U.S.S. Reliant, 36 inch DeBoer Hulls model

Deleted

Sr Member
I am currently building this Starship Reliant N.C.C 1864 model. The finished model is about 36 inches long.

reliant_parts.jpg

It is in scale to the Starship U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701-A I built last year.

This is work in progress. More photos will follow soon.

Tim

Wow, I was just looking at the 1701-A diary. That is some freakin spectacular model work.

Can't wait to see this one.

Wowzers........ They finally released it..... :eek

I wonder what it is going for? You have a link to their site at all?

Gonna look great though. B)

Your work on the 1701-A is the best I've seen, it truly looks like the studio model. I'm sure this one will be just as good.

I've been waiting for like 2 years to see that model offered. I wish I could afford one, but that has always been my favorite ship. Something about its aggressive posture and the incredible camera shots of it made me fall in love with it at the tender age of 8. TMP Enterprise and Excelsior are in my top fave list with this one though. I cant wait to see what you do with it. I imagine its a 1600 dollar model like the Enterpise A?

Well if Tim got #1, then only 14 more kits available. According to the website. Looks like a "get it now or tomorrow gone" kinda proposition.

Yes, that would be me again :). I have that kit for about 5 months now. The price was unfortunately even higher than the Enterprise - and it has a couple of small flaws which I hope Tim is able to correct. I have no doubt this will turn out as another excellent model.

Tobias

Originally posted by tobiasrichter@Mar 4 2006, 06:25 PM
Yes, that would be me again :). I have that kit for about 5 months now. The price was unfortunately even higher than the Enterprise - and it has a couple of small flaws which I hope Tim is able to correct. I have no doubt this will turn out as another excellent model.

Tobias
[snapback]1198833[/snapback]​

What flaws are you referring to? I was seriously considering this kit, and already have the Enterprise model. (Need a whole room to display both.)

KK

Overall, this is a very nice kit and I don´t regret buying it.

That said, the things I noticed so far are:
The curvature of the torpedo pylon is slightly off - too straight in the middle.
A bit difficult to fix is that the sensors on the top of the saucers (those "clamps") are about half a centimeter too far on the outside, making it almost impossible to line up correctly with the red stripes on the front saucer.
And the bridge is also slightly tilted to the back - same thing as with the Enterprise.
As I said, nothing major, but unfortunate (especially the sensor issue)

Hope that helps,
Tobias

Originally posted by tobiasrichter@Mar 5 2006, 08:33 AM
Overall, this is a very nice kit and I don´t regret buying it.

That said, the things I noticed so far are:
The curvature of the torpedo pylon is slightly off - too straight in the middle.
A bit difficult to fix is that the sensors on the top of the saucers (those "clamps") are about half a centimeter too far on the outside, making it almost impossible to line up correctly with the red stripes on the front saucer.
And the bridge is also slightly tilted to the back - same thing as with the Enterprise.
As I said, nothing major, but unfortunate (especially the sensor issue)

Hope that helps,
Tobias
[snapback]1199070[/snapback]​
I saw the photos on Dennis' page, and notice the sensors immediately... thought it may have been a camera/photograph issue. But apparently not. How do you fix that? It's not a seperate part you add to the hull, and would be really tough to physically move. Has Tim had any ideas or is he going to leave 'well enough' alone?

KK

It will be a challenge to change the sensors. The only way is to cut them out and fit them in at the right position, filling the gap with styrene and putty. Not an easy task, but I think it could be done. I hope Tim will try it ...

Tobias

Originally posted by tobiasrichter@Mar 5 2006, 10:46 AM
It will be a challenge to change the sensors. The only way is to cut them out and fit them in at the right position, filling the gap with styrene and putty. Not an easy task, but I think it could be done. I hope Tim will try it ...

Tobias
[snapback]1199126[/snapback]​

after looking for a bit, I think the problem is bigger... I think Dennis used his 1701 primary hull as the starting point (for obvious reasons). The taper/curve is too flat. Like the nacelles, the primary hull has a more pronounced curve, thicker in the middle if you will. Just moving the sensors won't do it. They look to be in the right place based on the back section.
Tough one.

KK

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back