey Darth Clayton. Saw you at D-C, dont know if you might recall but everytime I seemed to see you I was in my stormtrooper gear, I allway's did the roman fist to chest salute each time I saw you x 3 I think ?

I thought that helmet was nice, but had read stuff by people on line that it was not so great ? as in lopsided / bad fit. How did you find it to be ? Note here is a pic in my suit, sort of modled ( loosley:rolleyes:lol ) on the RC armor from Gladiator less the nice details, just armor I collected off ebay..

Note are you wearing your armor again this year ?

Picture051.jpg

BUMP!
Whats the good word on the Wolf-head sculpt?

We getting it done, or what?

I have a helmet that needs "adornment".

Also, which sword replica is the most accurate?
I noticed two different ones on Evilbay. One had silver accents and the other brass.
The Brass was the cheaper one, but both were reasonable prices for "decorators".

Last edited:
God help me, its Dave B. How are yah man ! Its me Jose from when you lived here in cali ! Anyhow, yes, I am on it. It shouldn't take a but a few days to sculpt and I will throw it in silicone.

God help me, its Dave B. How are yah man ! Its me Jose from when you lived here in cali ! Anyhow, yes, I am on it. It shouldn't take a but a few days to sculpt and I will throw it in silicone.

JOSE !!!
Wasuup Man?
Small E-World, eh.

I am glad you are on the wolf-head job.
Is it gonna be metal?
Any ideas on pricing?

I have hopes of someday putting together a pseudo-Maximus costume.
Kinda a fantasy Roman Officer.
Always liked the character Miles Gloriosus from AFTHOTWTTF :)

I just checked out yer 300DC site. NICE.
Lotsa talent over there.
I wish I could get into THAT kinda shape in time to play Spartan at DC.
If I tried to wear that outfit women would throw things at me, but it wouldn't be money. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
The plan was to get the resin copy going and have steve do them in metal (if that's the route we want to go)

Thanks for the kudos bud !

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back