Darth Maul cutaway lightsaber COMPLETED! Pics on first post

Re: Darth Maul cutaway lightsaber

Thanks for the tip Joatrash, I ran a brush across a few of the boards and it seemed to dull them down a little.

Here's what I've been doing to it the last couple of days. I'm waiting on a couple more crystals to get here, and then I can really start fixing things into place, starting the wiring etc. The clay around the crystal in the pic will obviously be sanded down and painted black. Not gonna leave it like that. :lol

IMG_1809.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Darth Maul cutaway lightsaber

Now we're motoring...todays progress includes wiring, and the gold wiring lining the inside has been touched up to look more complete. I have a line of reasoning for everything looking like it does, but let me know what you think of how it looks so far, and if anyone has suggestions, I'd love to hear them. Not that there's a lot of room for anything else...

I'm going to add another crystal and a few more wires, but nothing major. Then all I need is buttons to complete the look.

IMG_1813.jpg

IMG_1811.jpg

Re: Darth Maul cutaway lightsaber - New pics

Doubled up...I have to say, in halves this lightsaber does not look great as a cutaway. Add the other end though, and it makes all the difference.

IMG_1833.jpg

IMG_1826.jpg

Re: Darth Maul cutaway lightsaber - New pics

Well, it's almost done. It needs buttons, and thats about it. Well, the other half needs to be finished, but when it is, it'll look like this. :D The first pic has some 'just for fun' buttons that will be replaced with good ones. Just a taster...

IMG_1865.jpg

IMG_1853.jpg

IMG_1854.jpg

IMG_1857.jpg

IMG_1858.jpg

IMG_1859.jpg

IMG_1861.jpg

You asked for comments...and I am impressed. Understand that I wouldn't even begin to undertake something like that, so I can only comment from an aesthetic standpoint. The only thing you might consider in the future is extending this out a bit more toward the emitter. Seems to be a lot of dead space toward them, but again, that's just my eye's opinion. Other than that one little nitpick, I am in awe...

I would have liked it if there was some link to the hilts various features on the outside, except for just the buttons. What are the rings for? Why is the tube of different diameter here and there.. Add tiny details that give the features function. Maybe engrave on the cut surface and add paint or metal inlays.
There is a cross-section picture of Maul's saber in a publication, and that one has been ignored. I would have thought higher of this saber if that picture had been used as a starting point, and the design was improved upon with just more details.

So, reading between the lines I guess you don't like it.

Why don't you build it as you think it should be, and post it here?

Thanks guys! As far as the 'dead space' of the emitter goes, it was actually a concious decision. I was thinking of the scene in which Maul taps his blade against the energy wall on Naboo, and then deactivates his saber. We get a great shot of the emitter, and this big black hole containing...absolutely nothing. So, I tried to duplicate that a little. I realise some people may not agree with that, but that was why I did it.

As far as not referring to the external details, I always felt the rings were just a gripping area. Somewhere for Maul to grip without pressing a button. The change of diameter? I don't know, but when you're drilling through a single solid piece, it's impossible to change the diameter of your drill to reflect the external changes. And since it doesn't make sense to try and reflect an external size change when the internal size doesn't change...I didn't do anything.

As for the published cutaway diagram, I used it for a very basic inspiration, so to say it's been ignored is wrong. I just didn't want to copy it.

Rad, I had a lot of fun writing the functions diagram. I'm such a nerd. :lol

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back