Too blue, or not too Blue? My Tie Intercepter update on page 2

Guy Cowen

Sr Member
I'm back. I wasn't goint to show a mid paint on this beauty from Steve & the team, but I had to take shots under various light Temps to get the color I wanted. This was one tricky task indeed. Too blue, not enough blue so many color variants on ref pics etc etc etc I decided to try something new & worked out average (incorrect) light settings that people would've used taking the shots of the prop & mixed my color according to the new info. A lot of photoshop work to get were I wanted & many hours trying different paint mixes & different color temps!!! My conclusion was......Bollox to it! I've seen the prop in the flesh in Paris but only had a cheap camera but I clearly remember what colors it wasn't. All the photoshop stuff helped but when it came to the final color choice it was a lot of " a bit more of this & a bit more of that" type mixing. Finally I came up with a mix of Medium Blue/Grey, White, RLM green & another lighter blue. I really balls'd it up as I have only done 1 wing while I wait on some T track, I spilled the remainding mix only leaving me with very little paint to finnish the other wing & touch up work. I've thinned it down to get more out of it but it really is a case of fingers crossed. It wouldn't be me if I didn't balls something up:lol.
For the look of the Tie I really dont like the brand new imaculate style some people have chosen, I decided to try & make it look like the actual prop does now with Dust, Scratches, blemishes & all. Its quite a scruffy prop up close so I didn't bother with an immense amount of clean up on the body & wings. I have added weathering to the wings & the Black area's need redoing due to the touch up work I've done. This has got many layers of color to get to where I am now but in the flesh it does have a great deal of depth to it. I want it to fit into my collection & not stand out as a clean beast so some may find it a bit weathered but HEY its my Tie & like it:love. These are some of the shots I just did quickly to show where I was at, different color temps where used to show the difference it makes to the color. Hope you like it

MyTie3.jpg

MyTie4.jpg

MyTie1.jpg

MyTie2.jpg

MyTie5.jpg

MyTie7.jpg

MyTie8.jpg

MyTie6.jpg

I would have posted sooner but I'm having therapy as I think I'm in Love with the Red 5 that Lee did for Chris.

Last edited:
Re: Too blue, or not too Blue? My Tie Intercepter & its 8 colors later!!!

Looks great to me, Guy! I've never seen the prop in person, but yeah, it's pretty beat up. Not sure, though, is there more than one? Must be... I love the shows where they display it with the canopy on sideways. Anyway, love it! Nice work!

Looks great ! I saw the Int in Paris too and i think you pretty nailed the color !

What i really like is that you copied the dust and stuff from the real prop as it looks right now. It could be displayed at every expo now, just stunning !!! Not to mention that you are a very very quick builder which amazes me everytime (i always see me parts prepping and parts prepping and parts.... :lol).

I am working on my AT-ST right now and i hope that you are fine with me copying your leg position which is just awesome :)

Philip

I am working on my AT-ST right now and i hope that you are fine with me copying your leg position which is just awesome :)

Philip[/QUOTE]

Thats no problem, but if are not using a support I would suggest changing them as mine warped slightly under the weight of the head & body.

Wow that's great !

MyTie1.jpg

MyTie2.jpg

The color matches perfectly the filming prop !

P3052600.jpg

That's a tricky job indeed ! Well done !

Guy

Well IMO, you nailed it bro, damn yeah lol! Loving it, now get this baby finished up and bombard us with the good stuff...lots of pics lol.

I like the idea on geting her looking like the archive prop, beat up, dusty etc etc, good call, you seriously can paint my friend, and then some lol.

lee

Thanks guy's. Its really hard looking at it with only 1 wing done but I'll get there in the end. A board member here is sending me the extra T track so as soon as I get back from my holiday next week I should be able to finnish it before I go back to work in May, I had to do the Archive look as it would do my head in staring at the clean version. I don't mind the canon situation as its for my own collection, & to honest as soon I started with the weathering it came to life. I just noticed that the guns are quite lighter as the new mix was used so it looks like it will be quite a tough job to match the wing colors. This is were the RLM Green comes in to play, I gave it a light coat over the blue/grey & it gave it a great aged look. Fingers crossed for Wing 2. A new trick I've picked up is using a putty rubber on the weathering, works a treat for removing/controlling pastels, also with area's i would normally pre-shade I did it arse about tit, base color, shading, more base coat wash, then more shading then more base coat & so on, it gives a great shadow quality that you cant get with just pre-shading but the camera doesn't pick it up that well. I'm in the middle of desinging a new type of display stand for the Tie as well.

Just got back from my vacation & also had the the T track waiting for me as I came through the door (Big thanks to Mark). I will be able to finnish up later in the week, cant wait. On a sad not my AT-ST has bent & warped legs while I was away. it looks like it has melted its that bad!!!!

Bummer Guy, thats not a good thing to walk back into huh, im buildig one now, but will be fitting the chassis to a mini Panavise to the legs will have zero weight on them.

lee

I'll post a pick later it really is bad, I'm worried its a gonna.:sick

The Tie is looking great, Guy. :)

I'm sorry to hear about your AT-ST. :(

Moving forward with this, finally got the correct T & the second wing has just been primed for the base coat tomorrow

It might be a few months guy, but Tox and I are working on our scratch ST builds based on really good reference pics. Legs will be accurate down to the mm.. I plan to cast leg assembly upgrades for Niesen ROTJ owners reinforced using steel rod in the molds, aluminum based resin with a shell coating of cold cast nickel silver. Already discussed it with the guys at Smooth-On and they said it's the best way to go aside from paying big bucks to have them die cast. I'll post some details when I get further along :)

I'll post a pick later it really is bad, I'm worried its a gonna.:sick

I cant believe it, just sprayed the second wing but there was nowhere near enough paint left & its a bad match. I'm going to have to re do the hole thing to get it right. You live & learn. Each wing & the body are all different shades of blue/grey with the latest wing more grey than blue!!!! Could be worse?

At last this has nearly come to an end, just got some tarting up of the weathering around the wings where I've over done it to compensate for the color miss match, although it is much less noticeable since I took the pics!!! I hope :). I have rushed this some what as usual as I want to get my teeth into my PD thats just sat there all primed up staring at me , saying " youv'e got no chance, I'm too hard to paint, you'll never make me look like a real PD" Im not obsessed with this PD I promise!!!!!!!

Here is lots of pics of the Tie as it is now, all out doors in good sunlight with auto color temp settings. It still looks every color under the sun depending on the angle but I'm realy happy with it. Somthing had always bpthered me was the black panels on the wings, when I first did the flat black it looked wrong very matt, I always liked it when the wings picked up the lights or flash so I added a coat of satin clear over the black panels & it reflects just the right amount of light in any room or condition without looking too satin.

Any way hope you enjoy & remember it is not ment to look like the prop on day one but something that has been moved around for years from show to show & is dusty & unkept? I still may add the paint chips to reveal the mustard colored resin on the wings, gonna sleep on this?
FinTie1.jpg

FinTie10.jpg

FinTie11.jpg

FinTie12.jpg

FinTie13.jpg

fintie14-1.jpg

Fintie15.jpg

FinTie16.jpg

FinTie17.jpg

FinTie18.jpg

FinTie19.jpg

FinTie2.jpg

jpg-2.jpg

Fintie21.jpg

FinTie22.jpg

FinTie3.jpg

Fintie4.jpg

Fintie5.jpg

Fintie6.jpg

Fintie7-1.jpg

FinTie8.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back