Suggestions on where to buy plexiglass, Please!

AlderaanGirl

I sadly messed up on the plexiglass I was going to install on my helmet. The sad thing is, I did not buy it originally the person who sent me the helmet did. I have no clue as to where to find this thin tinted plexiglass. :( I thought about Lowes and Home Depot, but I do not know for sure if they carry the tinted kind.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance. ~ Lori

Check your yelow pages under glass. Usually your locla sellers who sell it by the pane, will sell tinted plexiglass.

-or-

You can make it yourself, buy automotive tinting, cut to size, and put it on the plexiglass....

Originally posted by Darth Detroit@Mar 21 2006, 09:46 PM
Check your yelow pages under glass. Usually your locla sellers who sell it by the pane, will sell tinted plexiglass.

-or-

You can make it yourself, buy automotive tinting, cut to size, and put it on the plexiglass....
[snapback]1210654[/snapback]​
Thanks. I will look into it. :) I should have known to ask you ;)

Btw...you know what I messed up.. You have no idea how upset I am. :cry

Originally posted by AlderaanGirl+Mar 22 2006, 02:55 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AlderaanGirl @ Mar 22 2006, 02:55 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Darth Detroit
@Mar 21 2006, 09:46 PM

-or-

[snapback]1210660[/snapback]​
[/b]

Oh I can imagine. It took me 13 tries to get my first hardware MPP replica right.

Originally posted by Darth Detroit+Mar 21 2006, 09:57 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Darth Detroit @ Mar 21 2006, 09:57 PM)</div>
Originally posted by AlderaanGirl@Mar 22 2006, 02:55 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-Darth Detroit
@Mar 21 2006, 09:46 PM

-or-

[snapback]1210660[/snapback]​

Oh I can imagine. It took me 13 tries to get my first hardware MPP replica right.
[snapback]1210663[/snapback]​
[/b]

:( I hear ya. We love the props no matter how frustrating they get. Oh well.... again thanks for all the help

What kind of helmet is it for?

If it's a Fett helmet my friend has a cheap source that only costs about $5.00.

Originally posted by AlderaanGirl@Mar 21 2006, 06:41 PM
I sadly messed up on the plexiglass I was going to install on my helmet.  The sad thing is, I did not buy it originally the person who sent me the helmet did.  I have no clue as to where to find this thin tinted plexiglass.  :(  I thought about Lowes and Home Depot, but I do not know for sure if they carry the tinted kind.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance. ~ Lori
[snapback]1210649[/snapback]​

Originally posted by propsculptor@Mar 22 2006, 12:21 AM

It is a "bounty hunter". But, its Boushh. Your source may just work.
Thanks I appreciate any kind of help. :)

I'll contact my friend tonite and let you know.

Glad to help :D

Originally posted by AlderaanGirl+Mar 21 2006, 09:24 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AlderaanGirl @ Mar 21 2006, 09:24 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-propsculptor
@Mar 22 2006, 12:21 AM

It is a "bounty hunter". But, its Boushh. Your source may just work.
Thanks I appreciate any kind of help. :)
[snapback]1210745[/snapback]​
[/b]

for a fett (and a little elbow grease), you can probably cut out the face shield of a face guard. its a flip down shield that fits on a hard hat. they sell the liners (or shields) and most places that handle construction supplies, and the tint can be put on via automotive tint.

i think they run in the 2-3$ range for the shield, moreso if you want the whole "flip down" helmet package in case you are going to do some side grinding or something.

good luck with the project.
chris

I have made a few tinted visors for my fett helmets.

What i do is buy a sheet of perspex anbout A4 size.

Then cut out a sheet of window tinting film about the same size, wet the plastic and appy the film, rub it down and then leave it for a couple of days so the glue sets properly, then you can cut it as one piece.

I can do this for you if you like as i have a sheet at home, pm me.

Thanks to everyone for their help. hydin, propsculptor, darth detroit and fettster

propsculptor: I really appreciate the info you pmed me. That would have worked out perfectly. As it turned out I was able to hunt down some tinted plexiglass. I had to buy a 2 ft x 3 ft sheet. Which was ok, the guy only charged me $8 for it :D

fettster I do appreciate your generous offer. Thanks for offering your help.

After finding the plexiglass, then it was home to apply it. I never realised what a pain it was going to be. It took me all day (well I did stop :p) cutting, sizing, fitting, then resizing, applying etc. Then again...this is all new to me. :unsure

Here's a quick couple of pics of it done. PLEASE excuse the so-so quality. I just could not shoot the picture good with the lighting and all. Also, please be gentle. I am new at this, so the weathering and all is all too new to me. I've NEVER done it before :( That's why its taking me some time to do this. Its still NOT done. I have some minor painting to do before adding the leather to it. :confused

visorboushh.jpg

visorhelmet1a.jpg

Again.. THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR HELP. I truly appreciate all your advice on the plexiglass :)

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back