ROTJ Vader light saber

Well gang, what do you think? Fairly close, or no?

IMG_2723_zpsxvx95vlt.jpg

Vader%20ESB%20Build_2b_zpscauicj2w.jpg

Looks great! I think the guys smushed the wires to the saber body instead of letting them stay rounded too, maybe because they fell out?

Heres mine :cool

Tho i cant seem to upload the photos properly.. Oh well... I tried :facepalm

Attachments

• 20160722_225803.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 173
  • 20160722_225120.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 169
  • 20160722_225027.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 157
  • 20160722_224549.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 142
  • 20160722_224537.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 159
  • 20160722_224522.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 139
  • 20160722_224511.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 140
  • 20160722_224447.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 132
  • 20160722_224319.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 129
  • 20160721_054541.jpg
    20160721_054541.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 227
Looks great! But, you're missing the exactra circuit board under the bubbles!

And I guess you just didn't wanna do screws in the grips? I can't blame ya, there. I don't really like them. And were they even there in ESB?

Is it just me but it looks like these wires were painted, on the red and brown you can see white.

I'd probably say it that it's either dust or just wear - if you knick the wire covering, it tends to be lighter in colour... Almost white. It doesn't really make sense for them to paint the wires since the colours used are fairly common with exception of the blue wire.

Talking of paint this has to have been painted too. The line is way to crisp and there are chippings certainly on the top shot and again if you look at the E on the bottom and the way that is - had to be surely?

Also not sure what you mean by this... do you think that the "E" has been painted? Most were factory painted. Here's a picture of my M.P.P.:

mpp4_zps44b2e0ea.jpg

Parfaitelumiere once sold me vintage wires coming from MPP guts ... a red, blue and white ... they were exact the same in size as the smaller white and blue in the pictures shown above of the real lightsaber prop and they have a different smaller gauge size than the red, brown and grey used. I see what Marv means but it's hard to draw conclusions from pictures without having the real prop in hand, turning it over in the light to examine it more closely. Though it's possible, I highly doubt the propmakers, back in 1981/82, went to such lenghts to paint the wires different colors for fun sake. I for one never found the correct reddish brown ... so if paint was applied on white or grey wires it would make it easier to get accurate appearance as seen on screen ;)

Chaim

Talking of paint this has to have been painted too. The line is way to crisp and there are chippings certainly on the top shot and again if you look at the E on the bottom and the way that is - had to be surely?

Yeah ... that picture is quite confusing ... as a photographer I know it is possible to get a white reflection on chrome surfaces like that ... but it does look like white paint has been applied for whatever reason :wacko

Chaim

Not to be a doubter; but, if the prop makers simply sawed off the bubble strip - circuit board and all - wouldn't the stuff under the bubbles be the 7-segment LED indicators that were under the bubbles originally, and not just some fandom circuit board material?

It looks to me like some of the nickel plating is missing. The MPP they used probably had some light rust on it originally, which would have crept under the nickel and lifted it. The prop builders would've just buffed the whole tube to remove the rust. The steel underneath has a different micro-texture, which appears to the eye as being more diffuse and less reflective.

Not to be a doubter; but, if the prop makers simply sawed off the bubble strip - circuit board and all - wouldn't the stuff under the bubbles be the 7-segment LED indicators that were under the bubbles originally, and not just some fandom circuit board material?
Pretty sure that IS the exactra board. Hasn't been suggested it's a random piece.

PropStoreHero4.jpg prop store pic, the pattern matches an exactra board.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back