Rub 'n Buff

JHVanOphem

I'm going to be using Rub 'n Buff (silver) on some plastic pieces I'm assembling, and I have a few questions.

Do you need to use primer under RnB? I know with silver paint a black primer gives a better result. Since RnB is wax-based, does primer even matter?

Second question. From what I've read RnB can be sealed. I've seen Future floor wax (acrylic), cheap enamel spray sealants, and the makers of RnB even sell a sealant.

What are people's experiences with the various sealants? I'm not looking for a highly chromed finished, more of an aluminium appearance, and as the final product will be directly against material, sealing is going to a must if I want to be sure of the finish remaining on the piece.

RnB doesn't require any primer coats. It's just a simple wax that's tough as nails. How tough? If you mess up, you'll have to re-paint the piece 'cause there's no getting that RnB off.

Put it on in thin layers and give each layer a few minutes to dry. If you want, you can then spray a layer of future floor wax. You'll end up with a high gloss finish.

-Fred

I don't have any experience with using sealers but for better results try painting the piece with a light cost of sliver or alu then apply thr RNB in layers as mentioned above.

I used it on all the silver colored parts of my R2 droid and once you buff the snot out of it it doesn't come off on your fingers etc.

I've aslo used directly over a tacky gold painted picture frame with great results.

Similarily, I made a drink tray attachment for R2 and did it up in Bronze RNB. I painted it flat brown, did a wash coat in bronze paint, then hit just the high sopts with bronxe RNB

Amazing stuff really.
Since it is wax based It will hard to find a sealant that is compatible. Most products wil just bead up on the surface.

Hope this helps a bit

Heath

Originally posted by slightlyagitatedwookie@Mar 19 2006, 09:56 AM
oh.. and remember. A little goes a LONG way.
[snapback]1208765[/snapback]​

How well does that stuff work on aluminium? Also, are you saying once you apply it it'll never come off?

Originally posted by TheSt.LouisKid@Mar 19 2006, 06:20 PM
I knew a guy who painted a gun prop with the stuff.

It did not take long for it to lose its shine from handling and turned grey.
[snapback]1208879[/snapback]​

Yeah, I'm not sure that I'd use it to do an entire piece if it couldn't be well-sealed.
Taliesin has used this stuff to great effect as a weathering device, though.

-Raj

That is what you also use on your Jango armor. I used it on my helmet as well. The stuff if great. One little tube will do about 2 sets of armor. You might also go to http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/forums and do a search in the Jango section. The is a lot of good info there as well. When you rub it on, you need to make sure you get it hot with the movement of your hand.

That's the same thing for me.
I used it on my Jango too.

BUT I must recommend a primer.
Not that it's needed to get the R&B to stick, but to get the surface smooth enough.
If you don't you will see every detail of the surface underneath.
I did that error once on a piece of armor of sintra after a build up of bondo.
You could crearly see what was bondo and what was sintra even after use of sandpaper.

Here's my armor.
gallery9-20.jpg

Originally posted by slightlyagitatedwookie@Mar 19 2006, 01:56 PM
oh.. and remember. A little goes a LONG way.
[snapback]1208765[/snapback]​

Agreed...use sparingly when weathering. ;)

I'd recommend using it in this way:

- Apply a TINY dab to your fingertip (emphasis on TINY)
- Wipe it off as much as possible on a rag or paper towel
- Then apply to the object in question

Although it may seem like you've gotten it all off on the rag, there'll be plenty for application.

Of course, this is assuming you're weathering and not using it for large-area application....the latter I've never thought to use it for. :)

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back