Licensed Star Wars Costumes from Museum Replicas

Their browncoat wasn't great. Some of their stuff, though, is decent. I live about an hour and a half from their store, so I'm sure I'll have to make a pilgrimage up there when the stuff comes out, to see for myself.

My premonition is that for stuff like Jedi/Sith robes, they'll be fine. Not a lot of details, not a lot to screw up. Pretty much the same for Han and Leia. Boba Fett, though... We'll see.

Some of their stuff looks really awful...all the leather stuff they make looks like they used extremely cheap low grade leather. Their magneto helmet is totally wrong yet they claim to have used the real helmet to create it...

Looks like they have stuff coming out from the new iron man movie, three different products, a mark1, mark2, and mark3, most likely helmets.

Based on that interview it sounds as if they're expecting their armor to be off-the-shelf, 501st-worthy.

I have a bad feeling about this.

Based on that interview it sounds as if they're expecting their armor to be off-the-shelf, 501st-worthy.

I have a bad feeling about this.

It's interesting that they claim to be consulting with the 501st, but I've heard nothing from the inside...unless someone's being awfully tight-lipped about it. Another thing to consider is that LFL's legal department might have its hand forced to crack down on the "bootleg" armor makers since they have a responsibility to their licensees (who have in essence paid for the rights to legally produce armor). Prepare for another round of C&Ds or, if you're already underground, dig deeper!

If I'm not mistaken, Windlass/Museum Replicas has the license for "high end" costumes and armor (but no sabers or blasters). Rubies still has the license for...uh..."Halloween" costumes I guess?

Interesting that both Museum Replicas and Rubies are planning to release "high end" Licensed Stormtrooper Armour.

Not sure how LFL licensing can assign rights to two competing companies!

Cheers

Jez

What's interesting to me is who is absent from the list of costumes.

The big pink elephant in the room is the glaring omission of Darth Vader.

It's interesting that they claim to be consulting with the 501st, but I've heard nothing from the inside...unless someone's being awfully tight-lipped about it. Another thing to consider is that LFL's legal department might have its hand forced to crack down on the "bootleg" armor makers since they have a responsibility to their licensees (who have in essence paid for the rights to legally produce armor). Prepare for another round of C&Ds or, if you're already underground, dig deeper!

An interesting point and could be a possibility. When rubies and MR put out there vader gear there seem to be no problem for the vader vender's, I would think or should i say hope this would be the same for the Trooper vender's.....

Not fond of the FX stuff myself, but no need to bash the 5-0-1.

LOL, this is funny. First Museum Replicas gets the LOTR license and says the same thing. Accurate, got to look and study the screen used costumes., etc. Then they release the items, very few people buy them and the soft costumes fall apart. Velvet comes rubs off the bases fabric, they use different fabrics on the same dress as if they ran out of one fabric and substituted whatever was at the local fabric store, the SCA guys HATE their armor stuff.

Funny thing is, Master Replicas and Rubies (Don Post too) had access to the archives and everything has to be modded for production. I believe this excited endeavor when I see it. I get their catalogs constantly.

I will be at DCon and would love to see what they manage to cobble together. They have money and resources, sure, but I dont think they understand the time and commitment it takes to back up the "every type of armor, you name it" theory. LMAO, right. Don't even start the screen accurate controversy.

So they are partnering with Sideshow for distribution? Love Sideshow, they do some awesome stuff. What happened to the X-Men Leather movies suits? What happened to Master Replicas Obi-Wan and Anakin outfits? To say you are going to release every major characters outfits, in multiple sizes mind you and accurate? Good luck. Then lets the fans get a hold of it.

I don't blame them for being excited, who wouldn't be, I mean the $$$ signs and the license with "LFL" on it is a sweet adventure, just put on your seat belts, this is going to be a bumpy ride.

Bumpy ride.. I feel the same way.. I am really torn about this.. I've always liked the company and have had no problems with them..yeah the stuff is made from cheaper materials to keep their cost down, but the quality is WAY better than, like Rubies or companies that produce for the "one-time-wear" Halloween market..I have several of their pieces that we've used for our haunted house (Netherworld) and the quality has been hit and miss.. I have the Wizard's robe which has been just great and has stood up to a LOT of wear & cleanings.. but the last piece that I bought was the Highwayman coat, and though it was very well made, the fabric was a bit dry and it has already ripped..same with the others.. hit or miss.. so I guess it's going to be buyer beware..
In the interview, they say that they'll start out selling complete outfits.. I think they would do better going ahead and offering parts.. Officer caps, TK butt-plates, jetpacks, that sort of thing..
But then again, I'm torn.. I'm 501st, and I don't want to see any of our mom/pop/garage makers forced out of the 'market'..and I will continue to buy from them for the high quality..plus- we usually get see pix of the molds/patterns and the creation process from the individual artists..
Then again,- I have a lot of respect for Museum Replicas-The guy who started Museum Replicas (Hank Reinhardt) was a staple in southern fandom until his death last year..and they have always been a good company to deal with for me.. I can't vouch for the Windlass side of things though..It will be interesting to see what happens..I just hope LFL 'does right' for the costume groups and leaves the 'small-producers' alone..

I am not particularly worried about our cottage craftsman. They have always put out incredible products because they dont have to dumb things down for manufacturing.

I dont see Windlass or MusRep having a warehouse with a bunch of large vactables just for armor, once they have their master done its going to be farmed out to a company or companies that do industrial vacform and they will ask for no undercuts, etc to meet the demand. They couldnt afford to go injection molding on these suits, one injection process master mold is over $10,000 for one part. Thats why we never see injection molded helmets from MR, etc...to expensive.

I don't think LFL will go after unlicenced producers any more than they already do, they might/probably will start dishing out C&D's on Ebay vendors(FX) but other than that i don't think anyone will be hit.
None of the better more accurate stuff available is that publically visible like for sale on websites or whatever, you actually have to go looking for it and it's not produced in huge numbers so won't affect licenced producers much who can openly advertise to the masses.

Windlass's track record with armor has been pretty sketchy. Steel body armor is one of those things that really shouldn't be "one size fits most", not if you want it for more than decoration.

I'll be interested to see if they come up with brand new molds of their own, or if they just adapt something that's already out there. The company's based in India, and that region doesn't have the greatest reputation for respecting intellectual property rights.:confused

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back