Captain Picard's Ready Room models (Enterprise E)

IndyFanChuck

Sr Member
Hey friends,

In Star Trek First Contact, Insurrection, and Nemesis, Captain Picard had a nice model display in his Observation Lounge.

It had all the previous Enterprise starships in gold, displayed in a nice way.

I was wondering if there was any avaliable information on this model display? It looks like they are just normal model kits painted gold.

Any suggestions on how to re-produce that model display and how exactly to paint the models?

I couldn't find a photo, but I'll have to take a screen cap and add it later. I just thought I would get the topic rolling and see if this is a project I can actually do. It would seem that making the models and just painting them gold would be fairly simple....

Thoughts anyone?

Last edited:
You could, but if you can, I'd go gold plating.

Sovereign_Observation_Lounge_%282373%29.jpg

ee-shipwall.jpg

firstcontact1231.jpg

firstcontact1233.jpg

firstcontact1242.jpg

firstcontact1246.jpg

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure they did, actually. I think it was the three-ship set of TOS, refit and E-D in smaller scales, though, and not the bigger ones as seen here.

(These items are models used as props so thread moved, sorry!)

Profiles in History sold a gold-plated 1701-D, purported to be from the First Contact shipwall. It seems to be a blue-styrene AMT kit that was gold plated.

wwwfilmclothescom37952lgu8.jpg

wwwfilmclothescom37954lqx3.jpg

Playmates Toys did an Enterprise D in gold plating.

Right, I remember that now! During the movie I assumed that's what they used for this prop, so it's surprising that they had a normal one plated. Maybe the plating didn't match. (Or there were too many toy aspects to fix.)

it's surprising that they had a normal one plated. Maybe the plating didn't match. (Or there were too many toy aspects to fix.)

Actually it's pretty easy to figure out that they needed (for the First Contact scene anyway) ship models that could be broken effortlessly. The modek kits are pretty fragile, but the Playmates toys are built sturdily.

Also there aren't playmates toys to represent each ship they needed. As it is the Enterprise-E model would have had to have beenn scratch built anyway, since the ship design was introduced in that very movie.

- k

I thought I would update everyone on my project. I am going to start with ONE model, and get it gold plated to see if it's going to look right.

I'll post photos when I get the model put together, and then get it plated. Hopefully this will be a nice little display. Just without the glass like Picard..

Thanks!!

I thought of doing this at one point... it would make a very nice wall display.

One thing I suggest you do before you get that first ship gold plated is make sure that first ship is in a scale that you can get all the other ships in in the same scale.

I suggest the 1/1400 models - they're pretty easy to come by and all the enterprises are available in that scale.

That way - after you get the first one plated - and you get addicted (which you will) then you can get the other ships in the exact same scale - and make a nice accurate wall display.

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back