TE Painting tips needed

yodakiller1138

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I am painting a TE trooper helmet with the Krylon gloss white plastic bonding paint. For some reason when I finshed spraying certain areas started to have a cracked appearance. I know how to paint. I've wet sanded the spots after it was dry and it did it again . The paint started cracking again. I've just finished stripping it down entirely and am going to start over. Can any experts here tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks,
Scott:cool

I'm no expert but could you have gotten a bad batch of paint? Try it on something else and see if the results are the same :thumbsup

Are you painting in a particularly cold environment?

Or is the part cold and the paint warm?

Are you mixing paint types. Lacquer over enamel? Enamel over acrylic? or vice versa?

Your are experiencing something called crazing.

I was using the Krylon plastic bonding paint. I was painting 1st coat in tan and the 2nd coat in white. So both paints are compatable. From what you say about temperature that sound like it might be the problem. I might have to wait till the weather warms up.

Your problem could be timing - I discovered after using this Krylon on a project (by reading the label) - If you are laying down multible coats they have to be sprayed down with in an hour. After an hour you have to wait a week for the coat to cure to try to lay down another coat. Had to re=do my phase pistol handles several times before I made that discovery.

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back