1/2 studio scale Offworld Blimp - DONE!!

Re: 1/2 studio scale Offworld Blimp

OK, that's a switch. Usually, they are the ones dumping the stuff.

Gene

Again, iirc, back in the day it somehow ended up in someone else's possession - which is how it ended up in an auction. Someone at WB realized the value of having it back "home" - and they were the purchasers at the auction. A friend told me WB brought it out of storage for the Paul's Brain Trust photo lined to earlier.

post-32-1176787568.jpg

Last edited:

I love that pic, Willie... if someone has that auction catalog from 1998, I'd love to get a larger scan of that! It's exactly the kind of shot I need to see bigger :p

I'm sure the original photo was hi-res - have you tried contacting the auction house?

Also remember that it's seen in the background in some of the new interviews on the DBR set.... unless it's a replica in the background.....??

At the moment I am waiting for the guy who did the 3d model to send me the data I need to have the ribs lasercut. Just waiting on that....

Yep! If my "3d" comment confused ya, what I meant to say was "the talented fella who extrapolated the sparse ref out there to recreate what looks like the correct shape of the original, but done in the computer this time" ....

Last edited:

I see....so when do you plan on building this baby?I've only see it in the Cinefex magazine aside from the film.

I'll start as soon as I get the cutter data.

I wanted to have it underway by now, so I could have something to show off for Wonderfest, but it's looking like that might be a stretch.

Sigh.

Don't rush it,but I know you a super tallented and once you get working...things I xpect will come together quickly?

Hi Jason,

If there's anything I can do to help (ie: 3D related)
Let me know....

This is going to be one really cool build!

Still waiting for the 3d data.

I think at this point I need to find a new guy - anyone here able to render the main blimp form for me, in such a way that you can generate ship-like ribbing? cross-section it every inch - with the main shape being 24 inches from fore to aft. That's all I need to really get going - everything else I have gathered/prepped is gathering dust and it's frustrating as hell... I want to finesse the form first because there's a lot of subtle stuff in the blimp's form that I'd like to capture.

Finally some traction!

I can move ahead with this now in earnest, now that I have the data coming together. This is the craziness I've been hoping to make sense of...

blimpy.jpg

Original draft:

form.jpg

New 3D work:

blimp_body_pic_1.jpg

blimp_body_pic_2.jpg

blimp_body_pic_3.jpg

The top "shell" will be added to the 3D form, which is like a weird turtle shell that hides the access area on the original. It changes the profile from the side, bringing it in line with the weird kinda asymmetrical shape it possesses.

Lots of tweaking to do still - but PROGRESS IS BEING MADE!

Video that will load into the LCD screens, down the road!

http://www.roboterkampf.com/images/prop/blimp/blimp.MOV

Re: 1/2 studio scale Offworld Blimp - MOVING AHEAD!

VERY nice work... and great to see some new progress on this ambitious, exciting project!

Thanks for the update. Looking forward to more progress! :thumbsup

Oh - in case there's a question, I plan to start an interest thread soon on this, once we firm up the dimensions.

The plan is to offer a 1/2 scale (24") rotocast blimp form AT COST, because I really just want to cover the molds/materials and get two forms into my hands to make both versions of the blimp. No idea on price, that will come with the interest thread. I also will do a run of photoetch for the gondola/gantry/antennas/etc, so that too will be made available, as well as the "recipe" for 1/2 studio scale donor kits (it's nice that the gondola used a 1/35th kit that has a 1/72nd equivalent!).

We'll also make available decals of all of the graphics seen plastered on the blimp...

Finally, you will need to buy your own LCD screens for this - the 10.whatever inch screens (non-letterbox ratio) that play video files work perfectly for 24" blimp forms, and I will also provide you with the mpeg file of the offworld ad, if you are a builder in this project, in a size that is ready to load onto your screens. I got mine off of eBay for $60 a pop, and they have stereo speakers, lol - so two speakers will blare the ad narration, and the other two will have a rumble/horn sound for the proper ambiance.

CAVEAT - this will not be 100% accurate. I never did get a chance to get myself or someone else in front of the miniature as it exists today to completely document the form/details. There will be some guess work. But every honest effort has been made to get this as close to perfect/ugly as possible, and hell, I'm even going back to Japan in November and have set aside an afternoon to hook up with a fella who has uncut PE sheets from the production, so I can scan/scale them down!

So please don't post "I'm IN!!!" here - I just wanted to answer that question a few of you might have about it being a kit. Yes, a starter kit... ;)

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back