1/2 studio scale Offworld Blimp - DONE!!

Re: 1/2 studio scale Offworld Blimp

Nope. I am preparing for Wonderfest, and I am doing things in the order they are in the queue. As a happy by-product, I might be getting more reference, so I'm waiting patiently for that to (hopefully) materialize as I slog through the other stuff ;)

If I were to go full tilt on this right now, I'd still be making about 40% of the detailed parts of the pattern up... I'd like to get that percentage down. The overall shape is good, but hey - the antennas and the gondolas are full of mystery!!

Damn sexy elusive mystery!!!

Just a friendly bump to make sure it stays in the collective conscience... :)

Yep - cleaning the studio this week in preparation for the blimp and a couple other things :)

I TRASHED it this past month, lol...

I watch this thread with great anticipation
It's a great idea for a project, and from what I can see you will do it justice

Hehe finally got that video to load... not sure what was going on there.

Ya just know I have to ask... any updates??

I am waiting on the possibility of more reference, which would blow this thing into the stratosphere of accuracy! The blimp is kind of still accessible, and I have a buddy that *might* be getting an audience with it. Cross your fingers!!

Every time I'm about to dig in, another picture surfaces and it gives me a more accurate direction, so until I hear whether this is a "go" or not, I'm on hold. But regardless, this month is eaten up with doing a TNG prop restoration job for someone, so that takes the front seat. Paramount/the shipping company trashed this thing, so I am knee deep in a jigsaw puzzle!!

I am DYING to get started... but there is a chance I can get an audience with the REAL one... so I'm holding tight, fingers and toes crossed.

Light a votive candle for me!!!

I quickly read this thread looking for mention of where the original model currently resides, but did not see anything...

Roughly ten years ago I visited the Warner Brothers prop museum while on their studio tour and I'm nearly positive the blimp was there. Regrettably, they do not allow photography.

I do believe there was a brochure that had a small photo of the blimp. I'll have to check to see if I still have a copy.

Jason, you may already know all this...

Yep, it's in storage at the moment, and not actually on display now.

Anybody know the details of the auction? I thought this came up for auction about 10 years ago. Was Warners' selling it (unlikely)? Did Warners' buy it (doubtful)?

I knew they had it because it was being used as a backdrop for some of the interviews on the most recent DVD. So how did they get it?

I was on the Warners' lot last week and stuck my head in the museum they have. Not bad for a corporate museum that is not widely advertised (like Universal). And I can attest to the security there. No way I was going to be able to take pictures in there. The blimp was not on display, but there were a numbrer of costumes from BATMAN, 300, as well as a small Tumbler model, and the 4' Firefox miniature and Gant's helmet.

Gene

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back