1:6 Vader Project & Digital Scan project

Oh crap. Forgot to update that post. The dream IS going to happen. :cheers

Btw: the modeler, blipper, working on the chest armor and bells have gone AWOL. Haven't heard from him since before New Years. Just hope he's okay.

that stinks. Any plans on redoing the helmet once the EFX version is available? Can't wait to see this project get completed. I'm on board.

cool, just thought I'd ask. Can't wait to see a final version, especially after receiving your beautifully done SFS Stormtrooper!!! :thumbsup

Well, my scanning is nowhere near the quality of the SFS scan, which is why there is need of modelers refining my scans. Basically making whole new 3D models based on the shape of the scans, whereas professional scans would need less work by a modeler and could essentially go straight to printing. But for a affordable home-based option... it's beyond what I could have thought possible before I found David Laserscanner - which can equal the professional equipment if you have technical skills to build a stepper motor.

Well, my scanning is nowhere near the quality of the SFS scan, which is why there is need of modelers refining my scans. Basically making whole new 3D models based on the shape of the scans, whereas professional scans would need less work by a modeler and could essentially go straight to printing. But for a affordable home-based option... it's beyond what I could have thought possible before I found David Laserscanner - which can equal the professional equipment if you have technical skills to build a stepper motor.

I don't even know what you just said. :)

Oh... yeah... it's... technical... which... I'm... not...

Oh hell. Can't wait until I can show off the work the modelers have done. Though, seeing as blipper has been gone for so long, I may have to find a way to do the chest armor another way. Just hope he's all right.

The work the other two are doing is just phenomenal...

hi everyone,im new here,and i am 'hurricane' from ssf.Must say most intrigued by this thread and have monitored it for a while, was suggested by a friend of mine a fellow 501st member.Have to admit i was cheeky and did copy a photo of one of the scans and have referred to it extensively whilst completely reworking the helmets i make.As mentioned earlier i did indeed originally use hasbro domes mated to kaiyodo masks. The 'new' ones ive recently casted are not the same, but Ive strived to get screen accuracy now,but because of peoples requirments all three versions, ANH/ESB/Jedi have full reveal detailing to the crown /brow.
i also used my own fullsize 20th century fox ESB helmet for measurements etc,hundreds of prop reference photos,your computer scans and.photos of actual brow detailing parts, turned into photo etching patterns,and so with internal reveal parts. Hopefully now they are far supperior to the ealier ones i made.They now have the true character of the original props( the asymetry,'wonkyness'etc)and incorporate over 170 individual parts throughout the reveal sections/neck brace and mask..i havent posted on ssf freaks for a few months now due to family health issues and now worryingly my own :unsure.possible bladder cancer,(i have surgery on the 4th of may.:confused)
I look forward with great interest to how your project proceeds ,and offer any help i may humbly be able to offer.

I plan to directly contact the admin of sideshow freaks with scans of my hospital paper work ,so they may reassure those still waiting for the figures i make,that the hold up is genuine.Tho their figures are alot closer to completion than they know,nor do they know of just how much the detailing has advanced.

Last edited:
Hello Hurricane, welcome to therpf. I've seen your custom Vaders over on the sideshow forums for some time and have always been impressed.
Sorry to hear about your health, I hope it's not cancer but if it is, I hope that they're getting to it in time.
The freaks are fairly understanding.. we all know you aren't another Chris Howes (or however it's spelled).

I am stoked that you chose to make your first post in my thread. I was always amazed by your builds. Really hope you'll show off your new versions.

Sorry to hear about the health issues. Hope it's something that can be dealt with and have you restored to full health again.

Wow! Just checked out your work over at SSF's Hurricane! Awesome work. Sorry to hear about your heath. Hope all goes well.

TMG - can't wait to see your finished piece. I know you've been working hard and your progress is amazing also. Keep up the great work.

Oh, I'm not doing much work anymore. All the work is done now by the great modelers and I'm as excited as you all to see their progress with the models made from my scans.

C.

Had a dream, AND IT'S GOING TO BE.

Helmets.png
Wow ! I would love to have one of those in 1/6 scale. I have a couple of the Sideshow figures and have never really liked the helmets. IF it were possible I would love to change that and have some accuaret looking figures . Great work Carsten !

I have had my op now a TURT procedure (transurethral resection of tumor) and am recovering plus walking like John Wayne. So serious vader works imminent plus photos here of various bits. Still very keen to see the results of the scanned sculpts :thumbsup

Thanks.

Unfortunately... I'm a perfectionist, so all I'm seeing are the flaws and what could have been done better. I have no technical skills, which put a limit to how clean and sharp the scans got. The tech is capable of creating as sharp and clean scans as the SFS scan, with just a little more work. I made due with what I was able to figure out by myself, but things could have been perfect - I just didn't have the skills or the funds to do it... and when it got to where it was possible... my computer is acting up... so back to the funds issue.

However, with the work done by the modelers, the pieces will be pretty snassy for that scale - previously unseen accuracy.

It ended up as:

trying to get the accurate shapes - at least as accurate as my scanning ability allowed - minus many of the finer details (possible)

or,

getting everything perfect, shape-wise and with ALL details (impossible).

I chose the possible option and still dream of the impossible option. I can't help it. I'm a perfectionist.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back