Kirk's Captain's Chair from the movies - Anyone ever do one??

Jediscum

I see a lot of TOS chairs but have never seen one from the Refit. Has anyone ever tried making one of these? I would love to see any pics and any helpful hints. I've always wanted one but wouldn't know where to start.

Thanks

Presently I am working on the Emperor's chair from Star Wars. I haven't looked close at Kirk's movie chair but I have been eyeballing the chairs from the Next Generation!
I was thinking that Geordi's chair and Data's would make good diningroon chairs with the appropriate table! Then have Riker's chair and the Captains in the den with a matching sofa or loveseat!
But, that's just me. I think weird sh--, I mean crap like that all the time!!!:lol

TMP: Captain's chair upholstered in gray ergonomic pads. Peneumatic armrests serve as restraint device ("seatbelt"). Motorized headrests change height automatically

tmpchairsjy7.jpg

chairarmsff4.jpg

WOK: Enteprise chairs reupholstered in what appears to be white or gray coverings. Chair arms and headrests no longer motorized.

wokbridgechairsrearkm5.jpg

erbridgest2sj3.jpg

Reliant chairs appear as they did in TMP, with ergonomic pads.
twok0338pm2.jpg

ST3SFS: Enterprise chairs appear as they did in WOK. Note captain's chair arm.

st3entchairsag6.jpg

USS Grissom chairs recovered in PINK!

grissompinkvp1.jpg

USS Excelsior gets wacky overdesigned cartoon chairs.

st3excelsiorqr7.jpg

st3excelsior02ua4.jpg

Star Trek 4 TVH: chairs with ergonomic pads similar to TMP, but upholstered in blue and gray. Some pads that were individual in TMP are merged together by the covering.

consolesst4re1.jpg

st4chairs2vx7.jpg

Star Trek 5 TFF: Complete Bridge redesign. Captain's chair becomes bigger, more padded, has control panels like Picard's in late-season TNG. Other chairs are now smaller office-style chairs.

st5capchairfh3.jpg

st5capchair2nk5.jpg

st5capchair3by2.jpg

Star Trek 6 TUC: more pads, lighter upholstery.
st6capchairdd6.jpg

Excelsior Bridge: Captain's chair lacks additional back pads, upholstered in blue.

st6excelsiorbridgeabovesy2.jpg

Last edited:
WOW!! Never noticed just how much difference there was between movies. Favorites still got to be TWOK-TSFS. I always wanted one as a computer chair.

Phase pistol - any leads on blueprints/templates, etc.??

TNG Bridge... first season Conn and Ops chairs are VERY low recliners

burton01wg8.jpg

Later season Conn and Ops chairs are more reasonably upright and more heavily padded

conopsuprightsh7.jpg

First season Captain's chair is low and wide, same design as flanking chairs but with higher armrests and flip-up woodgrain covered control panels. All three chairs are suspended from the wall behind them.

castcrew01fi1.jpg

femtrio02wr3.jpg

Later season Captain's chair has higher backrest, built-up arms and control panels fixed in place. Chairs now have floor pedestals instead of being suspended from behind.

imageswikiacomgalaxyclaxn6.jpg

Generations - command chairs are on a raised dais and sit much higher than in regular TNG. Many other Bridge modifications, extra consoles, etc.
stgbridgeseatsareauc3.jpg

First Contact
captainschairqq2.jpg

Insurrection
inschairso5.jpg

Nemesis
nembridge03wg2.jpg

At the end of Nemesis a deleted gag scene features Picard getting a new chair with seat belts.

Last edited:
Well, on the TNG chairs, I heard in an interview that they were actually seats from a car rehupolstered and with in the case with the captain's chair arm rests added. What vehicle they came out of is beyond me.

...wasn't this about the movie chairs though?

The TMP chairs are the best in IMHO, I have always thought of making one or would jump at the chance to get one.

I think its pretty obvious that in ST2, they moved the TMP chairs to the reliant, and gave the enterprise what is seen. The ST2 enterprise chairs look very cheap and thrown together.

Perhaps the Enterprises chairs were just newer and the Reliant's were the older ones. Enterprise got a minor refit and Reliant didn't get diddly. Remember something like 13 years pass between TMP and TWK... which also nicely explains why the characters appear to have aged so much. What the heck happened to the actors in 3 years?

Karl, Darth Gordon's comment below gave me the inspiration to issue the following challenge:
Can you post pics of the enterprise crew from each of their movies in similar positions to demonstrate how their appearances changed over the years? (Please...pretty please with sugar on top??) :thumbsup

Alex

Perhaps the Enterprises chairs were just newer and the Reliant's were the older ones. Enterprise got a minor refit and Reliant didn't get diddly. Remember something like 13 years pass between TMP and TWK... which also nicely explains why the characters appear to have aged so much. What the heck happened to the actors in 3 years?

Here's a cool little fact... The bridge chairs in ST:TMP were covered in girdle material. The material was also used to cover all of the furniture in Kirk's quarters and the beds in sickbay.

Karl, Darth Gordon's comment below gave me the inspiration to issue the following challenge:
Can you post pics of the enterprise crew from each of their movies in similar positions to demonstrate how their appearances changed over the years? (Please...pretty please with sugar on top??) :thumbsup

Alex

I've always wondered how close Frakes is getting to Riker's future appearance in All Good Things.

Now that I think of it, I think someone here has identified the specific chair, and I do believe it was a very expensive boat chair. I remembered reading an interview with Zimmerman saying that they used car seats, but he wasn't actually on TNG when the bridge was first built, so he was probably refering to something else.

...and I've removed the bridge redesign from Generations from my memory... but the title does say "Kirk's"

Last edited:
I think Picard's Captain's Chair from the Enterprise-E (the TNG era movies) is a real-world chair. But I could be wrong.

As to WOK chairs and so forth, keep in mind that the Reliant Bridge is actually the same physical Bridge set as the Enterprise Bridge! Only the pieces have been rearranged, repainted and some new elements added.

So the Reliant chairs ARE the TMP chairs... but the "Enterprise" chairs in WOK just have the slipcover over them.

In fact the bridge set for TMP is reused as the Battle Bridge in TNG, with the 1701-D's chairs and consoles. For Trek 5 the set was rebuilt again with new consoles (but the turbolift door alcoves remained the same).

eafbattlebridgeoveralljy8.jpg

The Bridge set in TNG was modified from season to season, as noted above, but also dramatically altered for a few of the "alternate universe" stories. For example in "Yesterday's Enterprise" the 1701-D bridge has been "militarized" to reflect the ship's "battleship" status. The central section has been built up with steps leading to a raised dais, and the other two chairs are removed to leave the Captain sitting alone as in Kirk's time. Also the ambient lighting was lowered, and extra workstations are added to the sides of the Bridge so that there would be more personnel about. Some railings from the Enterprise-A set are also used.

The 1701-D Bridge in "Generations" incorporates some of these modifications as well.

yebridge01ye5.jpg

yebridgechairrm9.jpg

yebridge2im3.jpg

Regards the comparison photos I'll have to look thru my files, I'll try to get to it later.

- k

Last edited:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back