1:6 Vader Project & Digital Scan project

Not really an update, but thought it could be funny to show you guys what it is I'm working with to make these. This image shows the rough slices lined up together to form the full 3D shape prior to any trimming, fine alignment and eventual merging.

Enjoy:
EDIT: Picture link removed because of the new PhotoBucket.

Which in turn can turn into something like this when fused. Even though it's rough... it's pretty decent.

Here's the cleaned up armor:

But... when fusing that one it is clear that I didn't trim and align things properly...

so... I'll probably have to potentially redo the trimming and alignment... but I may be in for a new scan altogether.

Last edited:
It's funny how the mind tends to percieve something as symmetrical even though it's apparently not.
You've done some very good work there and looking at that image, I see things I would probably have never seen on a color (or B&W for that matter) photograph. :thumbsup
I've been working on a couple of 1:6th Vaders off and on for a while now so I'm interested in seeing how this turns out.
One of my Vaders has the Sideshow head and armor, the other has the Tomy reveal helmet with the Hasbro dome and armor.

I just need to get off my lazy butt and make myself a decent chestbox or two.

I just absolutely hate sculpting boots. There's about nothing I hate more. The sculpey is soft and pliable and it just loves to squash and distort where I've already sculpted, when I'm working on another section of the boot. Slowly working my way to finishing the sole. Have the real boots been identified - I know some have come close - but it'd be interesting to add a pattern underneath the sole to make this distinctive.

Giving it the leather finish is gonna be interesting without ruining all the stitchwork... so... I guess I should do the surface detail prior to the stitching.

As a guide I drew the shape of the Kaiyodo boots as well as the Sideshow boots - one undersized, the other oversized and shaped strangely, so I drew my own sole shape from those, sorta in between and different and am slowly working my way up, but gonna finish the sole first and all the detailing there before tackling the rest of the boot.

Did I mention that I hate sculpting boots? At least there are no buckles or any other such things, like with the Terminator boots.

As I mentioned, I'm working on the boots. It's not much yet, but it's progress. The second picture is showing the WIP with the Sideshow shins, just for kicks.

Last edited:
This project blows me away man. I think its one of the cooler figure projects ever!

LOL about hating to sculp boots. I think Vaders boots look difficult to shape, they look rather soft and shapeless, not like the classic stiff german riding boots Han (and I ;)) use.

Keep up the good work!

Yeah, it's pretty intriguing and I can't believe the generosity I've experienced from several people regarding this project. Not something I would have imagined being possible even just a few years ago... and let alone that I was the one who was gonna actually do it. I'd so wanted one of the established companies to do this... but it didn't seem to happen... and the talent I've been exposed to... well... I feel humbled.

No, didn't see that. Pretty cool. The helmet's gotta go, though. And aren't Kotobukiya usually doing 1/7 scale?

EDIT: having looked into this, if it is part of the new Saga Collection, then it's 1/10 scale. :cry

Last edited:
We've got shins. Took approximately 5 hours to scan, align and merge into what you see here. This is just a rough basic shape scan. In order for better shapes and details I will do some scanning closer to the object, as this was done with the camera about 1 meter away. It works better this way to get the shape down first before going into detail shots.

Last edited:
And here I thought I was gonna have a hell of a time cleaning up the files for the fuse, but turns out it fused BEAUTIFULLY from the rough slices - all I have to clean up before fusing the files again tomorrow are the excess areas that isn't the bell, such as the box and the rod support I used to keep the bell upright.

I did NOT expect this result.

C.

EDIT: Looking at this I'm just flabbergasted... to think it took twice the time to do the previous bell attempt and three/four times the length to then cut, trim, align and fuse the slices... and getting a hack-job of a result and then to see this... without trimming, just quickly aligning, fine tuning and then fusing - the scan took about 3½ hours this time... also because there was an issue right in the middle I had to figure out... but the aligning and eventually fusing took less than ½ an hour... and LOOK at that result!?!! OMFG... if only all my scanning was this smooth. YIKES.

Surprising considering THIS is how it looked just moments before being fused:

Last edited:
Much more proportioned bells.

I'm really pleased with how the left one turned out as well.

Last edited:
It has been decided to re-scan the dome. The alignment of the first attempt was pretty decent, but not perfect, and for some reason it cannot get more accurate with the way I scanned the piece back then, so a new, better scan is needed.

I'll try doing it as I did the shins - far away for the basic shape and then closer for the details. Gonna be interesting to see if it can be improved.

The body sculpt is coming along. The soles on the boots are nearly done and I think I'll be able to bake them soon.

Looking forward to be able to show you more.

WOW... what a difference. Guess that proves pretty convincingly that it's a waste of time doing a basic shape scan from further away. Just look at that detail scan in comparison. And these are just the rough fused versions. can only imagine that the trimmed and cleaned up version will be even better.

Last edited:
Anyone know someone who had done or can easily do an accurate ANH/ESB lightsaber handle in 3D that can be used for the project? I've been preoccupied with all the other parts and details and nearly completely forgot about this. I had found a digital model somewhere that I thought looked pretty good, but was told it really wasn't accurate at all, so I'm trying to see if there is one who has made one that he'd be interested in seeing printed with this project.

this is a really cool project!! I can't wait until it's finished. Any chance of making a 1:4 version for the Diamond Selects?

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back