Show your Dr. Who props!

View attachment 727360

I wasn't even planning to do this replica. But, I was in Michaels and saw this pack of 4 clear pin-backed buttons. They open and you just slip your printed emoji inside.

The pack was $1.99 and on top of that, I used my 40% off coupon I got from the Michaels.com website. Quickest and cheapest prop I've ever made. :lol

Oh nice!! This would be much cheaper and easier than resin. Are they the right size?

Oh nice!! This would be much cheaper and easier than resin. Are they the right size?

IMG_1172.JPG
You can buy Dr. Who "inspired" buttons on the web, but they are only 1.5 inches.

I don't know the right size, but I thought it should be bigger. These measure roughly 2.5 inches from edge to edge.

The make-your-own badge thing is exactly how I'm planning on doing mine (I've drawn out most of the emoji as vectors)
Over at the Tardis Builders forum, someone with an eye for these things pegged the size as ~5cm - which is as near to 2.5" as makes no difference

Those definitely look like a pretty good size!! Thanks for sharing!!

No problem. It's funny how the mind works. These must have been there the dozens of times I've been to Michaels, and yet I've never noticed them. But then this episode airs, and they jumped right out at me. I see the package says 2.25 inches.....but there's a bit of a border, so they're just a bit bigger.

I printed these at 60mm and that turned out good.

IMG_1180.JPG...IMG_1182.JPG...IMG_1183.JPGstrip.jpg

Emoji Button 2.0

This is still with the button holders from Michaels, but I removed the pin backs and just used 2 FRONTS. I used a washer, 60mm (metric from the internet) and put an emoji on BOTH sides of the washer. The washer fits perfectly in the two fronts and I glued them together. I then used a magnetic strip from a magnetic name badge holder (Office Depot / Staples)
and I can flip the emoji over instantly and get a different emoji. The washer inside the button sticks to the magnetic strip inside my shirt. You kinda have to hold the magnet strip in place while you flip the emoji over, but it's still cool to change emojis on the fly.

Last edited:
On eBay or Michaels.com you can search :

creatology plastic buttons

If you can find them locally, that'll save you a shipping charge.

Hello all,
Love the new sonic screwdriver for Capaldi, but I feel it needs a tweak. Feels visually bulky and implies functionality that isn't used.
The hinges seems like an after thought and seem overly complex.

Here are two design tweak ideas I was thinking about augmenting. What are your thoughts?

Best,
-J
DrWhoSS_002.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back