Blank Firing Guns (Prop Guns) and Grips

rabbit4x

Sr Member
While watching Supernatural and Shooter, I've noticed that there have been shiny handguns and the pearl grips. So, I've been looking into a blank firing gun and looking at pearl replacement grips.

I was wondering how easy it is to replace the grips on a blank firing gun? Can they be replaced? The gun I want to put the pearl grips on are Beretta 92's, so anyone have a place that offers low cost pearl grips?

Can anyone identify these guns and the type of grips? It doesn't have to be exact, but whatever comes close.

From Supernatural:
supernatural_533.jpg

From Shooter:

snapshot20080218004303.jpg

Both of those guns are a Taurus PT92 or maybe PT99 I think (I'm more familiar with the Beretta versions)
You can remove the grips from the 8mm Beretta you've found, but as far as I know they don't make pearl grips to go with it, and because it's not a totally accurate replica, real gun grips will probably not fit correctly.

Are we talking about Mother-of-Pearl? If so it can be cut, filed and sanded pretty much like plastic right? Just need to be very gentle and handle with kit gloves I presume?

If that is the case then it shouldn't be too hard to fashion replacement grips out of pieces of Mother-of-Pearl if the original ones are available to use as templates/reference.

More importantly how do they get the Mother-of-Pearl, which is the shape of a large clamp, into flat pieces? That's what's been bugging me all this while...

As long as the model has the screws on the hand grips in the same location as the actual firearms which I know the 1911's and p-38s do. It's a simple matter of buying replacement grips. They start at around $30 and go up from there depending on type and quality.

I remember reading a tutorial somewhere on how to fake a pearl paintjob. Off the top of my head, it involves a handpainted layer of pearl white then, while the white is still viscous, dropping ribbons of silver and swirling it around with a toothpick or something. After that, a few coats of glossy pearl smooths it out. I forgot where I read the tutorial but Google oughta yield something. I suppose most of the work would go into either sanding off the original grips or filling the grit with Bondo and sanding down.

Good luck!

Thanks for the tips and ideas everyone! I've been looking around and seeing what works right now. Nothing concrete, but I'm working on it.

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back