1:6 Vader Project & Digital Scan project

Re: 1:6 Vader Helmet Sculpt Needed (Kaiyodo/Screamin')

Well... the helmet is pretty much being worked on... now I need help on the chest and belt boxes...

Spent lots of time scouring through model train accessories, thinking that would be the best place to search for square transparent plastic pieces that could be used for the belt box lights, as well as bulbs for the red lights... and the squares on the chest boxes... but it is nearly impossible to find anything as there are rarely any pictures and the descriptions are poor... so unless one really knows what he's looking for... it's a wild goose chase. Damn it's just so frustrating... :confused

I once had the notion to do a decent 1/6th scale ANH vader figure. I finally decided to basically create the chestbox and belt out of plastic, create rods using tiny plastic coated wire......cut out the parts of the plastic you don't need to create the raised sections of the rods. (worked like a charm) and then sculpt and mould the other detail parts. Create a working proto out of the solid plastic etc.... Then mould the chestbox and belt boxes. Pour them in solid clear resin. Use mask all the unlighted parts with first silver paint and then flat black paint. Use tamiya transparent colors for the lenses of the various lighted parts. Then all you have to do is stick one led on the back of the boxes and voila!!! instant mini lighted accessories.

Hope that helps. You won't believe the quality of the rods you'll achieve if you use my wire idea. :) I've got a pic of the chestbox rods somewhere. If I find it, I'll post the results.

Dave :)

I once had the notion to do a decent 1/6th scale ANH vader figure. I finally decided to basically create the chestbox and belt out of plastic, create rods using tiny plastic coated wire......cut out the parts of the plastic you don't need to create the raised sections of the rods. (worked like a charm) and then sculpt and mould the other detail parts. Create a working proto out of the solid plastic etc.... Then mould the chestbox and belt boxes. Pour them in solid clear resin. Use mask all the unlighted parts with first silver paint and then flat black paint. Use tamiya transparent colors for the lenses of the various lighted parts. Then all you have to do is stick one led on the back of the boxes and voila!!! instant mini lighted accessories.
Hope that helps. You won't believe the quality of the rods you'll achieve if you use my wire idea. :) I've got a pic of the chestbox rods somewhere. If I find it, I'll post the results.
Dave :)
Heh... sounds really cool... and looking forward to seeing it if you find the picture. Problem is I have no molding and casting skills what-so-ever and no space to do such things.

Hobbytown carries an intro moulding casting kit that takes up very little space. The product even directs you to a website that shows you how to do each process step by step. :)

Dave

Hobbytown carries an intro moulding casting kit that takes up very little space. The product even directs you to a website that shows you how to do each process step by step. :)
Dave
Hmm... don't have anything like that where I live. I checked their website, but I must be an ass, 'cause I can't find much. Do you know if it gives out any odors that may be toxic?

So what is Hurricane using for his helmets? I know he's in high demand over at the Sideshow Freaks board for his custom jobs. And a lot of those guys and gals over there are quite happy with Medicom's versions of RotJ and RotS Vader with a few slight modifications.

So what is Hurricane using for his helmets? I know he's in high demand over at the Sideshow Freaks board for his custom jobs. And a lot of those guys and gals over there are quite happy with Medicom's versions of RotJ and RotS Vader with a few slight modifications.
He's using a Hasbro plastic dome mated with the Kaiyodo face, iirc. Looks great, but not accurate enough for what I want.

You can never get it accurate enough by using sourced parts and pieces... it has to be a nearly complete scratch built - especially the face and chest- and belt boxes. Some may go even further than me and do the crooked belt buckle as well. I'm simply sticking with what I can do and what I can get others to do... as long as it is accurate.

Last edited:

Well, this is as far as I came with the face sculpt.
VaderHelmet-FaceProject-04-001.jpg

Problem is that it dried out, so it is nearly impossible to work with now, so I'll have to start over again. And this time I'll probably use sculpey firm grey as the regular super sculpey flesh is too soft and the color is a ***** to work it as it is too translucent - you can't see the real surface shape until you bake it, which is, with something this small and intricate, not very practical.

The dome work was a failure, but I did learn a few things to improve a future sculpt. So not a total loss.

For the chest and belt boxes I'm really beginning to feel that I need to find someone who can do it for me... too many cuts on hands and fingers for it to be fun... but more on that later.

It will be a while before I get to my Kaiyodo, but I do plan on swapping out the dome for the old MPC vader dome. Here are a few comparison pics.

my.php

my.php

Not 100% accurate but it's the same size and made out of plastic so it won't warp.

Yeah... been thinking about that... or possibly one of the Hasbro domes... but even if I get these cheap the shipping costs will kill some of the cheapness. And it's a lot of money just to get a small plastic dome...

Okay... that does it... no more cut fingertips and blood everywhere... and PAIN... :angry

I'm looking for someone who can make 6 movie specific pieces for me. I have no clue what the best way to do these is, which is why I haven't been able to make them myself and why I can't specifically ask what kind of craftsman I'm looking for - a sculptor or a styrene constructor or whatever way is best. I need someone to do the chest boxes and the belt boxes for me, in a way so that it's possible to add a lighting feature to the pieces later when attaching them to and assembling and finishing the kits.

That's 6 small pieces in sixth scale of the originals - 3 pieces for each figure: 2 identical sized chestboxes with different details + 4 nearly identical sized belt boxes, a left and a right, with different details.

in case anyone was wondering:
Vader-ChestBoxBelt.jpg

I'm searching for who has the best way to do this the most accurately in sixth scale. I have detailed pictures of the various parts, plus some measurements of some of the parts to help with the scaling + I can send the Kaiyodo parts that are nearly accurate, but for some odd design choice ended up not being 100%.

I wish someone can help me out.

(I just wish they'd released the Marmit)

For the rest of the project, here's the current amount of work done so far in the re-shaping department. The one on the left is ANH and right is ESB. As you can probably see, the ANH needed a lot of trimming and re-positioning, whereas the ESB is left pretty much "as is".
VaderBodyProject-04-001.jpg

The Shoulder armor has to have parts resculpted to make it more accurate and I basically have to resculpt most of the arms to get into the poses I want - see below. Otherwise, the project is going great.

And just to bore you with more pictures, then I found two that show the poses I'm going for:
Vader-2.jpg

Re: 1:6 Kaiyodo Vader Project

YAY... think I found someone to do the chest and belt boxes. In fact... may have found two... decisions, decisions... but regardless, I think the search for those parts are over... so on to the next great thing... my helmet sculpt. Finally got word that the pieces I need will be at the store tomorrow, so off I'll go to pick them up and finally be able to continue with the sculpt.

So all is good. :lol

Did some work on the ANH version chest armor, to see how it'd look. Needs more work, but will probably have to be removed and then with sculpey firm instead as the sculpey flesh is just too soft.

Cheers.

VaderBodyProject-05-001.jpg

Just for fun I tried putting the pieces together. Enjoy.

EDIT: Picture link removed because of the new PhotoBucket.

Last edited:

Here's a new update. The model is nearly finished now. Only missing the upper inner eye socket on the left eye (right in picture) and a filling of a hole on the brow... and then it's pretty much done and I hope the guy I have cleaning this up will be able to use this file, as the other was apparently impossible to work with.

Along with an old preview picture of the whole project:
(Facemask and dome in this picture are the older models, so not up to date. You can't see it as much in the picture, but there is a lot of excess junk on the surfaces that aren't in the new ones.)

Last edited:
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back