Revisiting the Training Remote

Re: Build Diary: Revisiting the Jedi Training Remote

The AMT Kenworth has the CORRECT rims. I have all the correct parts except one. I have the Hasegawa sherman tank wheel, but not the other wheel part that goes around the rims. Don't know what kit that came from. Anyone know?

The AMT Kenworth has the CORRECT rims. I have all the correct parts except one. I have the Hasegawa sherman tank wheel, but not the other wheel part that goes around the rims. Don't know what kit that came from. Anyone know?

Yes, those wheels you speak of are from a Airfix 1/72 Panzer IV1. They have little posts that stick out, but on the original most of them have broken off over the years.

The Kenworth T600A appears to have the correct rims... but they are not quite right. We will really be picking at details here on this. Sure you get some with lugs and some without, but if you have an old kit you will notice that just the lug detail has been modified. This is very difficult to illustrate, I'll have some photos for you tomorrow.

The real trick is to find one Truck kit that has all the necessary rims and axel brackets.

Wooo 500 posts!

I mean 501.

Okay make that the Airfix Panzer IV. I dunno how that extra 1 got in there. Here they are with primer:
panzerIV.jpg

Does anyone know which AMT Semi kit definitely has the right rims? I have a couple semis but none have the right rims. I take that back - one of the kits I have should have the right rims, but I can't find them. I also cannot find my Tamiya 1:12 Matra rims for my TIE Fighter - thinking they are lost for good.

I need to get the Titan 90. Does that have the correct rims?

Flint,
I got a Peterbilt Wrecker a while back and I'm sure those rims looked like the right ones. I haven't pulled out the parts and compared them directly with pics of the real prop though.

On another note, does anyone know which of the AMT trucks definitely has the U shaped suspension bits (axle bracket) that go next to the Hasegawa tank wheels? That is apart from the kenworth T-600!

Cheers, JT

Flint,
I got a Peterbilt Wrecker a while back and I'm sure those rims looked like the right ones. I haven't pulled out the parts and compared them directly with pics of the real prop though.

On another note, does anyone know which of the AMT trucks definitely has the U shaped suspension bits (axle bracket) that go next to the Hasegawa tank wheels? That is apart from the kenworth T-600!

Cheers, JT

I have the Peterbilt Wrecker as well, and from the instructions the wheels look like they might be the right ones. However, can't find the wheels in my bins.

Flint,

Cheers, JT

The AMT " MOVIN ON" truck kit has the U shaped pieces.

I had a question. Anyone planning on making a vaccuformed copy of the sphere's for the styrene around the rims? I'd be interested. I want this to be as close to the REAL DEAL as possible.:cool

Yes, those wheels you speak of are from a Airfix 1/72 Panzer IV1. They have little posts that stick out, but on the original most of them have broken off over the years.

The Kenworth T600A appears to have the correct rims... but they are not quite right. We will really be picking at details here on this. Sure you get some with lugs and some without, but if you have an old kit you will notice that just the lug detail has been modified. This is very difficult to illustrate, I'll have some photos for you tomorrow.

The real trick is to find one Truck kit that has all the necessary rims and axel brackets.

I forgot to thank you. That was the last kit on my list. I just got one off EBAY. Now I'll have all the original kits used to build this baby.:love

I forgot to thank you. That was the last kit on my list. I just got one off EBAY. Now I'll have all the original kits used to build this baby.:love

Congrats sir! It will be a race to the finish!:lol Hopefully I won't let this project go longer than one year. I've got lots of misc castings shoot me a PM if you need something specific.

EDIT: used the Midnight Express for the rims. Here's a comparison of the lugs next to an MPC Y I whipped up to get me back in the swing of things:
lugcomparison.jpg

I wish I could vac form, but honestly the styrene is so thin I doubt anyone would know the difference as long as you nail the shape. Just coax them concave first but make sure you sand the back for maximum glue adhesion.

Last edited:

I had a question. Anyone planning on making a vaccuformed copy of the sphere's for the styrene around the rims? I'd be interested. I want this to be as close to the REAL DEAL as possible.:cool

Oooo, I'd be in for some.

I'm in the middle of building this as well. Special shout out to Frank for the inspiration and knowledge on this baby. I vac formed some styrene around the hemisphere for the round bits around the rims. It's not as hard as you think, and if you're careful you can cut the necessary 8 discs from one pull. A circle cutter is a must! My first pull was too thin when all was said and done, so I think that I'll make another with slightly thicker styrene. I thought I had the right rims, but after closer inspection they are a little off. Fee-bay here I come!

Derek

Oooo, I'd be in for some.
Maybe the next go round boys, unless someone wants to jump on that.:thumbsup
I have dreams of doing another in gloss white using the Tamiya Panther bits instead. Sort of an alternate version maybe with different truck rims too.

I'm in the middle of building this as well. Special shout out to Frank for the inspiration and knowledge on this baby. I vac formed some styrene around the hemisphere for the round bits around the rims. It's not as hard as you think, and if you're careful you can cut the necessary 8 discs from one pull. A circle cutter is a must! My first pull was too thin when all was said and done, so I think that I'll make another with slightly thicker styrene. I thought I had the right rims, but after closer inspection they are a little off. Fee-bay here I come!

Derek

Whoa! Yeah that was fast. Can I get one of those?:lol

does the aforementioned kit have to be the "movin' on" version, or can the regular w-925 kit do the trick?

thanks

Derek

I don't own a vacumm-forming machine or anything, so if you were to offer this I'm sure others as well as myself would be VERY INTERESTED.:cool

Scott

Thank You Sir! One final question! Does one AMT Kenworth T600A Have all the wheel rims needed?

Last edited:

how does one accomplish the finishing WITH the scotch-lright already in place? i can understand stuffing the cupolas, but the tape is FLAT behind the rims, with several holes in to rim to mask.

my guess is that the rims are slipped in place after the rest of the remote has been painted and weathered?

true or have others found a different method?

secondly.
the little stubby post above the panther gun port. jim c. says its a "muffler baffle" on the panther kit, but i am super confused to what that would be...i've flipped those sprues several times and cant find it. what am i misunderstanding?

thirdly,
the sheet rectanglangular pieces (big pieces @ equator) & (threesome above the cupolas). what is the thought of their thickness (along with the thickness of the circles around the rim)? the prop pics make the rectangles looks like they are two pieces stacked...creating small steps at the edges. this seems rather complicated by the standards of the prop makers and is just likely more the weathering of the edges to the primer white .. just a theory.--is it possible that the rectangles are actually painted scotch-lite. their thickness would indicate, no? and the horrible gunky painting may be due to applying thickly after that much light reflective on the prop was found to be TOO much for the camera? just theories?

thx

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back