SS X-Wing - Upgrade those parts to Metal Tutorial

Watson

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Here is a tutorial in pictures on how I did the metal flash supressor for the Studio Scale X-Wing. I had already upgraded the canon heat sinks to real metal parts and decided to go an extra step for the canon flash supressor.

First I went to home depot and bought some 3/4 metal tubing that they have on the hardware aisle. It is 1/16" thick and is pretty easy to cut with a good hack saw.
xfp001sm.jpg

You can see in the next picture the setup I used to cut the rings. I measured the kit piece and then measured how far over to cut. Using a mitre box I clamped in the tube and cut out a ring. I needed two sets so I did this three more times to get four rings.
xfp002sm.jpg

Next, using a vice I clamped in the ring I just cut and made my first cut. All you need to do at this point is make one cut then flip it over and make your second cut. It doesnt take too much eye balling to get it right and to cut the ring in half.
xfp003sm.jpg

xfp004sm.jpg

xfp005sm.jpg

Once you have your pieces cut in half you will see in comparing to the kit piece that the ring halves are not the correct shape. They are more narrow that the kit piece.
xfp006sm.jpg

To fix this what I did was clamp the orginal tubing into my vice. Then I took the semi circle pieces and, using a hammer, placed them on the outside of the tubing and hammered around until it expanded the piece out. Now in comparing to the original kit piece you can see that they are much closer in shape.
xfp007sm.jpg

xfp008sm.jpg

xfp009sm.jpg

xfp010sm.jpg

Next I put the pieces in the vice again with the rough edges facing up and using a metal file, filed each side down flat. I did both sides at once so that they appear uniform.
xfp011sm.jpg

xfp012sm.jpg

xfp013sm.jpg

Last all you need to do is drill the hole centered in the piece while it is still clamped in the vice and you are done.
xfp014sm.jpg

xfp015sm.jpg

I hope this helps you guys out, it is really easy to do and I think you can see that the results are pretty good.
EdsWing038sm.jpg

This is a good example of something so simple yet so effective that I never think about doing. Using the vice to cut rings in half is just what I needed a project or two ago. Thanks for the tip!!!

Joe

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back