Research Thread: Batman Begins / Dark Knight "bump" batarangs...

synasp

Sr Member
We have the flat steel ones down, but no one seems to have built the copper ones with the bump in the middle (not out of steel, anyway, and what's a batarang if it's not made of steel? :D).
  • Does anyone have reference pictures of this?
  • Is the edge bevels really only on one side?
  • What's the mechanism for locking the fold down the middle in place?
  • Should the "fold" be static, for a prop, and just have a line down the middle simulating this mechanism?
I imagine Bruce would make it so that once the 'rang is opened from being folded in half, the 'rang would lock open/flat permanently (meaning we might as well make it in the "locked" position).

Re: Research Thread: Batman Begins copper "bump" batarangs...

While I'm sure it wouldn't be 100% accurate, I saw a licensed metal batarang money clip that folded in the middle. It might be a decent start... for the shape and bevels, at least...

Yeah Noble Collection sells the money clips. Other than that, I have nothing to add. :)

Woot! Post 500! :cool :lol

theres a new poster where hes holding one of these, has the bump and seam down the middle, but the whole thing is black.

I've wondered about these and if anybody ever made one. I imagine the ideal version would be able to be locked open but just having one that's accurately sized with a hinge on the back would be cool IMHO.

The money clip version is pretty cool though and looks pretty good in it's shape and function.

yeah, just tiny in size.

I believe this is also the one he used when he almost killed Al-Ghul at the end of Begins, had it folded in his hand pointed down at him.

Oh, heres the new poster with the black one.

poster8.jpg

Does anyone have any screen caps? Any reference pictures of this folded?

oh, also DC Direct made a set that had one of those ones and two little ones. Not sure it it folded or not though.

Here's some screen caps.

Image2.jpg

Image3.jpg

Image4.jpg

Image5.jpg

Is this what you're looking for? I can try and get others as well, though I'm not sure they show the backside ever.

I'm not positive, but it looks like the folding ones are a bit larger than the static ones. Also looks like they have their own special holster.

Last edited:

Here's a few more. Definitely looks flat on the other side in the scene where the thug picks it up.

Image6.jpg

Image7.jpg

Image8.jpg

Image9.jpg

Great screen caps! Does anyone have the DC Direct dimensions for their big and small Begins prop? I'll compare that to the flat 'rangs since we know that dimension. I also noticed a Dark Knight set, which looks cartoon-y.

It almost looks like the folding ones dont have the bump, just the smaller static ones. I don't mean the ones he makes on the grinder, just the slightly smaller non folding copper/gold colored ones.

EDIT: looking at my screencaps again, maybe the folders do have the bump, I see a "U" shaped shadow on the face similar to the non folders.

DC Direct set. I think first set were released with Batman Begins and 2nd set are new...maybe.
DCD-BMB9.jpg

08_batarang.jpg

They make it seem as if only the large one has the bump and fold.

Yeah I'd guess somewhere around 4" for the smaller one.

Somewhere around 6" for the folder?

4" is really small! I made some 5.75" and they were real small. You would have to water jet cut these I think to get the details correct.

FB

Wow, that's not even close to screen accurate. Does anyone have measurements? From the screen caps Dann posted, the small ones definitely have a bump to them.

Agreed. I had never noticed that before either. Gotta be someone who has the DC direct ones I can get measurements from. I'll let you know what I come up with...

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back