Evil Dead II: Kandarian Dagger (ALL DONE!!!)

LeMarchand

Sr Member
[EDIT] see http://www.therpf.com/showpost.php?p=540844&postcount=46 for pics of the finished kit.

Yeah, yeah, i know....i have a thing for obscure props with bones in them :D

Still in it's early stages, but thought you might want to see my progress on a project i have been wanting to do for years: The kandarian Dagger from EDII. From studying all the reference i could gather, it looks like the grip of the first movie was recycled and a new blade sculpted. So i could use the clear shots of it in the featurette on the DVD as well.

I bought the skeletonkit that was used and started identifying the pieces, also a good thing i am quite fond of chicken :D

Still a lot to do (doing the grip first, blade second), but am pretty happy with the result sofar. The gripsection has all the bones it needs only need to do the top section, for now i just laid the parts that go there on top. I'll keep you all posted.

Sorry for the crappy pics, no daylight at 2:39AM over here in the Netherlands :D
Here's 2 shots of the real dagger. First one is a cap from ED 1. Grip is basicly the same as the EDII version, the long chickenbones
near the blade apparently broke off in the second movie, hence i only left them partially on mine.
eddagger1.jpg

eddagger2.jpg

kandariandagger%20001.jpg

kandariandagger%20002.jpg

kandariandagger%20003.jpg

Last edited:
Re: WIP> Evil Dead II: Kandarian Dagger

LOL That looks awesome mate:) Indeed it does, what was the kit you used BTW? Are those chicken bones I spy? LOL I hope you are going to offer these up?

Regards
TAZ

The kit i used was the Skillcraft 'Visible Man', but it is basicly a re-isue of the Renwal kit from the 50's and Revell did the same one as well.

And yes, those are chickenbones, just like on the original :D

Another fun thing about props like this is, that you don't realise how fricking huge they are until you lay out the parts and get an idea of how big it is going to be. I estimate the grip being aroung 19-20 cm and the blade about 22-23, making a total length of about 40 cm (which is nearly 16")

Last edited:

I was just wondering about this the other day! And after you first mentioned that you were looking for a1:6th skeleton, I dug the one I have out of it's box and was going to contact you.

Looks like you've got the real deal. Did you find someone who had inside knowledge on what it was made from?

I was just wondering about this the other day! And after you first mentioned that you were looking for a1:6th skeleton, I dug the one I have out of it's box and was going to contact you.

Looks like you've got the real deal. Did you find someone who had inside knowledge on what it was made from?

Appreciate it mate :) After looking on ebay for a while i finally found someone that was charging a fair amount for shipping and snagged it.

I basicly pieced everything together from bits and pieces of info i collected over the years. Screencaps from the movie and the featurette on the ED1 DVD, pics from conventions and an interview with Sullivan i once read abou the dagger, where he mentions what he used and did to build it.

Appreciate it mate :) After looking on ebay for a while i finally found someone that was charging a fair amount for shipping and snagged it.

I basicly pieced everything together from bits and pieces of info i collected over the years. Screencaps from the movie and the featurette on the ED1 DVD, pics from conventions and an interview with Sullivan i once read abou the dagger, where he mentions what he used and did to build it.

Well, it's looking great!:thumbsup

Was a big fan of the Evil Dead movies when I was a kid. Still quite fond of them. :)

I had the Revell Visible man I was a kid! Recently found a photo of me holding it.

That's looking awesome. This would be a nice prop to own! :love

Here's the version I sculpted from scratch about 4 years ago. I never did cast one for my own collection. LOL

Kandarian_Dagger_3.jpg

Kandarian_Dagger_2.jpg

Kandarian_Dagger.jpg

Kandarian_Dagger_1.jpg

Refining the grip. Learned a lot of new details from staring at screencaps from EDII for way too long. Still a work in progress, but i think i am getting there.

One thing that will need to be done when the sculpt is finished is make a resin copy of it and 'rough' up the areas between the bones, on the original it looks to have the texture of dried mud. I am thinking of using plaster or papermache to get that effect and then remold it again.

Have a pretty good idea on how i want to build the blade, probably going to start on that soon too.

here are some pics of the grip in its current state:

kandariandagger-1%20001.jpg

kandariandagger-1%20002.jpg

kandariandagger-1%20003.jpg

kandariandagger-1%20004.jpg

kandariandagger-1%20005.jpg

God I sure am glad Pat took the brunt of the #1 spot:lol Now I can fall in line.
mike

Very interested in your design. Are you making the aluminum blade and / or the spinal blade?

Rebel Hunter, I have one of yours from the initial run. I have it displayed above my television.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back