1/2 studio scale Offworld Blimp - DONE!!

Re: 1/2 studio scale Offworld Blimp - MOVING AHEAD!

Thanks!
Oh - and we need to meet up in November, too!!!! This time we're staying in Shinjuku.

VERY nice work... and great to see some new progress on this ambitious, exciting project!

Thanks for the update. Looking forward to more progress! :thumbsup

So please don't post "I'm IN!!!" here

I'm IN... love with this project, that is. I have this vision of hanging one of these over my bed and drifting off to sleep while looking up at the blimp overhead... :love

we need to meet up in November, too!!!! This time we're staying in Shinjuku.

Looking forward to it! :D :thumbsup

Wow Jason! Thanks for sharing the build and kit offer! I've always loved the blimp.

It's interesting to see how well the 3-D version captured all of the unusual shapes going on in the blimp. It seems it's all there.

Jason, I think this is awesome! Sorry if this has already been mentioned but did you consider vac forming 2 halves? If the main body is symetrical, you could probably get away with a one half mold (for cost savings), then vac 2 parts....and bond them together. Some sort of clasps could also allow this thing to open like a trunk for interior access. Just a thought. :)

Dave

That's great to hear it looks good so far! It's not all there yet - but it is pretty freakin' cool to see come alive!!!!

I think we ruled out vaccing because the shapes were too hard to pull off, but I'll ask my molding and casting guys again!

Yep! There are two versions - the first version Bill George made had three screens (third being on the bottom), ducted fan thrusters, a bigger/crazier gantry gondola deelie, and no antenna clusters around the "equator/waistline", and then Ridley Scott asked that it be modified to what you see on the screen.... being a greedy weirdo, I want to do both versions, lol!

The "pre-pro" version would have static screens, with the video screens used in the "as seen on screen" version.

We also plan to offer a smaller-scale resin kit/desktop model. Since the main form is probably going to be grown from the 3d file (which feels like cheating, wheee!) it's a push of a button to make a baby one - something like 6" at, what, 1/144 or 1/350th or so? I haven't done the math, but if we grow a baby one to check the dims in real life, might as well detail it up and make castings! That one will probably be open ended and handled through someone other than myself :)

Oh man, above the bed? Such a fun idea. My wife might just draw the line at that one though, haha.

My plan is to take the static one to work, to tower over our desks/be visible through the clerestory windows in the main breezeway. Something to make our research scientists roll their eyes ;)

The video screen version would probably just literally confuse the people at work. Heh. I had my studio scale Y-Wing on display there for a while, and it was hilarious explaining that I MADE the thing. I can't imagine having to tell the "I MADE it" story a thousand times to bean counters, scientists, and temps. The IT and graphics people "get" it, but everyone else is just .... lost when you start talking about the hobby. No one can believe people can "make" or "paint" things any more. It's really sad, but I digress!

Blimp!

This would be perfect for subliminal messaging at work.

"Sorry Bob about your early retirement."

Maybe even flash a fake password like it was a mistake.

So the project keeps getting better. :lol

I bet if you were selling 'desktop' mini ones at Wondefest, you'd get eaten alive. :D

-Mike J.

Probably ;)

So we're getting closer!

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

Re: 1/2 studio scale Offworld Blimp

Finally some traction!

I can move ahead with this now in earnest, now that I have the data coming together. This is the craziness I've been hoping to make sense of...

blimpy.jpg

Original draft:

form.jpg

New 3D work:

blimp_body_pic_1.jpg

blimp_body_pic_2.jpg

blimp_body_pic_3.jpg

The top "shell" will be added to the 3D form, which is like a weird turtle shell that hides the access area on the original. It changes the profile from the side, bringing it in line with the weird kinda asymmetrical shape it possesses.

Lots of tweaking to do still - but PROGRESS IS BEING MADE!

Video that will load into the LCD screens, down the road!

http://www.roboterkampf.com/images/prop/blimp/blimp.MOV

I see the girl you had in your avatar NOW!!!!:lol

From doing the Mak subjects your well suited for this Jason, those shapes should be right up your ally!!

Not an easy shape and you seem to have nailed it Jason, you sure have some 3D skills ! :thumbsup

Not me, sadly - I'm just throwing money at a guy to get this done, since it was the only way!

My time to shine will be soon enough, lol.

Just want to say that I like this more than the spinners. And I'm a Syd Mead fan. The blimp is the coolest model in the movie! Again, I'm very glad you're doing it!

I am too! Here's a small "study model" - we're REALLY close!

L1010707.jpg

L1010709.jpg

So if I offered a 8"-ish static blimp kit (let's say it's 1/144th, maybe?) would you guys want that, too? No electronics of course - probably would just offer a decal for screens, etc...

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back