Tomb Raider - Triangle of Light - WIP

juno

Sr Member
I'm working up a drawing of the Triangle of Light from the first Tomb Raider movie. Before I get into the detail work, I was hoping to get some feedback on where I am so far (my eyes are starting to cross.)

Mine:
107382963_4093507bef_o.jpg

Screencap:
107383547_d9223c3e73_o.jpg

Other than the fact that the triangle at the bottom of the eye looks like it should be larger than the others and go to the outside of the circle, I'd say that you're off to one hell of a start.

Here's another grab:

triangle_rpf.JPG

In addition to Pete's suggestion, here are my proportional observations:

triangle_art.jpg

- increase the ID of the spoked area
- make the wide spokes parallel, not radial
- broaden the base of the outer triangles
- increase the ID of the outer ring

Are you planning on sculpting a triangle? If so, hook up with Franz Bolo and Applied Metal - see their combined efforts in the Constantine Brass Knuckles project thread. I've been helping them with screen shots and graphics from the Tomb Raider DVD for their upcoming Clock of Ages and Triangle of Light project.

Looking good. :)

- Gabe

Clay's the one that set me on this project. I'm a huge TR fan. If I had a scanner, I'd scan in the blueprints on the inside of a magazine I have (this is for the Clock of Ages).
tif

Originally posted by juno@Mar 3 2006, 10:05 PM
Clay's the one that set me on this project.  I'm a huge TR fan.  If I had a scanner, I'd scan in the blueprints on the inside of a magazine I have (this is for the Clock of Ages).
tif
[snapback]1198357[/snapback]​
Tif,
Awesome job so far. Good idea putting it up for confirmation.

Gabe, thanks for your input as well.
This project will follow immediately the knucks. I have already ordered material. What should the dimensions be on each of the 3 sides??

Just estimating from the scale of the hands holding it, I figured about 10-12 inches per side??

Let me know.
Thanks again Tif--looking forward to getting this one going.

Appliedmetal

Clay, just eyeballing it and holding a ruler in my hands, I'd say go with 12" at the very least.

As for the magazine scans, do you mean these watermarks:

clock_blueprint_1.jpg

clock_blueprint_2.jpg

watermarkclockface.JPG

watermarkclockface2.JPG

clock_scans1.jpg

clock_top.jpg

I got them from someone who saved copies from the old project thread.

Here are some grabs I snapped off the DVD that will also help:

3rd_look.JPG

4th_look_8.JPG

clock_photo_magnified.JPG

6th_look_1.JPG

and the glyphs on the face of the clock and the inner rings:

icons_w.gif

I've got a bunch more, but let's devote a separate thread to the Clock of Ages when we're ready to move and in the meantime Tim can hopefully clean up and trace over the scans I sent him. :)

- Gabe

Awesome -- I have the magazine, so if I can convince some of my designer friends to scan it, I will.

Back to the triangle:
107448798_9b69ab1493_o.jpg

Tif,

Way cool--thanks fo rmoving so quickly on this one. I would like to have some of these done by the time the Michigan Prop party rolls around.

Look forward to seeing you there.

On another note--What type of finish should I use for the Triangle?? I am goin gto machine it out of Aluminum probably.

Open to suggestions here.

Appliedmetal

The finish will be a difficult choice. In different scenes, it has a differnt color. Sometimes its a bluish finish other mor of a brass/bronze look

I was the one who cleaned-up the Watermark Images so you could actually see them way back when we were going to do the Clock then the project interest faded away...
clock_top.jpg

Originally posted by juno@Mar 3 2006, 11:42 PM
Awesome -- I have the magazine, so if I can convince some of my designer friends to scan it, I will.

Back to the triangle:
107448798_9b69ab1493_o.jpg

[snapback]1198418[/snapback]​

Hey there Tif,
Just wanted to let youknow the way the program works that we are going to import into--It picks up the darker spots and pushes them back--White comes to the front (top) grey is in the middle somewhere. So-that being said, whatever we want raised should be white-second level should be grey and recessed areas shold be black.

Hope this helps--
Appliedmetal

Originally posted by appliedmetal@Mar 4 2006, 02:11 AM

Just estimating from the scale of the hands holding it, I figured about 10-12 inches per side??

It looks it would be about 10 inches to me...

Nice to see someone tackling these again. The drawing of the "Triangle of Light" looks like its coming along great.
I think a few of the pics of the Clock of Ages are some I sent to Clay awhile back. Not to hijack, but is someone going to try to do the clock as well? I know Clay and I were trading info for a while a few months back, but thats as far as it went. Anyone care to hazard a guess as to what the thickness of the Triangle and the Clock are? How about the diameter of the clock?

Originally posted by 8 perf@Mar 4 2006, 07:08 PM
Nice to see someone tackling these again.  The drawing of the "Triangle of Light" looks like its coming along great.
I think a few of the pics of the Clock of Ages are some I sent to Clay awhile back.  Not to hijack, but is someone going to try to do the clock as  well?  I know Clay and I were trading info for a while a few months back, but thats as far as it went.  Anyone care to hazard a guess as to what the thickness of the Triangle and the Clock are?  How about the diameter of the clock?
[snapback]1198827[/snapback]​

Hey there--Well, Some of these pics are the ones you sent me--Not the exact ones you sent me, but the same ones--look like they have gotten around, but not from me. I just started this thread again as I am going to do the Triangle and then we are going to get started on the Clock. I can use any and all help I can get on this one. It will be a collective effort.

Im just bullheaded enough to tackle it on my own, but with the resources here--that would be dumb :eek

So--The Triangle first--then the Clock--Any ideas where we should start--I know that the graphic design will be a good place. I need to get dimensions for the case and components so we can see what it is going to take to machine these.I will make masters and then cast them out of the AMT also to help bring the cost down as machined parts for this will take time and effort, not to mention lots of machine time.

At any rate--We are moving along.

IN regards to the triangle--I need confirmation on the dimensions also and is the back the same as the front??

I have ordered material for this already...

Thanks in advance

Appliedmetal

triangle.jpg

Things I noticed:

1) It looks like there is another line over the eye.

2) The curve on yours dips to fast. It looks like it goes left, then curves.

3) These lines don't look like they converge, they look parallel.

4) I think this block is slightly wider then the others.

FB

Originally posted by franz bolo@Mar 4 2006, 10:08 PM
triangle.jpg

Things I noticed:

1) It looks like there is another line over the eye.

2) The curve on yours dips to fast. It looks like it goes left, then curves.

3) These lines don't look like they converge, they look parallel.

4) I think this block is slightly wider then the others.

FB
[snapback]1198896[/snapback]​

Good eye for details Franz.

We also need to have the break line in good detail as this will be in 2 pieces also and when they ar eput together, you shoul dnot be able to tell.

Im thinking about a way to display this also--any ideas anyone. I can make a stand for them to go in --no problem. I was even thinking a glass display case--maybe.

We will see after they get done.

Anxious to get going on them. --After I get the Knucks done and all orders filled.

Email me for more details on these anyone

I've already started modeling the clock, and when I have something presentable, I'll be posting it for peer review. Clay and I tentatively agreed to work together on this, and I have an electrical engineer buddy who I've brought into the fold to design a "plug-and-play" circuit with light sheets and a pulsing amber All-Seeing-Eye that would be activated by a tact switch hidden in the backside keyhole.

In the meantime, I've pegged the triangle dimensions at 10.5" a side and 1.75" thick, and yes, the two sides are identical. The 3D CAD model in forced perspective mode lays perfectly over the screen captures.

1141553220_triangle_compare.JPG

My idea for an MR style stand and display base (acrylic cover omitted for clarity):

triangle_assy.JPG

B)

- Gabe

Originally posted by Prop Runner@Mar 5 2006, 07:21 AM
I've already started modeling the clock, and when I have something presentable, I'll be posting it for peer review.  Clay and I tentatively agreed to work together on this, and I have an electrical engineer buddy who I've brought into the fold to design a "plug-and-play" circuit with light sheets and a pulsing amber All-Seeing-Eye that would be activated by a tact switch hidden in the backside keyhole.

In the meantime, I've pegged the triangle dimensions at 10.5" a side and 1.75" thick, and yes, the two sides are identical.  The 3D CAD model in forced perspective mode lays perfectly over the screen captures.

1141553220_triangle_compare.JPG

My idea for an MR style stand and display base (acrylic cover omitted for clarity):

triangle_assy.JPG

B)

- Gabe
[snapback]1199045[/snapback]​
Gabr,
You never cease to amaze me with your resources.
I just notived that there are engravings and patterns on the sides as well--Do we have any better images than what are shown---

Tif--Can you do anything with wnat yoou see here??

10.5" is good. Then material I ordered was slightly bigger--but not a problem.

Great Idea for the stand also Gabe--what about a slight modification where it could show them split just a little bit also?

Keep the information coming--the more the better--...

Clay

I was going to mention the sides too. If you look close , near the points, you will see that the sides are not flat either. They appear to be "dimpled" or folded in near the corners.

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back