ncis props

Excuse my ignorance, but what's NCIS?

A US TV show, I'm guessing?
6-4.jpg

Man, you don't know NCIS?
Gibbs, DiNozzo, Abby?

It's like CSI (not really), but it's good. :p

No seriously, it's a fantastic show and I'm anxiously awaiting the Season 4 DVD box. Interested in any props too. :)

I don't know if anybody besides me pays that close attention to the guns used, but there are several episodes where the Sigs are out in a "Non-firing" scene and they are actually using the Sig Sauer brand P229 (to stand in for the real P228) with the little orange cone taken off.

The most obvious scene is with Tony and Kate outside the nightclub when they are talking to the sister of a dead sailor (guest star was/is Mia the singer). Tony pulls his sig on one of the bouncers and you can see that the barrel is nowhere near the proper diameter.

So technically, the airsoft would be screen accurate.

I've got a hat, the first episode script and a signed cast photo from one of the people that used to work in the art department. I had a little screen used tiger that was also used in the first episode but traded that off for another prop to someone on the board here.

Awesome buddy, as usual the best tv cop show replicas on the planet earth!!! love it. Hope things are well, regards, Todd.

Hi Todd,
Things are good. Thanks. I've got a couple of both NIS and NCIS props mixed in with real NIS/NCIS stuff i.e., in that display the NCIS wallet, portfolio, key fob, badge belt clip, etc. are all real NCIS issue. Inside the portfolio are some real NCIS wanted fliers. Thanks for the compliment, but my collection is pretty humble compared to others out there...but I'm still pretty proud of it.

Here are samples of the NCIS Investigator and Special Agent shields.

NCISsets.jpg

NCIS is one of my favorite shows, when I get time to watch it. The lab girl used to play the hot police PR rep in the sci-fi series, Special Unit 2. It was nice to see her surface on NCIS.

eltee

Last edited:
I did not make it, but I think I have Gibbs' knife. Does anyone have a capture from ep. 308 Under Covers? It only appeared briefly (When Gibbs opened the package addressed to Ziva) but I think it was the Smith & Wesson Folding, Special Tactical, Silver, Drop Point Blade 40% Serrated.

knife.jpg

I don't know if anybody besides me pays that close attention to the guns used, but there are several episodes where the Sigs are out in a "Non-firing" scene and they are actually using the Sig Sauer brand P229 (to stand in for the real P228) with the little orange cone taken off.

The most obvious scene is with Tony and Kate outside the nightclub when they are talking to the sister of a dead sailor (guest star was/is Mia the singer). Tony pulls his sig on one of the bouncers and you can see that the barrel is nowhere near the proper diameter.

So technically, the airsoft would be screen accurate.

That actually is a common problem when REAL guns, also, are used. We "blank" real guns in one of three common ways (generally).

1. Special barrel with a tapered bore. Allows the right amount of heat, gas & flash to escape but occludes the exit end enough to build up the required amount of pressure to cycle the gun (semi-auto).

2. A plug is fitted into the regular barrel. The plug is removeable (usually) and has a precision hole cut in the middle of it. The hole size is carefully determined in order to allow the semi-auto cycling to function.

3. If it is a common gun with lots of barrels available, a used (often shot out) barrel is simply welded closed, and the appropriate diameter hole is machined into it.

ALl 3 methods result in a smallish looking bore when filming a gun where the end of the barrel is seen, especially if light hits it.

Now, my comments are largely "old school" and YMMV, but my experience has been that crews will generally use a rubber duck (casting of gun, made of soft to hard rubber, sometimes cast aluminum or resin, but usually rubber). This eliminates the need for a certified gun wrangler since blanks, squibs, etc. nor any real guns will be used, a prop guy can handle static props. They will, sometimes, simply use the real that have been rigged for blanks but that requires an armorer to be on set.

You're probably right on the NCIS example, though. Clearly there is a surge in the use of airsofts and replica guns designed from the beginning to shoot blanks but there are still lots of real guns out there that have been converted by entertainment industry armorers as described. Good eyes on your part! :ninja

Last edited:
The show "The Invisible Man" was big on using airsofts for non-shooting gun scenes. You really couldn't tell, until they would shoot at an angle where you could see the bb barrel inside of the larger barrel. :lol I've also seen airsofts unsed in cheap action movies with the muzzle flash added in later.

eltee, interesting information about how the make blank-firing weapons. I remember seeing a gun magazine back in the late 60s, or early 70s that had an article on how they modify guns for blanks, wish I had that magazine.

David.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back