Firefly , Mal Reynolds questions.

jason1976

Sr Member
I asked these questions in the old thread, but got no real reply. I think that thread is too old, so I'll try it this way.

Dumb question, but what the heck is a "corded shirt? Is that like corduroy?

And I'm still not sure what pants to get, I know there Wester riding pants, but there are so many different brands and styles. Mostly I need to know how many packets to get. I see quite a few pair that look like Mal's to me, but come in different numbers of packets. (like 4, 5, etc pockets.)

Oh, and is there a cheep option for the gloves?

Thanks
Jason

You looked through this thread right?

Depending on what version of the costume you're going for (TV or Movie) the shirt could be easy or challenging. For a TV version just start looking around some second hand shops. I found two shirts for $4.00. For a movie version you'll have to make that yourself or have it made.

Pants, this is what I used. In fact, I think most people used them.

Yeah, I read all through that thread, in fact, I even posted these questions a couple of times over there, and never got a clear reply. I'm doing the TV version, and I still don't kow what a "corded" shirt is. (witch those doing the the show versijon say they used for there costume.s.)

I've never heard the term corded shirt before, so I'm a little confused.

For my Mal costume, I just got a linen shirt off eBay. Linen or cotton ie naturaly fibres is the way to go.

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider

Yeah, I thought his shirt look like just a fairly normal shirt, but in the old thread here, and some of the threads that wer on the Verse (when it was still around) Said "Blah, Blah, Blah, and I picked up a corded shirt, so I'm all set for my Mal costume." I've been asking for 3 years, and I never get an answer. :(

Anyway's, thanks for the info gang.

Where do you get the "grosgrain" ribbon to go down the legs of the pants? It was said in the othere thread, that "grosgrain" ribbon was used for the Paints, but I've looked online, and in all my local stores, and all I can find is ribbon with the grooves running the rong way. (You know, if they were on my leg they would be going side to side, were they need to be going up and down like on the show.) The con I need this for is this coming Friday (the 23rd) so I'm really down to the wire here.

Dumb question, but what the heck is a "corded shirt?" Is that like corduroy?

They're taking about the fabric. You need to look for a 100% cotton shirt with a fine weave. "Corded cotton" feels a little like a soft suede to the touch, although a coarser weave gives you muslin, which might be more like Mal's shirt. I couldn't tell you, because whenever I watch Firefly, I'm always looking at Morena Baccarin. :)

Where do you get the "grosgrain" ribbon to go down the legs of the pants? It was said in the othere thread, that "grosgrain" ribbon was used for the Paints, but I've looked online, and in all my local stores, and all I can find is ribbon with the grooves running the rong way. (You know, if they were on my leg they would be going side to side, were they need to be going up and down like on the show.) The con I need this for is this coming Friday (the 23rd) so I'm really down to the wire here.

I found the right kind of grosgrain ribbon on eBay...it's one inch wide and is white with six brown stripes running down the length of it. I found a lot of similar ones - like 5/8 inch wide, or navy stripes instead of brown stripes - but this is the only bit I saw that matched the "accurate" picture I've seen. It still has to be dyed properly though.

This is the eBay store I got it from...I guess they have a stockpile of vintage ribbon they found in a warehouse. Might be worth a try to at least get a similar-style one.

http://stores.ebay.com/Carol-Wright..._W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQfsubZ3231573QQftidZ1QQtZkm

I'm having no luck finding this ribbon. I found something similar HERE, but the color seems off and the minimum order is 100 yards. I need about 3.33 yards.

Did anyone ever track down this ribbon?
malsribbon.png

Well, I have hear a lot of things on the board, (like that the original ribin was something called "gross grain" or something like that?)

A few years go when I did my costume, I just cut up an old, brown, corduroy shirt, and made strips out of it. :)

I did meat a guy at the convention I wore that costume to, in a Mal costume of his own. He had put a lot of time, and money into his. He showed me his strips, and they looked dead on to me, and he said that they where from some old, southern, police department, uniform. (or was it "state highway patrol"?) Anyway, I was never able to find them. And, I never saw the guy again. (wish I did, he has the only pics of me in my costume taken at the whole convention. :( )

Unless you're just a stickler for accuracy like that, I wouldn't sweat it too much.

You might try at a military surplus store to see if they have any dress pants with a strip on and see what they are made of, then do the same thing in brown. Odds are pretty good they'd stand up to some wear and tear a little better than ribbon.

It will drive me crazy if the stripe is too off. I'll try to find something that is tolerable. I'll start an ebay search. I wish I knew if there was a specific name for the ribbon that goes down a pant leg.

What I remember hearing quite some time ago was that the original ribbon was grosgrain, six brown lines on a white background, and dyed/bleached a few times to get that darker look. I don't know where that info came from, but I managed to find a roll of grosgrain matching that description on eBay (and it looks pretty damn close, to my eyes). For what it's worth, it's a disservice to call it "ribbon" - it's more like a strip of thin fabric.

One of these days, I'll figure out how to dye it correctly, and then if I have any left over on the roll, I will get rid of it here!

EDIT: Dang, didn't realize I'd made almost the exact same comment ~3 years ago! Hahah. Don't mind me, then.

What I remember hearing quite some time ago was that the original ribbon was grosgrain, six brown lines on a white background, and dyed/bleached a few times to get that darker look. I don't know where that info came from, but I managed to find a roll of grosgrain matching that description on eBay (and it looks pretty damn close, to my eyes). For what it's worth, it's a disservice to call it "ribbon" - it's more like a strip of thin fabric.

One of these days, I'll figure out how to dye it correctly, and then if I have any left over on the roll, I will get rid of it here!

EDIT: Dang, didn't realize I'd made almost the exact same comment ~3 years ago! Hahah. Don't mind me, then.

Well, based on your post, I found some white and brown, 6 stripe, 1 inch Grosgrain ribbon on eBay.

There is more available. I think I'm not supposed to link to the auction but if you search for 1" 5 Yards Brown White Stripe Grosgrain Ribbon you might find some on the bay right now. ;)

It's close enough and much more cost effective than the other options I've seen today. I bought enough that I can test dye a bit to get it right before I do the final ribbon for my pants.

Well they make "Tan" RIT dye, that is very close to the color of those pants. I would guess, if you dyed the grosgrain, with that, it would make the white part tan, and the brown parts, a darker, richer, brown. (though you certainly should try it on a small piece first. )

And thanks for posting the info, on where to get some, I do believe I'll pick some up myself. :)

I think you just might be on to something. I always thought the stripes were from texture, not color, but I can see it the other way now. How do you suppose they bound the edge though? It looks like some really narrow bias tape, but I can't tell.

Also though, it doesn't look like it's going to take dye much (if at all). It's 100% polyester and it's got that resilient shine to it.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back