Constantine Knuckles

franz bolo

Sr Member
Well, it just goes to show you that you never really know somebody until either a) you move in with them, or b) you get into a business arrangement with them. Now, I've never lived with this guy, but I did have an arrangement with him that he was unable to live up to. The following is a friendly adviso not to get involved with Machina Artium (Clay).

As most of you know, to get to a finished project it takes many clever minds from this forum working together. Specifically, for the Constantine Brass Knuckles project, it took Nexus6, D48thRonin, TimDrakeRobin among others, doing many hours of research before I could compile all the info into a finished illustration. Machina Artium, who had never before dabbled in the realm of prop reproduction voiced and interest in getting involved in the final aspect of the project: actually making the thing. Machina Artium and I went into an arrangement where I would provide a Hi-Res file of the artwork and he would provide me with 3 sets of knuckles (1 titanium, 1 ballistic aluminum, 1 brass) and he would take all of the monetary profits. Even though he readily agreed to these terms, it turns out that he bit off more than he can chew.

He never could hold up his end of the bargain and altered our agreement many times. (Our 3rd agreement was for 1 stainless and 3 Brass/Bronze sets).
He did manage to send one set that was in OK shape but refuses to send me the last pair he owes me. (He now says he owns my design but he is clearly using it without my permission). The stainless version was OK but 2 of the crosses weren't done right and I got an aluminum one which I didn't ask for. The following is a photo of the brass one he did send me. I had to send it back and I received the next version with the misaligned text (see second photo).

messupoc3.jpg

clay2fs4.jpg

After more than a year of dickering with Machina Artium, I've decided to just cut my losses. He's sold more than 30 finished items on eBay and the RPF for an average price of $175 and $200 per piece, and what I got was a year long laundry list of excuses (including but not limited to the Virginia Tech Massacre, which is an unprecedented low in my opinion) why it's just too darn difficult for him to live up to the points of the bargain that he originally agreed to. I strongly advise that nobody get in bed with this guy unless you like gambling with a stacked deck NOT in your favor.

I also apologize in advance for whatever poorly worded flame response this letter is guaranteed to generate from him. You can expect to read all manner of un-professional "nuh-uh's" and "I know you are but what am I" from Machina Artium. Please disregard them, and let's all continue doing what we do best: makin' props!

-----------------------------------------------------

Now the good news!

I've found a much more reputable prop production guy (who's actually done this kind of thing before) by the name of Jmtwo. Many of you have worked with him or at least seen the fruits of his labors (triangle of light etc.). Not only was he able to perfectly reproduce the knuckles in his first attempt, but he personally created the most attractive display base possible. Also, the product is resin, not metal, so it's less expensive, and we won't have any problems shipping it anywhere. Take a look at the image below, and please, give kudos where they're due, to Jmtwo for producing such a wonderful end product. He truly is a professional, a man of his word.

done06cd3.jpg

done01hf2.jpg

done03gh4.jpg

done05xk8.jpg

done02eg1.jpg

brass01bb8bo8.jpg

FB

Re: Constantine Knuckles and Warning!

Sorry to hear about this, my friend.

Like i told you before, i always felt you got royaly shafted in the first place (you were entitled to half of the actual profit imho). The fact that clay is obviously making more of these using your artwork without your permission (the artwork is yours unless you handed it over to him and said he could do with it whatever he wanted) is really bad manners, and he obviously has no clue what this hobby is all about and how things are supposed to be done in this hobby.

Good to hear you teamed up with Jmtwo, those knuckles look killer and i love the stand for it, maybe i should do something similar for the lighter.

Cheers,

Marc

It always saddens me when one our members gets taken adantage of by an obvious knucklehead (insert intentional pun smilie here).

I suggest that as a group we collectiveley give this guy a rap on the knuckles :)thumbsdown ) by not putting any more work his way.

Shame on you, you muck-monster. I don't know how these guys have the 'brass' to pull this crap.

Jmtwo, however, is the man, so it's good to see this project in the hands of an artisan, and out of those of an arsehole :lol

FB, good show for going public and congratulations on the new deal!

Be careful though! ;)

Are the new pair cold cast? They look good enough for me to consider buying them and I haven't even seen the movie yet. Cold cast would be better since a friend of mine in high school saw prison time for having a real pair of brass knuckles (of course he was on probation for other stuff at the time). Nice work, sorry to hear about your issues with MA.

I'm having the same exact problems with this guy, I sent him a slightly different graphics for the Triangle of Light a couple of days before I sent them to the GREAT Jmtwo...
He said he will give me full credit for the artwork, no percentage on the profits (I was asking just 5/10%) and ONE copy of the final product (I was thinking that an ALL METAL triangle of light could be cool to have, and I was asking at least for TWO copies, one for me and one for a friend, but probably it was too much...)
I don't know if he is working on it or not, but I have to admit that his "attitude" on the e-mails is somewhat "arrogant" (something like: I'm doing you a favor, take what I'm offering and you will have also a copy for free).
Now I don't know if this is normal in his buisness, but I trust franz bolo (he is a great artist, and a great artist can't lie!:D LOL), so I'm listening his warning.
This was my only experience whit MA, so I'm sharing it with you.

A big thank you to FB to giving me (us) this heads-up (and let's hope that is not my case:D ), and another mention to the great work of Jmtwo, who I consider one of the best guys in this hobby (if not THE best;) ).

P.S.
Sorry for my awful English in this post...:p

I knew Clay was a flake a while back. I tried to cut a deal with him and it didn't go smoothly at all...

I'm glad Jmtwo stepped up to the plate for you. I've heard nothing but good things about the guy and his work. I bought one thing from him myself and it is really quite nice.

:)

Two things -
1) Sorry to hear you got screwed FB
2) WOW those resin knukles are awesome. The metal ones are too expensive (expecially just to display) I want some of those, Jmtwo!!!!

This is kind of shocking to me.

Clay has does the rough machining on 2 of my iron Meteorite spheres and has not let me down yet, in fact, he and his partner went above the call of duty and reworked the fixture for the second sphere and didn't ask for additional money.

I know trade deals have a tendency to go bad and that's why I always just "pay" for the services I need.

Perhaps you should have just hired Clay to do the work?

Last edited by a moderator:

Only problem with that is that he would be out cash and not happy with the finished product.

Pat

Very sorry to hear that things went south for you with Clay, especially when I think back to the excitement and euphoria that accompanied the development of this project a year ago.

It's good of you to post a warning for the rest of us. Thank you. :thumbsup

This is kind of shocking to me.

Paying with cash or paying in trade should have no bearing whatsoever in the finished product and/or service levels.

My friend is a freelance artisan in the film industry and he has a saying;

"You're only as good as your last job".

There's also that quote by the Hells Angels when they started getting a bad rep in the U.S.;

"When you do good no one remembers, when you do bad no one forgets".

It can take a lifetime to get a good reputation for yourself in any walk of life but it can be destroyed in a moment.

Harry

I know trade deals have a tendency to go bad and that's why I always just "pay" for the services I need.

I thought that the whole idea of this board was help people who may not be motivated only by money work together on projects. I can call a machine shop in town to get any number of "professionals" to do work for me. So could have FB. He should own the rights to his artwork and deserve to get more of the profit. Let MA find someone else to do the artwork for him. As an artist I know I often get the attitude that because "art is fun", and my talents were a gift from God, that I shouldn't deserve to get paid highly for my work. That it isn't "real work". That we all just basicly pull it out of our butts. now most of my jobs are in India. I am sure others here understand this. My grandfather was a Machinist and I understand the "Skill" he put into things, but he always understood I could do things he couldn't no matter how hard he tried. Sorry BD, but you hit a nerve here.

Well, it amazes me how one person who gets pissed of cause he thinks he got screwed can cry and all of you jump on board to support him. Dont worry at all people. I have seen how a few of you are petty whining little people with nothing better to do than complain. Im not even going to go into the whole story about Franz Bolo and the whole thing, its not worth wasting my time. Suffice to say that I wont be on here any longer.
Franz, if this is what you wanted, you got it.

Try talking to all of the people that were very satisfied with my work and what I did--but that doesnt matter to you here does it??
You just want to have your little peyton place and feel better about yourselves doing it.

Later on all--hope you have a great life. I just want to let everyone kow that still wants to deal with me that you can contact me at my email anytime. Would be glad to work with you--

Hey--ask Bobby C from Dullam-Causey what he thinks?? See what kind of answer you get.

Ramiel--I wont use your artwork without your permission either.

Hasta la vist Baby

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back