OK Indy guys! Need your help! Indy Fedora!!!!!!

jedeyenight

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I know this sounds like a rookie question. I promise I have reseached and looked all about for this.

What is the BEST Indy hat for around 200.00?
I know this is an objective question but I want your opinions!
I am not looking for a specific movie look, just the best looking, best quality hat for my money.

For those of you that don't know me, I have a good grip on this hobby and what it costs. I've decided this is want I want to spend and I just need some help from My RPF family.

I am 90% sure I am going with the Akubra Federation deluxe in dark brown.

Any help would would hot....
Lot of love,
Frank

I think the Federation Deluxe is a great hat. I've owned several of the Federations and they've all exceeded my expectations. Hats Direct is about to roll out an improved Federation some time in April that will correct some of the slight deviations from screen accuracy for an Indy hat, and should be really killer. And not only is the quality of the hat itself top notch, but Hats Direct has amazing customer service. I HIGHLY recommend them.

And if you go for the Federation you're pretty much guaranteed that you'll actually have a HAT in time for Indy IV, not just a spot on a waiting list.

I'll second what WinstonWolf359 has said; I got a Federation Deluxe so I would have the hat in time for Indy IV, and I have not regretted the decision. Looks great and suits the part well.

Just remember it's an open crown hat, so you will have to shape it yourself. It's easy enough to do though, and there are good tutorials around; just do a search on here and you should find one.

Post pictures when you've got it.

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider

Thanks Guys!
I have no fears in bashing it myself, seems pretty easy. (or am I wrong?)
How about the Herbert Johnson hats? Are they still making the grade?
I know it's above the price point I mentioned, but I am trying to keep my options open.

Yeah, I would't go with the Fed Delux. For one thing its too Dark. It kind of reminds me of those old dark brown wool numbers that Stetson and Dorfman made. But as already stated, the news is that Ron at Hatsdirect has a new Fed on the block! The Federation IV. It has a new, better (AB Like) block shape, better ribbon and bow, dimentional cut brim and closer color. Head over to COW to have a look, or just check out Hatsdirect for more info.

As for HJ, I'm wearing one right now. It's the Magnoli Clothiers HJ built by Steve (Fedora) Delk of Adventurebilt fame. (You know, Indy4's hatter along with Marc Kitter) It's the only way to get an HJ that looks right and won't taper up too quickly. It's also the only HJ Poet that can take a serious reblock without the brim ripping off. Did I mention that Steve will make it look however you want it to look? (Mine is bashed like the Idol scene) But again...check out COW for more info.

Ash

AKA:Johnny Fedora (COW's resident MC/AB/HJ fedora cheerleader)

Last edited:
If you actually plan to wear it (in opposite to put it on a mannequin), I'd recommend the Fed. Deluxe. It's a little on the dark side but it'll fade into a lighter brown over time. It can be reblocked if necesarry and it'll take a beating and then some with no ill effects. If you REALLY where the "excrementum" out of it, it'll actually soften up quite nicely.

Just my opinion.

Regards,

Marc

If you actually plan to wear it (in opposite to put it on a mannequin), I'd recommend the Fed. Deluxe. It's a little on the dark side but it'll fade into a lighter brown over time. It can be reblocked if necesarry and it'll take a beating and then some with no ill effects. If you REALLY where the "excrementum" out of it, it'll actually soften up quite nicely.

Just my opinion.

Regards,

Marc

And THAT, kids, is pretty high praise coming form the guy making the FINEST Indiana Jones fedoras anywhere. :)

As for the color, I don't think the Fed deluxe is really that dark. It's certainly not as dark as the regular fed, that's for sure. Here's my brown Federation Deluxe and gray Fed Regular...

BrownGray4.jpg

And just to compare, here's the same Fed Deluxe next to a Fed Regular. I definitely think the regular fed is too dark, but the deluxe has a nice color, imho...

DLX-REG3.jpg

WW359, I notice on Hatsdirect the fed deluxe is only available in Dark brown. Is that the same color as yours?
Thanks,
Frank

My new hat arrived today! :thumbsup

But it's at the UPS terminal and I can't get it for another three hours! :angry

Cue Tom Petty...

I'll be watching. :)

I received the hat yesterday. I can't honestly say that I am blown away or completely in love with it, because it doesn't completly feel "right". But I believe there are two specific reasons for this...

First, I had the seller do the bash and shaping, and it's not quite what I expected. The brim has an upward turn in the back, where I wanted it to turn down. But this is easily correctable.

Second, I think I may have ordered the incorrect size. I requested (and received) a 60 (7 1/2). Immediately taking it out of the box, it felt small, and I dreaded placing it on the bust, fearing it would not fit. But lo, it fit the Chewie15 IJ2 resin bust just about perfectly.

However... It seems (at least to me) that a trademark characteristic of the Raiders hat is that it appears almost over-sized for Harrison Ford. This, combined with the fact that with how the current hat fits the bust it could afford to be a tad bit bigger, I think I should have gone with a 61 (7 5/8) or 62 (7 3/4).

I'm currently in communication with the seller to see about doing an exchange.

Would you all agree that the hat (for ROTLA) should look just slightly too big?

Last edited:
thanks for the info...would love to see pics of the hat on the Howard bust!...:thumbsup

I received the hat yesterday. I can't honestly say that I am blown away or completely in love with it, because it doesn't completly feel "right". But I believe there are two specific reasons for this...

First, I had the seller do the bash and shaping, and it's not quite what I expected. The brim has an upward turn in the back, where I wanted it to turn down. But this is easily correctable.

Second, I think I may have ordered the incorrect size. I requested (and received) a 60 (7 1/2). Immediately taking it out of the box, it felt small, and I dreaded placing it on the bust, fearing it would not fit. But lo, it fit the Chewie15 IJ2 resin bust just about perfectly.

However... It seems (at least to me) that a trademark characteristic of the Raiders hat is that it appears almost over-sized for Harrison Ford. This, combined with the fact that with how the current hat fits the bust it could afford to be a tad bit bigger, I think I should have gone with a 61 (7 5/8) or 62 (7 3/4).

I'm currently in communication with the seller to see about doing an exchange.

Would you all agree that the hat (for ROTLA) should look just slightly too big?

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back