1/2 studio scale Offworld Blimp - DONE!!

Re: 1/2 studio scale Offworld Blimp

This is probably a stupid question, but, do you have the Cinefex book, Jason? It's got some nice pix of the blimp and some text on how it was made.

BTW, congrats on scoring the commercial loop. Anything neat in there that got cut?

-Mike

Last edited:

Oh MAN this is a cool project! It's interesting, I haven't seen anyone else tackle this before. I wish you luck, and I can see a bunch of people are interested in a kit already!

I can't wait to see that thing showing the Offworld clip on those screens. :thumbsup How are you going to have it displayed once you're done, or haven't you thought that far ahead yet?

EDIT: Also, if you don't mind, could I have a copy of that wallpaper? I would love to set that as my second monitor's wallpaper!

Last edited:

Yerp - The Cinefex book is where I get the bug to make the Blimp, and scanned the pics and scaled up to make the wallpapers I made last year. You want 'em? Sure thing:

http://www.roboterkampf.com/temp/blimp1.jpg
http://www.roboterkampf.com/temp/blimp2.jpg

I'll probably have it mount to a panavise, from the bottom, with a power cable snaking up the shaft. I can hide a power strip inside, so the light rig and both screens can then run off of one cord that exits the blimp itself. There will be a ton of room inside, but it will get heavy, so I want to mount this one from the balance point on the bottom, and have that mount point tie into an inner armature. For the "original" three screened one (I don't plan to light that one) I'll mount it to the ceiling and set 'er up at work. It should be crazy-light.

The ad has a bunch of stuff not seen in the film, as it cuts away to Deckard, and the audio is of course continuous. It also sounds a lot like Holden - I wonder if it was the same actor? The Geisha stuff is also full of unused material.

I'll start on this in earnest after WF in July. I want to have as much to take to the show as possible, but want to finish the balls I already have in the air, first - only have two and a half months!!

I'm in the process of getting access to the photoetched material now... wish me luck!

Probably another 'duh' statement, but there're a few quick closeups of different areas of the blimp in "Dangerous Days". Bits I hadn't seen before, anyways. Maybe the top?

Good luck, Jason :)

-Mike

Last edited:

great job so far..always wonderful to see blade runner props come to life.
will be watching this with interest.
will you plan on bringing this to Wonderfest next year?
that is IF you get it done in time?

Oh my yes!
I'll bring the screen this year, so you can see it in action :)

Lets see a picture of your mockup.
It'll be something if you can build it.
Get sanding.

Knowing your record Jason this thing will most certainly kick some butt. I'll be watching with elation.

Heh, Shanko 'ol buddy, I see what you're doing. You're trying to turn the mirror back on your accuser... good idea, except I actually produce high quality items, at a sometimes dizzying rate. I'll get on the blimp as soon as I finish the other projects I have on my plate:

The Monarch bust (had to make a priority to get ready for molds):
P1060189.jpg

ESB AT-ST (Metal armature arrives this week so work can resume):
P1050969.jpg

Dragonar-Kai (A non-MaK Kow Yokoyama mech):
P1060175.jpg

1/20th scale MaK Bananaboat (due to have patterns finished for Summer, 2009 Tokyo trip):
P1050253.jpg

MaK model I am designing (I work on it only when I feel inspired):
P1050249.jpg

MaK model I am designing (only work on it when I feel inspired):
P1030001.jpg

MaK 1/20th scale Lunadiver (hope to have patterns complete for kitting in time for Feb Tokyo Wonderfestival):
P1050404.jpg

BSG-inspired Ragtag ship (hope to have done for July WF):
P1010784.jpg

2nd Ragtagger (also hope to have done for July):
P1050633.jpg

Check-mate, Shanky! You know what? I'll throw you a bone and say that "you got me" - I am 100% guilty of having way too many projects in-flux. I am a scatterbrained model maker.... but oh no, I'm certainly not incapable of finishing things. Here's a few models I finished during the time it took for you develop the thread where you talk about the idea of making a Firefly.

Probe Droid (studio scale - shipped to happy friend in the UK in finished modules):
P1050898.jpg

Radiant VII (shipped to a happy friend in the US):
P1050945.jpg

So next time you try to shoot a fellow model maker down, do a little research. Also might be a good idea to keep that in mind and even do some research on the models you make.

I look forward to seeing more of your work!

Try as we might I am afraid the Net is RIFE with wanna'
be's and delusional model makers that believe they
are MORE then what they actually are... :unsure

YOU Sir most assuredly are NOT someone that
suffers from THAT affliction !

I have seen your works first hand and
they are TOP NOTCH ! Without question !

{ Photos and all prove that.. } :love

So keep up the great work and DEFINITELY looking
forward to what you will be bringing to the 'Fest !

:thumbsup

Oh, and to paraphrase the Immortal Bard on some
" other's " abilities....

Some modelers are but walking shadows, poor players
that struts and frets his hour upon the stage
And then is heard no more:

it is a tale told by an IDIOT,

full of sound and fury ,

Signifying nothing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Heya Kip, no worries :)
I'm flattered people like the stuff I'm compelled to make. Doubly so when it's someone like you, who can make models and castings better than anyone I know. Also, I rolled at the quote you chose, as it cross-references the 'ol Venture Bros!

"It was all sound and fury, signifying nothing."
- The Monarch, unsuccessfully trying to use a public toilet

Liking and making this stuff is partially an enthusaistic passion, and partially a mental illness, heh.

MaK model I am designing (only work on it when I feel inspired):
P1030001.jpg

Hi Moffeaton,

This MaK model has a beautiful sense of scale! (y)thumbsup

I know you didn't intend for this thread to go there, but thanks for sharing what's on your bench. That's an amazing amount of work.

-DM

Lets see a picture of your mockup.
It'll be something if you can build it.
Get sanding.

Ron, I don't want to see you crying wolf about baiting any time soon if you can't keep from doing it yourself. It isn't just your detractors who need to behave themselves.

..... But to bring this thread back on topic, can't wait to see your mockup of the overall shape of the blimp!!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back