1/2 studio scale Offworld Blimp - DONE!!

Re: 1/2 studio scale Offworld Blimp - MOVING AHEAD!

I am too! Here's a small "study model" - we're REALLY close!

L1010707.jpg

L1010709.jpg

So if I offered a 8"-ish static blimp kit (let's say it's 1/144th, maybe?) would you guys want that, too? No electronics of course - probably would just offer a decal for screens, etc...

i would hell yeah

I'd be in for a 8-incher ... no double entendre intended. :lol

How big is your mini blimp?

Maybe you'd like to choose a scale (for the minis) equal to that of the most prevalent or smallest rooftop spinners? Or would that still be over 8"?

-Mike J.

I have no idea about the true scale of the thing, to be honest! I'll have to ask around - maybe there's a consensus?

Actually a thought occurs - the gondola on the original config is a 1/35th cab... which makes the Studio Scale model 1/35th.

Technically my model will be close to 1/72nd.... so a 10" blimp would be 1/144th scale (which is very common).

So I'm gonna go with 10"!

Last edited:

Wow! Jason lookin' cool!! :eek
I've been so out a the loop on this.
who "grew" the test piece for you was it PCS?

M

Weird... I could have sworn I posted a comment to this thread yesterday, but I can't find it now. :confused

My comment was simply that I hadn't realized the basic form of the blimp looked so organic.

Actually... it's a bit erotic-looking.

Very nice work, Jason! This project is now exciting in more ways than one! :p

Mystery solved. The comment I thought I posted here was actually posted to propsummit. :$

HAH!!

I step away for a little while and look what happens!!

It's great to see some forward movement on this bird!

Just make sure to make note here when you post the "interest" post in the JY... I try to avoid that branch lately, hehe!

I leave for Japan in less than a month, so I'm busy with other stuff at the moment. However, I'm meeting with a Japanese Blade Runner collector who is going to help me out with some... shall we say... unpublished materials ;)

I too am watching this with GREAT interest! This is one of those props that's so iconic when you see it, but, when seen in the film, you almost forget about it with all of the other things going on.

Great concept and I'm liking where this is heading!

Waiting for the holidays to blow over, then I'll have to raise the money in the new year to get the buck grown for vacuum forming. The digital file is almost ready to go, I believe.

Turns out, the blimp form seems to be the same form on the top and bottom, with an additional shell that sockets into the top. On the original it acts as a cap/hatch for the electronics/fiber optics/mount rig. So I anticipate three main pieces to be vacced - top, bottom, top shell. Seam along the waist/equator.

Will work on the file for photoetching soon, too.

Sorry this is taking so bloody long - LOTS of intrepretation/guesswork with the limited reference available, and everyone has their own schedules/workloads to consider.

Looking forward to seeing the finished project, awesome work so far.

Sorry this is taking so bloody long - LOTS of intrepretation/guesswork with the limited reference available, and everyone has their own schedules/workloads to consider.

No need to apologize. That's a lot of work. :thumbsup

-DM

Paul Prischman passed away last month. He seemed to be a consummate film fan and I wish I could have met him and talked about Blade Runner. And yeah, that's a great pic - Paul was a lucky fella to get so close to the Blimp of Mystery™.

Still waiting on the 3D guy.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back